ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Your experience with FBR for child?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mc510
Newly Registered

Your experience with FBR for child?

Post by mc510 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:11 am

I want to file FBR applications for my two young children (born in USA to me, an Irish citizen by FBR) but am a bit confused about what documentation is required.

The FBR1B form says that I should submit for each child: birth certificate (okay, that's easy), and "Certified copy of current passport OR identity document." My four year old child does not HAVE a passport or "identity document" (driver's license, I guess).

For me, it wants "certified copy of passport or identity document." I'd rather not spend $50 to get a certified copy of my US Passport, so how about that "identity document," I'd be happy to send a copy of my driver's license ... but what do they mean by "certified copy?"

Anyone know from experience what documents are actually needed/acceptable for my children and myself?

alphagear
Member of Standing

Re: Your experience with FBR for child?

Post by alphagear » Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 am

In the UK a certified copy can be made by a solicitor.

i doubt it would cost 50 dollars.

Basically a photocopy of the biopages and signed by the solicitor.

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Sun May 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Is your child entitled to Irish citizenship? Who was her last Irish born relative. It cannot be continued on indefinitely.

See the graph halfway down the page that explains - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html

mc510
Newly Registered

Post by mc510 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:13 pm

alphagear wrote:In the UK a certified copy can be made by a solicitor. i doubt it would cost 50 dollars. Basically a photocopy of the biopages and signed by the solicitor.
Well that would certainly simply things and cut down the cost! In the US, however, the State Department actually produces certified copies of passports for a $50 fee. I guess I will check with the local consulate about whether they really need this kind of certification, or if a signature by a lawyer, or by a notary public is sufficient.

Still not sure how to deal with the children, however, who have no passports or "identification documents" ... what do people in the US use for this purpose?
JimCrawford wrote:Is your child entitled to Irish citizenship? Who was her last Irish born relative. It cannot be continued on indefinitely. See the graph halfway down the page that explains
Jim, thanks for that page! My grandparents were born in Ireland; I completed FBR in 1989; my kids were born subsequent to that. So I think they fall under "E" in the chart, and are eligible. Sound right to you?

JimCrawford
Newly Registered

Post by JimCrawford » Tue May 26, 2015 1:13 am

Yes, they are good to go so. :D

minihaus
Newly Registered

Post by minihaus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:19 am

mc510 wrote:I want to file FBR applications for my two young children (born in USA to me, an Irish citizen by FBR) but am a bit confused about what documentation is required.

The FBR1B form says that I should submit for each child: birth certificate (okay, that's easy), and "Certified copy of current passport OR identity document." My four year old child does not HAVE a passport or "identity document" (driver's license, I guess).

For me, it wants "certified copy of passport or identity document." I'd rather not spend $50 to get a certified copy of my US Passport, so how about that "identity document," I'd be happy to send a copy of my driver's license ... but what do they mean by "certified copy?"

Anyone know from experience what documents are actually needed/acceptable for my children and myself?
Hi there!

I went through this same exact confusion, and lost $100 trying to get a certified copy of my mother and I's passports. All you need is to get a notarized copy. The language causes a lot of confusion and I spent hours on the internet trying to figure out what I was actually supposed to submit here.

When you mail the $50 in to get a certified copy of your passport - you actually are only requesting a copy of your passport RECORDS. Because you hold your passport, they can't actually make a photocopy of it, nor can they certify the identity of the person requesting as you're submitting by mail. You're just going to get back a bunch of documents showing the proof you submitted in order to get your passport in the first place. It's helpful to have if you're ever traveling and lose your passport, but not really useful in any other way. We also both sent our letters and checks in back in January. I never received anything back (although they did cash my check in February). My mom got hers back about a month ago and she was really angry because all the records came back unsealed in the mail with her social security number on them and everything.

Long story short, just bring your passport to a notary. They can't certify the validity of the passport, but they can certify a statement saying that you claim the document is real and that it's you, and that should be all you need.

Hopefully that's helpful!!!