ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone applied for OCI (India), Procedure ?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

herts
Member of Standing

Anyone applied for OCI (India), Procedure ?

Post by herts » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi guys,
I have just become father of a baby boy. Me and my wife hold ILR on Indian passport, I assume baby can have only British passport ?
If thats the case, does anyone know if baby can apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India), and how much time it takes plese.
Thanks and Regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:18 am

Acquisition of Indian Citizenship by descent wrote:A person born outside India on or after 3rd Decmber, 2004 shall not be a citizen of India, unless the parents declare that the minor does not hold passport of another country and his birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period.
Therefore, you can still opt for Indian citizenship for your child.
Who is eligible for OCI? wrote:A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at anytime after 26.01.1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such person are also eligible for OCI.
From what I have been able to understand from this statement is that if you register your child as a British citizen he will become eligible for OCI only when either of the parents apply for OCI / naturalise as British Citizens.

See *** OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA (OCI) ***
Also Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

regards

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:33 am

Apparently, a minor cannot apply for an OCI if both the parents are Indian Citizens
BB

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:25 am

Hi sushdmehta, chakku,
thanks for the quick replies. Hmm, reading your comments and doing the research, I think I would apply for baby's British passport and then get an Indian visa stamped. Later when I get Brit passport then shall apply OCI for baby. I think thats the only option I have got ?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

I think you can still apply for a PIO card.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Option 1
1. Register your child as British citizen.
2. Apply for PIO card.
3. Apply for OCI when either of you (parents) apply for OCI / naturalise as British citizens.

Option 2
1. Register your child as British citizen.
2. Apply for OCI when either of you (parents) apply for OCI / naturalise as British citizens.

Option 3
1. Register your child as Indian citizen (have mentioned above that this is possible and up to you).
2. Apply for leave to remain as child (UK born) of a settled person or (if allowed) British citizenship under section 1(3) of the nationality act.
3. If section 1(3) is not applicable if a UK born child acquires foreign citizenship first, then follow normal route of LTR ->ILR -> naturalisation -> OCI/PIO.

regards

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi sushdmehta,
Just back home for sometime from hospital, as baby and mum are still there.
As regards to Option 3, good to have Indian passport for baby, but fees for LTR, ILR would be higher.
Our plan is, mum and baby want to visit India in 3 months time, what do you guys suggest, I think getting babys British passport and then Indian visitor visa, or British passport and PIO card, which one is quickest and less expensive ?
Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:13 pm

As on date:
Fee for PIO = GBP 110.00 (minors)
Fee for OCI = GBP 165.00
Fee for visit visa = GBP 30.00

Visit visa is issued within days, PIO card could take 4-8 weeks (or more), OCI about 12 weeks or more. Best to check with High Commission of India.

regards

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Re: Anyone applied for OCI (India), Procedure ?

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:45 pm

herts wrote:Hi guys,
I have just become father of a baby boy. Me and my wife hold ILR on Indian passport, I assume baby can have only British passport ?
If thats the case, does anyone know if baby can apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India), and how much time it takes plese.
Thanks and Regards
Herts, I have no experience in these matters whatsoever. But I take this opportunity to convey my congratulation and best wishes for the newborn.
Third World Traveller

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 pm

sushdmehta wrote:As on date:
Fee for PIO = GBP 110.00 (minors)
Fee for OCI = GBP 165.00
Fee for visit visa = GBP 30.00

Visit visa is issued within days, PIO card could take 4-8 weeks (or more), OCI about 12 weeks or more. Best to check with High Commission of India.

regards
thanks for the info sushdmehta, i will try and go for visit visa for now, it looks faster and cheaper option for temporary purpose.
Thanks Hsmp_maybe for your wishes, my baby boy is fine, and wife is also doing good. I am very pleased with NHS maternity unit, they have looked after the baby and mum very well, little bit short staffed here and there but am not moaning on it.