ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit Visa to Ireland for Russian Student in UK

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Visit Visa to Ireland for Russian Student in UK

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Is it possible to get one quickly!

I've been offered a free weekend and my gf who here on student visa valid till 2008 wants to come. Trouble is it's the weekend after next.

The only alternative is to go by myself, I know!

Steve

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:44 pm

According to the Dept of Justice, Tourist visa's to Ireland take 6-8 weeks to process. But in my experience from my husabands applications from Indonesia, they are often quicker (5-7 wks).

You submit the app to the Irish Embassy in your country (UK?). It's worth asking them how long they reckon, but I doubt it is anywhere near as quick as 2 wks :( Irish Embassy in London Tel: 020 7235 2171

All apps from embassys abroad are sent on to Dublin Dept of Justice for processing, so this adds to the time to process.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:00 pm

scrudu wrote:According to the Dept of Justice, Tourist visa's to Ireland take 6-8 weeks to process. But in my experience from my husabands applications from Indonesia, they are often quicker (5-7 wks).

You submit the app to the Irish Embassy in your country (UK?). It's worth asking them how long they reckon, but I doubt it is anywhere near as quick as 2 wks :( Irish Embassy in London Tel: 020 7235 2171

All apps from embassys abroad are sent on to Dublin Dept of Justice for processing, so this adds to the time to process.
Yes sorry we are in UK, I know this is a long shot but hows this for a wizzard wheeze:

I'm actually doing some work in Cork, all proper and accounted, of a self employed basis for an Irish company, who I reguarly do work for remotely over t'internet.

[CHEEKY BASTARD MODE]

Can I, claim treaty rights and take my gf with a hastily arranged EEA permit?

[/CHEEKY BASTARD MODE]

Gf is Russian on UK Student Visa till 2008. I know we'd prolly get away with jsut going but no way are we gonna risk it....

Steve

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:34 am

haha worth a shot, but I think it will take even more time for an EA Treaty Permit than a Tourist Visa!

If you check other posts regarding applying for Treaty Rights in Ireland, people have been quoted 6 months for applications to be processed! So quite a bit longer than a tourist visa. So far, no one on this site has posted that they have actually been issued with an EA Treaty Permit, so in reality we dont actually know how long it will take!

Add to that, you have to show proof of your relationship from your country (UK) to show that your relationship is akin to marriage. I'm not sure what documentation you need to prove this relationship.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:49 pm

scrudu wrote: Add to that, you have to show proof of your relationship from your country (UK) to show that your relationship is akin to marriage. I'm not sure what documentation you need to prove this relationship.
We're planning for Unmarried Partner Visa and so have amassed as much proff/docs/mails/bill etc and we can. We've lived together for 14 months now.

Look like I will have to go alone and stay in the pub. How sad!

Steve

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:19 pm

Doesn't the Common Travel Area work in your favour here, at least on a de facto basis? Shouldn't there be a lack of passport control between the UK and Ireland? Or will they not let her even on a plane at the airport?

All I know is that I checked in with my UK driving licence at Stansted for a flight to Dublin. They didn't even ask for my passport, which would have been non-EU anyway. The Irish were equally disinterested in my nationality. I'm not suggesting categorically that you should do the same thing, but I am asking a rhetorical question...do you even need to go through this rigamarole to get your Russian girlfriend an Irish visa in the first place?

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 pm

Yeah Steve, it is pretty sad that Ireland and the UK havent joined the Schengen Agreement as if we had, we would be looking at the strong possibility that our partners/spouses when granted Immigration rights in one EU country, that they could travel without visas to other EU countries. But it doesnt look like either country is willing to give up on their control on their borders.

RobinLondon: My understanding of the CTA was it was for British (UK?) and Irish Passport holders only to allow for freedom of travel between the two countries.

As part of the CTA, the UK and Ireland have an agreement that the UK will stop people in the UK that would not be allowed enter Ireland, e.g. a non-EU without a visa for IRL transiting though London for dublin would be stopped in London before they got to Dublin.

I dont think the CTA applies to holders of other passports to travel between the two countries. Not 100% though!

That said, you do not need a passport to travel betwen the UK and Ireland, so as for in reality how it works .... I guess Immigration only question if they are suspicious, which today could be at anytime.

There are no border checks on most routes from NIreland to the South, so I dont know how they would even know if she came that way. As for the Ferry from Holyhead, Immigration are there, but only ask random people to show ID. Again if you have a UK Drivers licence, I dont know how they know what your nationality is!

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 pm

scrudu wrote:Again if you have a UK Drivers licence, I dont know how they know what your nationality is!
A drivers licence is not proof of nationality but rather identity. In any case the UK driver licence has place of birth on it - where this is not the UK the IO can infer that you may not be British but not definitley e.g. naturalised citizens and likewise taking into account that birth in the UK (post 1 Jan 1983) in itself does not mean you are automatically British. The relevant immigration legislation between the UK and Republic of Ireland governments exempts only their respective citizens from any visa and passport requirements. Any one who is not in this category and is not visa exempt i.e. EU/EEA Nationals and does not hold the relevant visa for ROI is an illegal entrant period. Your day trip to ROI could end up with you in the cells and a deportation back to the UK or where there is no guarantee of your admission here back to your home country.