ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No first name on British Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chrissys
Newly Registered

No first name on British Passport

Post by chrissys » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 pm

I have seen this question asked already but answer is not very clear.
I received my first British passport as
first name: xx
Surname : firstname surname
I believe this was because in my Indian passport surname column was left empty. Now I need to apply for OCI. But before that I would like to add my husbands surname as my surname.
Which route I should take :-/
Do a Uk deed poll to get first name and surname as I wanted, then get new Uk passport ; then apply for OCI
Or
Get OCI first and then UK deed poll to name surname and then UK passport.
All it matters is what Indian authorities will use for proof. Kindly advise

jamesjosephp
Mood:

Re: No first name on British Passport

Post by jamesjosephp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 am

Hi,

I would suggest:

1) Get a deed poll prepared and change your bank, nhs,dvla and hmrc records corrected with the new name
2) Apply for British passport for name change and supply deed poll, bank and hmrc letters as supporting documents
3) Once you receive your new British passport with name changed, get your deed poll document attested by a solicitor (costs around £15)
4) apply for OCI with corrected name and provide the attested deed poll as one of the supporting documents

Note: High Commission of India, London will not return the attested deed poll. Better to have an additional copy for yourself.

This is what I did for name correction.

Hope this helps.

James.