ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any restriction to register marriage while on e-visa?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hm7
Mood:

Any restriction to register marriage while on e-visa?

Post by hm7 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi there,

I am a British Citizen (was a Indian Citizen before) and travelling to India for my marriage. I wanted to check is there any restriction on getting married in India, while you are on e-Tourist visa, I mean getting marriage registered in India, where you are a British citizen (on e-Visa) and your partner is Indian citizen?

Is there any specific requirement for you to have the particular [Indian] visa and/or any other related documentation to register marriage in India... in this scenario?

Apologies in case this question doesn't belong here, thought of asking in case anybody know about it from their experience.

Thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Any restriction to register marriage while on e-visa?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Try Google.

This blogpost by an English woman who moved to India and got married there is very detailed (and romantically evocative too). It would be a good starting point for planning.

As I understand it, an e-visa is only valid for 30 days (I could be wrong) and you need a visa longer than that to give notice of marriage in India (from the link above). As an ex-Indian citizen, you can apply for an X-visa, which should get processed within one working week.

This link suggests a possible reason why you need a visa longer than 30 days. Apparently, there is a 30 day cooling off period between filing the paperwork at court and the actual civil marriage (which you would have to do as you are now a foreigner). The whole process takes about 60 days. And that is not including the Big Fat Indian wedding, which can take a lot more days.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.