ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport renewal in London - queries

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

surajban

Post by surajban » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 am

surajban wrote:
surajban wrote:Please find the sample letter and please let me know if any changes needed.

AUTHORISATION LETTER

Mr xyz
Address

04 April 2011

To,
The Assessing Officer
Sub: Application for Indian Passport

Dear Sir/Madam,

I xyz as an applicant would like to renew my Indian Passport which is going to expire on 10th Sep 2011, I work for abc from 9 to 5 on all working days so I am not able to submit my application on my own, So I request you to please accept my application through my brother 123

I give full authorization to my brother (123) to submit my application for Indian Passport, Please find the list of documents attached.

1. Current-but-expiring-soon passport
2. Application form duly filled and signed
3. Photocopy of first, last and the current UK visa page
4. Photocopy of all the pages of the passport
5. Two photographs
6. Fees in cash

I trust the information I have provided is satisfactory, however if you have any questions or queries or require additional information regarding any aspect of the application, please do not hesitate to contact me via any modes of communication.

signature
Yours sincerely,
xyz
address
Can someone please confirm will this kind of letter will be all right to go ahead or if someone ha gone through with this please forward the format of letter.

Kind Regards
Sbn
I renewed my passport by sending my brother with the above letter, hope the above letter help others.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 am

A quick question:

I know there is a long queue for submitting the renewal application and i plan to reach HCI by 7 am. What about collecting the passport? is tehre a long queue for that as well? i think the general timings for collection are 4-5pm so is it ok if i just go there at 4.45 pm or do i need to reach there earlier?

Thanks

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:48 pm

xyz123 wrote:A quick question:

I know there is a long queue for submitting the renewal application and i plan to reach HCI by 7 am. What about collecting the passport? is tehre a long queue for that as well? i think the general timings for collection are 4-5pm so is it ok if i just go there at 4.45 pm or do i need to reach there earlier?

Thanks
anyone please?

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue May 10, 2011 3:46 pm

xyz123 wrote:A quick question:

Thanks
There is a queue but it gets processed pretty quickly. Avg waiting time would be 10-15 mins. However I would say reach there before or by 4:30 pm (earlier the better).

erohit
Newly Registered

Post by erohit » Wed May 18, 2011 7:03 pm

I submitted my application today morning for passport reissue.
Passport submitted for renewal: 18/05/2011
Reached IHC London: 07:30 ( There were roughly 50-60 people ahead of me)
Token no. received: 229 (It was mentioned in the token that I am 30th in the passport service queue)
Called to window: 10:40
Out of building: 10:45

Documents Submitted
1. Current-but-expiring-soon passport.
2. Application form, duly filled and signed (by hand).
3. Photocopy of first, last and the current UK visa page.
4. Two photographs (handed one separately, pasted one on the form).
5. Income Tax Return as address proof ( as I got my address changed)
6.Marriage certificate (as I wanted to add my spouse name)
5. Fees in cash. £29 (They have increased by £2 as service charge)

New passport collection
Collection date given: 25/05/2011
Collection time given: 4-5pm

Other things I observed :
1. By the time token counter opens there was a ver y long queue. I would say roughly around 200 -300 people.

2. OCI and POI counter moves very fast as compare to passport counter. Also Lost and damage passport counter people eventually comes to passport counter and they create a small queue on the side of the counter.

3. Bags were allowed with checking

4. You can get some signal inside the IHC. I was able to surf web on the mobile while sitted. A stupid girl was talking while sitted and eventually after 5 mins people give her rough time and she was totally embarrased.

Hope this helps.
Erohit

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 pm

My experience of indian passport renewal:

Passport submitted for renewal: 12/05/2011
Reached IHC London: 07:30 ( There were roughly 40-50 people ahead of me)
Token window open: 8.40
Token no. received: 219 (12th in the passport queue)
Passport window open: 9.15
Called to window: 9:50
Out of building: 9:55

Documents Submitted
2. Application form, duly filled and signed (signed by hand, form filled electronically).
4. Two photographs (both handed to caseworker).
5.Marriage certificate photocopy (as I wanted to add my spouse name), Original asked for, checked against photocopy and original given back

New passport collection
Collection date given: 23/05/2011
Reached HCI: 3.45,
allowed to go inside: 4.00 (already 50 people inside)
Got passport: 4.30

1. Bags were allowed without any checking
2 mobile and data signal inside HCI

thinkingahead
Newly Registered

Reissue of expiring passport

Post by thinkingahead » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm

hi guys

my passport expires in 12 mths time in June 2012 but i can renew it now. i have a couple of questions -

i) does anyone know if a "same day" service is available at the Edinburgh Consulate?

ii) if not what is the the time line for reissue from Edinburgh? Is it any different to any applied from London?

iii) i have printed 4 photographs from the photo booth, but as they turn out they are not 51 M X 51 M as the cosulate website says but 35M X 45M. where can we get the size of passport photos that indian cosulate wants? would those small photos 35 M X 45 M work?

any quick help would be appreciated

thanks,

s_prabhu81
Newly Registered

Passport renewal

Post by s_prabhu81 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:45 am

I submitted my application yesterday morning for renewing my expiring passport.

Applied location: London
Passport submitted for renewal: 01/07/2011
Reached IHC London: 06:30 (4 people ahead of me in the queue)
Token no. received: 201 (second for passport services - token for passport service is in 200 series)

Window opened : 9.30
Called to window: 9:35
Out of building: 9:40

Documents Submitted

2. Application form, filled and signed
4. Two photographs (handed one separately, one on the form).
5. Marriage certificate (to add my spouse name)
5. Fees in cash. £29

New passport collection

Collection date given: 11/07/2011

yerras
Newly Registered

Post by yerras » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:11 am

erohit wrote:I submitted my application today morning for passport reissue.
Passport submitted for renewal: 18/05/2011
Reached IHC London: 07:30 ( There were roughly 50-60 people ahead of me)
Token no. received: 229 (It was mentioned in the token that I am 30th in the passport service queue)
Called to window: 10:40
Out of building: 10:45

Documents Submitted
2. Application form, duly filled and signed (by hand).
4. Two photographs (handed one separately, pasted one on the form).
5. Income Tax Return as address proof ( as I got my address changed)
6.Marriage certificate (as I wanted to add my spouse name)

New passport collection
Collection date given: 25/05/2011

Other things I observed :
1. By the time token counter opens there was a ver y long queue. I would say roughly around 200 -300 people.

2. OCI and POI counter moves very fast as compare to passport counter. Also Lost and damage passport counter people eventually comes to passport counter and they create a small queue on the side of the counter.

3. Bags were allowed with checking

4. You can get some signal inside the IHC. I was able to surf web on the mobile while sitted. A stupid girl was talking while sitted and eventually after 5 mins people give her rough time and she was totally embarrased.

Hope this helps.
Erohit
Thank you for highlighting the surcharge Rohit

Please include the £2 surcharge for postal applications as well
This information is not (yet) posted on this page "http://hcilondon.in/passport.php" but can be found at point 7 on "http://hcilondon.in/oci.php" and has been in force from March 14 2011

My daughter's postal application for Re-issue has been "returned" citing £2 surcharge was not included in the postal order(also citing self addressed "return" envolpe and passport fees not being included)

Wish I had seen your post earlier, learnt it the hard way not to rely entirely on the "OFFICIAL" website for uptodate information :evil:

sushdmehta_fan

Post by sushdmehta_fan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

[I submitted my application for passport reissue on 12/07/2011
under tatkal service at HCI london.

Reached IHC London: 07:00 (120 people ahead of me, some were sitting on the floor, most were OCI card/PIO applicants). Day travel card £15 zone 1-6 yeah I know thought i will have spare time between submission and collection, wasnt the case just made a return journey between victoria and the temple tube station.

Security check bags were allowed in though I didnt have any bag but a plastic folder.
Token no. received: 228 (It was mentioned in the token that I am 29th in the passport service queue).
Passport service counter didnt opened till 9.50 a.m.

Called to window: 11:40

The lady seems to be in good mood and the guy next to the counter was bit rude, when i asked to him "excuse my sir can I get tatkaal service" gave cold look didn't bother to answer.

Luckily I took the email from HIC, London where they have confirm the "same day tatkaal service". I attached the print out of the email as the first page, just on the top of application form, gave it to the lady over the counter.

She read that email gave it back to me and asked "do you want tatkall service ?" said " oh yeas please " she told me first pay be £29 first and I will call out your name, once i will get an approval.

She put wrote "tatkaal" on the receipt gave it to me. Then she shouted my name, (only when I waved at her) oh yes now you can pay me another £100 and she gave me another receipt which says "Tatkaal fee £100". She told keep the two receipts with you safe and come back to collect your passport between 4-5 pm.

Went in to collect at 3.30 pm. at 4.20 pm passport counter opened. Then she started shouting names in some random order. There was no sign of my name, because i can hear she was telling-off some "not ready yet" (standard one-liner). It was around 5 pm, I asked when I told "Maadam" you havent called me.

She shouted " oh you tatkaal service" didnt asked for any reason.

She asked her colleagues " where is his file ? he went in to check inside said " he couldnt find it ....

" she said can you check that stack? suddenly she said " here it is ...it was lying on the floor just next to her feets .... she said or that was mixed with other files and put that on the floor.

at that time i had the glimpse of my old and shiny new passport"

She asked "where is your receipt" .. I told i gave to you and you gave to your colleague who went in to check...inside. finally he handed my receipt to her.

She said please check "the details on your new passport of there is any error come back tomorrow" .. luckily the details were OK may be i didnt asked for change of address to cut out the beaur/ecracy around it.

Lesson 1: Tatkaal works

Lesson 2: Dont hesitate to rush upto the counter and ask without fear of being shouted down.

Lesson 3: When you go to the counter to pay the Tatkaal fee, she has the approval it meant "your application is in order anyway" basically you know the out come. then one can change themind if you live in or around london.
she told me why pay that much if you can collect it in a week time. She also told me that her husband has same name as me :) so a friendly advise.
But want to avoid the second trip to london and taking another day off. Beside i am due for Tier 1 (ILR) in a month time and passport was expiring in three month.

Documents Submitted

2. Application form, duly filled electronically and signed (by hand and tciekd yes/no question by hand).
4. Two photographs (handed both to case worker or the IFS/IAS officer).
6. Tatkaal Fee £100

+ Also had a letter from employer confirming my job details (didnt gave it to
her)

New passport collection :
Collection date given: same day
Collection time given: 4-5pm ( but collected 5.10 pm)

thinkingahead
Newly Registered

Re: Reissue of expiring passport

Post by thinkingahead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:38 pm

For those applying in Edinburgh the time line is to get the passport back in 13-14 business days from the day of application for a reissue of a soon to expire passport. hope this helps.

thinkingahead wrote:hi guys

my passport expires in 12 mths time in June 2012 but i can renew it now. i have a couple of questions -

i) does anyone know if a "same day" service is available at the Edinburgh Consulate?

ii) if not what is the the time line for reissue from Edinburgh? Is it any different to any applied from London?

iii) i have printed 4 photographs from the photo booth, but as they turn out they are not 51 M X 51 M as the cosulate website says but 35M X 45M. where can we get the size of passport photos that indian cosulate wants? would those small photos 35 M X 45 M work?

any quick help would be appreciated

thanks,

duckling
Newly Registered

phone call and delay in passport renewal?

Post by duckling » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:16 am

Hi,

I applied for my passport renewal at HCI London on 6th July and was told to come back to collect it on the 14th.. However I got a phone call regarding clarification from Regional office in Mumbai and that my passport won't be ready on the 14th. Any ideas how long this might take? It is already 10 days since I last heard from them. Any other suggestions on what to do?

SANGHA
Newly Registered

Indian Passport

Post by SANGHA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi

My understanding is that once you have received your renewed passport back you will need to have apply for the NTL, which costs about £200.

Regards

erpfresh

Post by erpfresh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi All,

Please help me I am desperate

I am planning to apply for my child's passport renewal at CGI Birmingham, on the website they have asked to fill the application form for renewal along with affidavit duly signed from Notary Public for change in appearance(I have not seen this requirement in London)

I have noticed posts regarding HCI -London, any experiences for HCI Birmingham, also any experiences for child's passport renewal .

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.php? ... ages&id=19 IV. Passport for a child.

I have 3 questions

1. Is it required(compulsary) to get the affidavit signed and stamped by Notary Public
2. They have asked for old and new photographs, do I need to have the same old photograph that is on the passport or any childhood photograph
3. Any idea of how long the tokens are issued at Birmingham (it is written that tokens are issued till 12 noon in london, no idea for Birmingham), as it takes nearly 3 hrs to travel to Birmingham from my place

Thanks in advance

ASDF890
Newly Registered

Wt documents do I need for Re-issue of Passports for Child?

Post by ASDF890 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi ,
Wt documents and form do we need for Re-issue of Passports for Child-age 5?
We've just noticed that my daughter's Indian passport has expired over a year and unfortunately we noticed two days before of our flight to India. We r living in UK and we've got valid visa for 2 years- going to India for holidays. We've found information on website of Indian High commission -London but on website they didn't mention for over year expired child passport documents.

***In my documents list
4 passport phots,
Previous passport with valid visa
Parents original passport and self attested passports copies(page first-last and visa)
fees

Any other documents...---- like Affidavit and consent Letter --??

***Should I use
1 Re-issue of Passports for Children under 15 years form
or
2 Expired Passport for more than one year form ....???

Pls advise me soon.

Regards

reeti
Newly Registered

Re: phone call and delay in passport renewal?

Post by reeti » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:55 pm

duckling wrote:Hi,

I applied for my passport renewal at HCI London on 6th July and was told to come back to collect it on the 14th.. However I got a phone call regarding clarification from Regional office in Mumbai and that my passport won't be ready on the 14th. Any ideas how long this might take? It is already 10 days since I last heard from them. Any other suggestions on what to do?
Did you get your passport finally? What was your experience?
I am in the same situation as yours.Got a phone call from HCI London that my passport won't be ready on 5th. Sep as promised.Told to wait for 1-2 weeks for verification.

Regards.

macgyver

Passport renewal: Delay

Post by macgyver » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I applied for renewal of passport on 24th July 2011. Was told to collect it on 29th July.
Received a phone call sayin that since my place ob birth is in J&K, my passport will neeed some more verifications. It will take 2-3 weeks.
I contacted the HCI on 17th Aug by e-mail to be told to contact later after 2 weeks.
I sent in another e-mail on 5th sept and Hurray got the reply that my passport is ready for collection.
I am going tomorrow for collection.

HTH

Edit:

Got the passport but had to wait 45 minutes.

inretrograde
Newly Registered

Passport reissue experience

Post by inretrograde » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who posted here, my task was infinitely easier due to the info!

1. Visited passport office at 6.45 am on 2 Nov, was about 30th in queue
2. Gates opened at 9 am, received token number 204 (4th for reissue)
3. Waited for counters 2 and 3 to open, opened at 9.40 am.
4. General chaos when the counters open, please be very alert about the token number display on the TV screen, its not called out.
5. Submitted
1 passport photo
Filled out form with photo pasted
Copy of old passport 1st,last and visa page
£29 in exact change
6. Received Receipt that gave collection time of 4 pm on 9 Nov
7. Collected old cancelled passport and new passport on 9 Nov at 4.20 pm
(Entry around 3.45, submit the receipt to the guard, name is called out around 4.15)
New passport is stamped saying old passport contains valid visas

MJNair

Permanent Address in India

Post by MJNair » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi,

My Indian passport is due to expire in another 9 months and I am planning on applying for a re-issue soon.

My current passport (soon to expire) has my old (still valid) permanent address in India - my parents still own the place but they do not live there.
My PAN number and electoral card are still in this address. My parents still collect post from this address.
Can I use this address when I extend my passport?

Or do I have to give my parent's latest address as my permanent address? I do not think I have any documentary evidence for this address.

Or can I give my UK address as permanent address?
I am on a Tier 1 visa and do not have a ILR.

Thanks,
M J Nair

krazydude
Member of Standing

Re: Permanent Address in India

Post by krazydude » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:55 pm

MJNair wrote:Hi,
Or can I give my UK address as permanent address?
I am on a Tier 1 visa and do not have a ILR.
Yes you can and this is the quickest and easiest option.

Other options will require more time and documents.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 pm

I found this in the Birmingham Consulate website:

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.php? ... ages&id=51
20. How to include UK address in Indian passport?
Ans: Usually an UK address is not permitted on the Indian passport. However, in exceptional circumstances only when the applicant proves that he/she does not have any permanent address in India and additionally, he/she has indefinite leave to remain in UK, an applicant is permitted to reflect his/her UK address in his/her Indian passport. If necessary, the Consulate might ask for an affidavit from the applicant about he/she not having a permanent address in India. For others who would like to reflect their UK address in addition to their permanent address in India, the service is available by way of an endorsement on the Indian passport as an observation.
From this, my understanding is that I cannot use my UK address in the 'Permanent Address in India' column as I am still on a visa (not ILR).

Are the officers in the London Consulate OK with using UK address instead of India address?

If I keep the same address as in my current passport, do I have to furnish any proof?

vin1983

Query on Passport renewal

Post by vin1983 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:26 am

Hi

I am planning to apply for reissue of passport as my old passport is expiring after 10 years. Along with that I want to add my spouse name also. I dont want to change my permanent address and keep it same as my old passport.

Require help on the below:
-My passport is expiring in nov but want to be safe as my visa renewal is just after that - is this fine?
-In the form, do i need to tick both reissue and miscellaneous as I want to add spouse name also or tick the first one only
-In marriage certificate my address is mentioned different to whats in my current passport, will it cause a problem?

I will be submitting the following documents:
-Existing passport (due to expire)
-Photocopy of all pages of the passport
-Filled in passport reissue form and copy
-4 Photos
-Original and Photocopy of Marriage certificate
-29 GBP or 34 GBP cash fees

Am I missing anything?

Thanks
Vin

xs2m
Newly Registered

Number of photos required

Post by xs2m » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi,

On HCI, London website, its mentioned to bring 4 photos.

But here, everyone has mentioned that they submitted 2 photos.

Kindly clarifiy if 2 photos will suffice or 4 photos are required

Regards,
Mayank

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 am

Kindly clarifiy if 2 photos will suffice or 4 photos are required
The website asks for 4 photos. They took only 1 photo from me but they checked all others.. probably to check that I have not given them a random photo and that it was recently taken for this specific purpose.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 am

I got my Indian passport re-issued recently:

The documents I submitted are:
- Application form
- Original Passport
- Copies of 1st page, last page, visa page and passport extension page (my previous passport was a tatkaal 5 year passport which was then extended to 10 years)
- Proof of address India - NRI bank statement attested by the Bank Manager. This is different to the address I had in my previous passport.
- 4 photos - they checked all 4 but took only 1
- Marriage certificate and a copy
- fees - £29

I had taken my UK address proof with me. However they did not ask for it.

As per the Birmingham CGI website (which seems to be down now), one cannot get their UK address in their passport unless they can prove that they do not have a permanent India address. They can however get their UK address as an observation in the passport.
In spite of this a number of re-issues seem to have been given with the UK address.
With my parents back in India and because I do not yet have an ILR here, I cannot declare that I do not have a permanent address back in India. Hence went through some pain to get an address proof for India.

I submitted the application in person on 9th Jan. (Reached there by 09:30, handed in the application by 11:45)

I collected my new passport along with the cancelled previous passport on 19th Jan. It has my newest Indian address on it.

The counters for passport submission was a bit chaotic. Even though there were token numbers, there were a number of people hanging around the counter even though it was not their turn. I guess they probably may have been asked to wait for additional information.

They were not giving out same day service as it was only reserved for emergency cases.

Some passport (renewal/reissue) applicants were asked to check with them after a month instead of being given a specific date to come and collect the passport. I do not know exactly what the reason was.

Also, I think that if your previous passport was a tatkaal passport which was issued by a passport office other than where you are getting it extended from, it will take some time to come through as it has to go for verification with the previous passport issuer.