Indian Passport renewal in London - queries

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: sushdmehta, John, ChetanOjha, batleykhan, push, JAJ, Casa, archigabe, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, ca.funke, Amber, Administrator, sbrennan

Postby sushdmehta » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Slightly off-topic:

Are there any "security" restrictions in place at HCI London on carrying bags into the premises? Need to carry a cabin bag on the day, so wondering!


regards
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby ukukukuk2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:14 pm

No issues at all . I carried my Bag with me . Even though they have a wriiten sign saying bag not allowed , they allow it after a check .

As usual you will have to just open it and show to security , and he wont even really check what is inside ..He will just glance as if his eyes is a metal detector and allow u .. :lol:

So dont worry ..



sushdmehta wrote:Slightly off-topic:

Are there any "security" restrictions in place at HCI London on carrying bags into the premises? Need to carry a cabin bag on the day, so wondering!


regards
ukukukuk2011
Newbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am

Postby sushdmehta » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Just worried since the bag is a "small suitcase" (eqv. size of airline cabin bag) and the person will be travelling all the way to London for this purpose (HCI) only, don't want to that he be refused entry for "carrying a bag"!

Can't find any related info. on the website (not surprising).

Thanks for the response, and the reassurance.


regards
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby krazydude » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 am

I do not want to scare anyone here but when I went to collect my OCI, I had a small backpack with some food (sandwiches, crisps), water, keys, umbrella, gloves, documents and a cap. It was a good thing that I went along with my wife as I was told when I was entering HCI that a bag is not allowed inside (they did not even open or check it, leave alone passing through a metal detector. None of the articles in the bag were a security risk). My wife had to sit with the bag in the cold outside the HCI (on a damp stone boulder). Good thing is that it took me around 15-20 mins to get my OCI so she did not have to wait too long.

I think if you go on day when the security guys are in a good mood, you can carry pretty much anything you want with you inside.
krazydude
Member of Standing
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 am

Postby sushdmehta » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Never got down to having it done .. yet! Hence, another query ...

Do they return the current-but-expiring-soon or expired passport when the application for re-issue is submitted? Or do they keep it in their custody until a new one is collected?


regards
They keep it.


regards
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby ukukukuk2011 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Yes . That is the main reason i went for same day service . Submitted @ 10am got it around 3 pm .

Better to pay 40 £ extra ...than have sleepless nights without passport . And to be frank Indian embasyy is not a place who really cares for people's stuff ..Sorry to say that .But experience taught me that .





sushdmehta wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:Never got down to having it done .. yet! Hence, another query ...

Do they return the current-but-expiring-soon or expired passport when the application for re-issue is submitted? Or do they keep it in their custody until a new one is collected?


regards
They keep it.


regards
ukukukuk2011
Newbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am

Authorisation letter copy

Postby suj_ram27 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 am

Does any one have a sample copy of authorisation letter to be produced to take my wife's passport along with mine?

Appreciate any help
suj_ram27
Newly Registered
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 am

Postby sushdmehta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:59 am

Application submission
Passport submitted for renewal: 03/03/2011
Reached IHC London: 07:00
Token no. received: 06
Called to window: 09:35
Out of building: 09:40

Documents Submitted
1. Current-but-expiring-soon passport.
2. Application form, duly filled (electronically) and signed (by hand).
3. Photocopy of first, last and the current UK visa page.
(The IHC website states that photocopy of all non-blank pages is to be submitted, but all other pages - other than the above - were returned).
4. Two photographs (handed them separately, not attached / pasted on the form).
5. Fees in cash.

New passport collection
Collection date given: 10/03/2011
Date passport(s) collected: 11/03/2011
Reached IHC London: 15:30
Passport(s) collected: 16:30


Had a backpack on both occasions, which was checked both times on entry. On the day of application submission, there were people with cabin bags, baby strollers, handbags etc. and no one was denied entry. This said, a metal board nailed to the embassy wall does state that for security reasons bags are not allowed inside the premises.


Hope this helps.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby xyz123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:16 pm

sushdmehta wrote:[2. Application form, duly filled (electronically) and signed (by hand).


1- Can i just confirm that you used form below:

http://hcilondon.in/pdf/pdfform_1.pdf

2- Secondly is there only one queue in morning at HCI. I remember soemone mentioning that there are two seperate queues?

Thanks
J
xyz123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Postby sushdmehta » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:19 pm

1. Form available on the website.
2. One queue.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby xyz123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 pm

sushdmehta wrote:1. Form available on the website.
2. One queue.


Thanks. One more thing,. Is there a particular requirement for the photos to be less than a month old or something like that?
xyz123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Postby sushdmehta » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm

If you appearance has changed since the photograph was taken or if the person who attends to you "feels" so, you may have a problem.

Other than that I cannot say.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby surajban » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am

Hi,

I have to renew Indian passport, the address on the passport is other than the address on the marriage certificate (marriage certificate address is latest)

Now if i want to renew with the new address i don't have the address proof (utility bills etc..) so i thought about renewing with the old address but if i do it that does it come under deception.

I hope i put my points clear but if there is anything which been missed please put forward.

Please help.
Kind Regards
Suraj
surajban
Junior Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Postby krazydude » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:26 pm

surajban wrote:Hi,

I have to renew Indian passport, the address on the passport is other than the address on the marriage certificate (marriage certificate address is latest)

Now if i want to renew with the new address i don't have the address proof (utility bills etc..) so i thought about renewing with the old address but if i do it that does it come under deception.

I hope i put my points clear but if there is anything which been missed please put forward.

Please help.
Kind Regards
Suraj


Why would it be deception ?

You can use the address you have on your old passport to continue onto your new passport. Only in the event that you want to get it changed, you need address proof to be submitted.

Why do you want to submit your marriage certificate ? Are you going for a name change as well ?
krazydude
Member of Standing
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 am

Postby surajban » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm

krazydude wrote:
surajban wrote:Hi,

I have to renew Indian passport, the address on the passport is other than the address on the marriage certificate (marriage certificate address is latest)

Now if i want to renew with the new address i don't have the address proof (utility bills etc..) so i thought about renewing with the old address but if i do it that does it come under deception.

I hope i put my points clear but if there is anything which been missed please put forward.

Please help.
Kind Regards
Suraj


Why would it be deception ?

You can use the address you have on your old passport to continue onto your new passport. Only in the event that you want to get it changed, you need address proof to be submitted.

Why do you want to submit your marriage certificate ? Are you going for a name change as well ?


Thanks for your reply,

I am happy to keep the old passport address to new passport address even i don't want to submit marriage certificate at this time.

But in may 2011 i am going for ILR at that time i will be submitting my old passport, new passport and marriage certificate so at that time will there be any issue:

Old passport: address xyz in sep 2000
marriage cert: address abc in july 2007
new passport: address xyz in apr 2011 (same as old passport)

Kind Regards
surajban
Junior Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Postby sushdmehta » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:15 pm

surajban, the address in the passport doesn't necessarily have to be your "permanent" or "current" address. And "address in foreign passport" has no relevance to a settlement application.

The simple fact is - you may choose to have any address in the passport - same as old, one on marriage certificate, your current UK address, any other - your choice! But, for the address to be different in the new passport (from the one in the old / current one), you'll need to provide documentary evidence.

e.g.- having any address in the passport other than your "current UK address" at the time of application should be "deception", if your assumption were to be correct! But no one prefers to have a UK address in an Indian passport (or at least people I know of).
Last edited by sushdmehta on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

Postby surajban » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:22 pm

sushdmehta wrote:surajban, the address in the passport doesn't necessarily have to be your "permanent" or "current" address. And "address in foreign passport" has no relevance to a settlement application.

The simple fact is - you may choose to have any address in the passport - same as old, one on marriage certificate, your current UK address, any other - your choice! But, for the address to be different in the new passport (from the one in the old / current one), you'll need to provide documentary evidence.


Thanks a lot sushdmehta, I can go for the new passport next week.
Thanks again.
surajban
Junior Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Postby krazydude » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:16 am

e.g.- having any address in the passport other than your "current UK address" at the time of application should be "deception", if your assumption were to be correct! But no one prefers to have a UK address in an Indian passport (or at least people I know of).


My last Indian Passport (which I surrendered to get an OCI) had my current UK address on it. I had to submit address proof (utility bill) to get a UK address on it.
krazydude
Member of Standing
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 am

Postby surajban » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Any clue if the indian passport office in london open on saturday.
surajban
Junior Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Postby sushdmehta » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Visiting the website would have helped!
HCI -> Contact Us -> When wrote:The working hours of the High Commission of India on all working days are from 0915 hours to 1745 hours, Monday to Friday, except closed holidays and where the High Commission of India is closed on rare occasions under the directives of the Government of India to mark events.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!
sushdmehta
Moderator
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: does it matter?

PreviousNext

Return to Other countries

 


  • Related topics
    Views
    Replies
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ykum and 10 guests