ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Status - Require Job Description Letter

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

erpfresh

OCI Status - Require Job Description Letter

Post by erpfresh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Dear All,

First of all let me start by Thanking the Forum for its help and support throughout my journey, now I am in the final stage...OCI

Thankyou Immigrationboards Forum.

We have applied for OCI on 4th October in Birmingham - In person

Mine and my child's Document Printing Status shows as Processed and Document Received at Birmingham.

My spouse application :

Document Printing Status is Under Process
Objection found with this application: Any Other
Objection Remark: Require Job Description Letter

My spouse is a County Council employee, so when filling the OCI Application form we put it as a Govt Service for Q19

Does anybody else had this status/issue before.
What to do or who to contact with respect to this.

Please kindly advice me, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:48 pm

You just need to provide what they have asked for.

India is still a country stuck up in it soviet ways. They just seem to have an obsession about the danger facing India from people doing a government job in any country.

I always ask people to be truthful in their dealings. But as far as dealing with dumb government departments of Mahan Bharat is concerned, please be careful.

Except medical professions, if you are in any type of government employment then it is best to hide this during your OCI application. You will be better off writing " shopkeeper" "cleaner" "taxi driver" etc.

erpfresh

Post by erpfresh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks Ayyubi72 for your prompt reply, we could have done that, but we dint want to lie.

Will we get any letter requesting us to sudmit the JD from OCI, or do we have to take appointment and submit the JD per the online status.

I really dint understand whether they need offer letter or JD.

Thanks

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Offer letter of what?

When they ask for JD, they do mean JD, and not something else.

I appreciate your honesty, and that is what I suggest to everyone. But dealing with Indian Babu's is a totally different matter. Actually, after reading your post, I will twist my job title so I do not get caught in a situation like you have.

Now I do not have a clue about how to submit this document so that it ends up in right place with you case file in India. Perhaps someone who has been through with similar situation might be able to help.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:09 am

also see
Apoorva wrote:Hi
I applied for OCI for me,my wife and 2 month old daughter at High Commission London. The lady at OCI counter did not accept my wife's application as she works for Metropolitan Police. I argued with her as it just didnt make any sense. She said they sont accept OCI applications for people working with British Govt and gave example of Home Office,Border Agency, Met Police, Armed forces !
I was told that this is mentioned on the high commission website but i couldn't find any reference to british government personnel not being eligible.

I have no choice but to apply for Indian Tourist visa as i cant travel to india with an infant without her mother.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Apoorva
This is quite interesting. There is nothing such mentioned in the OCI eligibility or documentation re Govt job. An OCI holder can't work in public sector job in India but since when they introduced additional checks on employment in the UK?

quantumscience

Post by quantumscience » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 am

This OCI thing - I always had my suspicion that it was not just a visa as they try to depict it.
These kinds of instances prove it.

Also, they demand that the host country allow dual citizenship, for an applicant to be granted OCI “visa” :)
If OCI was just a pure lifelong visa, they would not require such a condition to grant it - now would they?

Image if UK govt. laid a condition that any applicant for UK ILR (a long-term visa) should have to have their country of citizenship allow dual nationality before they are issued ILR visa... we will all be laughing at such a requirement... wouldn't we?

Generally speaking, a visa should not have anything to do with another country's citizenship laws.

Also the very term - "citizenship visa" :) proves Indian govt. lawmakers either have no understanding of English language whatsoever, or they are making fun of Indian “Citizenship” status.

I have a PIO, and i am happy with it. Does not cause any confusion in my British Passport.

I suppose, it’s just a question of time before someone else here comes and posts a topic saying when they travelled to other countries, the ports were confused to see Indian Citizenship visa sticker in a British passport, and hence did not know how to deal with the British passport holder - i.e. as an Indian or British (so as to demand appropriate visa to enter their country) :)
Also in such situations, the OCI holder won't even be able to talk to a Indian consulate for help or clarification, since its a 1 in a trillion chance that anybody will pick up a phone call in any Indian consulate world-over. :)

PIO, all the way :). The best option. (So what, if we have to register with FRRO for more than 6 months stay! Its not a big deal).

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am

I agree. This whole OCI thing was a natak. Why did they not just upgrade the status of PIO ie holder can stay in India for any length without registration etc.

I think the language used and requirements do not make sense too. Why do they demand that other country should allow dual citizenship of one kind or another?

By the way, the U visa sticker that is placed in passport does not say anywhere "overseas citizen of India". it only says, " lifelong multiple visa".

For some funny and strange reasons best known to Indian pan eating babus the fee for PIO is £ 217, and OCI is cheaper at £ 175.

quantumscience

Post by quantumscience » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote: By the way, the U visa sticker that is placed in passport does not say anywhere "overseas citizen of India". it only says, " lifelong multiple visa".
Of course it does say that :) Indian babus are great at confusing.

If you google for OCI visa sticker / images, you will see that in the VISA sticker, at the top where it says Republic of India, under that text it says "Visa for Overseas Citizen of India" :)

I will never ever consider doing an OCI application or the likes, unless they offer it as a true Citizenship. Even then I am sure they will be great at causing lots of confusion :)
Last edited by quantumscience on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:13 pm

The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2011 that was passed in the upper house of Indian parliament in August 2013 will substitute the term ‘overseas citizen of India’ with the term ‘overseas Indian cardholder.’

quantumscience

Post by quantumscience » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:17 pm

ban.s wrote:The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2011 that was passed in the upper house of Indian parliament in August 2013 will substitute the term ‘overseas citizen of India’ with the term ‘overseas Indian cardholder.’
I am not impressed by the Indian effort there ;) to be honest.
Well, even with a such a new law, i would definitely say they are causing confusion, not removing it, due to the fact they are going to say "Overseas Indian" :)

PIO simply says clearly the holder is a "person of Indian origin". For anybody reading it, that would be very clear the person is of "Indian origin" as opposed to "overseas Indian" himself :)

And also, there is no mention of removing things like the OP has posted - i.e. objections around overseas gov. job etc.
Who knows what all other bits of grey areas are hidden in this status, other than what the OP has posted.

Also the very fact that this status is conferred under the Indian Citizenship Act, tells us that this is likely some flavor of Citizenship and not just a visa, otherwise a visa process won't be part of the country's Citizenship Act, i am sure.

I still think this whole OCI or "overseas Indian" thing is a big mess!

Oh!!, and of course, so this new Act would mean, the existing OCI holders will have to apply again and get the new visa sticker in their passport :) Aha! Another round of upgrade fees (like the new and sudden surrender fees fiasco!), and another round of waiting times for months together et al.

Very impressive! :)

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 pm

ban.s wrote:The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2011 that was passed in the upper house of Indian parliament in August 2013 will substitute the term ‘overseas citizen of India’ with the term ‘overseas Indian cardholder.’
When is it expected to change practically?

I am just hoping that in near future Indians implement visa-on-arrival for British citizens which they have already announced.

An online sytem like turkey would be the best solution.

OCI was actually a half hearted measure, the purpose of which was to appease people of Indian origin who were demanding dual citizenship, or should I say demanding that a certain section of Indian citizenship act should be deleted which says

Any citizen of India who by naturalization, registration otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the commencement of this Act, voluntarily acquired the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Funny thing is, the political party which ducked the dual citizenship question, and came up with this half boiled egg known as OCI, when they were in power, started demanding full citizenships for overseas Indians as soon as they became opposition. :lol:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:36 pm

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/rajya ... act-405363

So, OCI will become OIC.

Foreign children whose both parents are Indian will be able to apply for OIC.

Spouse of "citizen of India" will be able to apply for OIC. Its not clear whether spouse of "citizen of India" will be eligible or spouse of OIC is also included.

It only took 20 months and 5 days for Rajya Sabha to do this amendment.

:wink:

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by jacsll55 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Govt Job - NO OCI !!
See http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 193#960193

OCI or OIC or any other name this is just shambles!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:43 pm

So, best to tell them lies, they are not going to check, are they. :wink:
Last edited by Ayyubi72 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VR

Ayyubi72

Post by VR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Bhai,

Please edit your post and remove the Offensive word ''Porkies''.There are a lot of british visitors to this forum as well as from other western countries.

In a public forum such words have no place. RESPECT and LIVE and LET LIVE should be the mantra.

Hope you do not take this otherwise.
Best Regards
VR

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:18 pm

That particular word is used as a susbtitute for the word "lies". And it is used by, may I say, white Brits.

But I have took your comments on board and edited my post. :D

VR

Much Appreciated

Post by VR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Dear Ayyubi72,

Good one!

Thanks and Best Regards,
VR

erpfresh

Post by erpfresh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi All,

jacsll55: I am quite surprised
after reading the post.

Can anybody tell me who I need to contact, is it Birmingham(as i applied from Birmingham) or gov.in where we check the OCI status.

Does anybody know the contact number of Birmingham, if so could you please provide it to me so I could call and get clarrified.

Thanks

erpfresh

Re: OCI Status - Require Job Description Letter

Post by erpfresh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi All,

This forum has been helpful so just wanted to share the outcome with everyone, as I thought it may be of use to anyone in the same situation

I first contacted Ms Shetty (i think)from India via email, he/she asked me to contact the consulate where I applied, as I applied from Birmingham, I tried to contact them - no response to email or phone.

So I just posted the 'JD Letter' as requested and they approved my application.

Thank you Forum