ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad to a British Citizen Father & IndianMother

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

askforanjali99
Newly Registered

Child born abroad to a British Citizen Father & IndianMother

Post by askforanjali99 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Child born abroad to a British Citizen Father & Indian Mother:-

I am a British Citizen by Naturalization (Since 2013) and my wife is an Indian national.
Recently we have moved to Republic of Ireland. She has applied for European Union Residence Card (application is in progress).

She is pregnant now and we are planning to have the first baby in Republic of Ireland.
Could you please let me know whether

(1) I am eligible to apply for a British Passport for child or do I need to apply for an Indian Passport?

(2) If, I am eligible to apply British Passport, Can I apply from Republic of Ireland, what's the procedure and how long will it take.

(3) Can I apply Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card immediately after getting British passport?

Thanks and regards,

SJ

secret.simon

Re: Child born abroad to a British Citizen Father & IndianMo

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:25 am

If born in Ireland, the child would be a British and Indian citizen by birth and also be eligible for Irish citizenship.

See here for process of applying for a child passport for a child born in Ireland.
askforanjali99 wrote:(3) Can I apply Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card immediately after getting British passport?
A question for the Other Countries forum. Can the mods move the thread to that forum?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Child born abroad to a British Citizen Father & IndianMo

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 am

Well the child cannot be an Indian citizens and them British and Irish.

He will seek the right to claim Indian Citizenship if his or are parents applies for Irish or British citizenship.

OSI is clearly not the same as full Indian citizenship.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors