ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Tourist eVisa and parallel application for OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rachsach

Indian Tourist eVisa and parallel application for OCI

Post by rachsach » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice really.

I have acquired British citizenship last week and today I have received my British passport. I understand that I have to surrender my Indian passport as I have taken British citizenship.

I have pre-booked holiday in India from 22nd December for a period of 4 weeks.
I am planning to surrender my Indian passport next week. As soon as I receive the surrender certificate I am thinking applying for OCI but it takes 6-8 weeks. I don’t think I would be able to get OCI before the travel date.

My question is can I start OCI process after surrendering my Indian passport and while OCI is in process I apply for tourist 30 day eVisa?

Please could you advise from personal experiences if I can apply for eVisa while OCI application is under consideration?

Thanks
Romi

rmukherjee

Re: Indian Tourist eVisa and parallel application for OCI

Post by rmukherjee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:29 pm

rachsach wrote:Please could you advise from personal experiences if I can apply for eVisa while OCI application is under consideration?
Not from personal experience but there is no rule I'm aware of against asking for a eVisa while the OCI is under consideration. If no one else on this forum replies you could check with the High Commission - the numbers are on their Contact Us page. VFS won't be able to help about eVisas.

tjoseph
Newly Registered

Post by tjoseph » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:58 pm

There should be no such restriction applicable on eVisa.
You can take a chance at applying for OCI from within India, you might get it within 30 days.

pentaya
India

Post by pentaya » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:33 pm

rachsach wrote:Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice really.

I have acquired British citizenship last week and today I have received my British passport. I understand that I have to surrender my Indian passport as I have taken British citizenship.

I have pre-booked holiday in India from 22nd December for a period of 4 weeks.
I am planning to surrender my Indian passport next week. As soon as I receive the surrender certificate I am thinking applying for OCI but it takes 6-8 weeks. I don’t think I would be able to get OCI before the travel date.

My question is can I start OCI process after surrendering my Indian passport and while OCI is in process I apply for tourist 30 day eVisa?

Please could you advise from personal experiences if I can apply for eVisa while OCI application is under consideration?

Thanks
Romi
Yes you can apply for E-Visa which gives you 30 days to stay and possible extension afterwards. Please surrender your certificate and apply for OCI before you travel. I assume by the time you return, OCI will be processed, Good Luck.