ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GBINR

Post by GBINR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 am

krazydude wrote:I do not find it surprising that HCI does not process postal applications quickly. I know that some people cannot make it to the HCI as they live far away, cannot commute, do not have the time they can take off their busy schedule or house chores or some other reason. But realistically, if you think that you should get the same treatment as someone who got up early, stood in the cold/rain for more than 1 hr in a queue, got in and waited patiently for maybe 2-3 more hours, had to suffer bureaucratic staff who are quite unhelpful at times, then you seem to be fooling no one but yourself. If someone puts in the extra effort (read pain) and incurs the cost of travel & time off work, then these applicants deserve their applications to get processed quickly.
@Krazydude,

No where in my comments, I have asked for postal applications should be treated in par with in person.

The point is, in HCI website "http://hcilondon.in/oci.php" it says "Postal applications may take a week for us to acknowledge."

So when I chosen postal mode, I thought 1 week delay was acceptable and I could send by post. If they had mentioned "it would take 1 month for us to ack postal application", I would have chosen inperson application.

I hope you got my point. They should atleast update the website about the delay in acknowledging the application could take upto 1 month.

Also I am not envious and in fact if you see my comments I have advised
others to go in person and apply to get it quickly processed.

Also, not everyone who is going to apply for OCI is going to go through this forum. So HCI London
should update their website so people get fair idea.

The language used by you .. "you seem to be fooling no one but yourself" is not very decent in this
forum.

Mr Krazydudue, please maintain the decorum and read the comments with care before calling commenting about it. We all are Indians by birth and we should know that "GIve respect and take respect".

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:28 pm

No where in my comments, I have asked for postal applications should be treated in par with in person.
And I did not mention you or any of your posts in my post.
The point is, in HCI website "http://hcilondon.in/oci.php" it says "Postal applications may take a week for us to acknowledge."

So when I chosen postal mode, I thought 1 week delay was acceptable and I could send by post. If they had mentioned "it would take 1 month for us to ack postal application", I would have chosen inperson application.

I hope you got my point. They should atleast update the website about the delay in acknowledging the application could take upto 1 month.
I agree, if you are given a timeline, then HCI should stick to it. I did not mention that they give you wrong timelines in my post
Again, I mention in my post, people who cannot go to HCI for one reason or another choose postal route, so atleast they have an option rather than making it compulsary to be present at HCI to apply.
Also, not everyone who is going to apply for OCI is going to go through this forum. So HCI London should update their website so people get fair idea.
There are a lot of things HCI should do. What you mention above is one of them
The language used by you .. "you seem to be fooling no one but yourself" is not very decent in this forum.
How did you get that I am not being decent here. I am expressing my views without pointing out anyone. As n_sharma50 and other have pointed out that people advise others to go personally, so people know this and let others know as well. If someone knows this and still decides to act differently and expect a certain result, in that instance my language usage stands
Mr Krazydudue, please maintain the decorum and read the comments with care before calling commenting about it. We all are Indians by birth and we should know that "GIve respect and take respect".
Already covered this point.

GBINR

Post by GBINR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 pm

krazydude wrote:
And I did not mention you or any of your posts in my post.

I agree, if you are given a timeline, then HCI should stick to it. I did not mention that they give you wrong timelines in my post
Again, I mention in my post, people who cannot go to HCI for one reason or another choose postal route, so atleast they have an option rather than making it compulsary to be present at HCI to apply.
Also, not everyone who is going to apply for OCI is going to go through this forum. So HCI London should update their website so people get fair idea.
There are a lot of things HCI should do. What you mention above is one of them
The language used by you .. "you seem to be fooling no one but yourself" is not very decent in this forum.
How did you get that I am not being decent here. I am expressing my views without pointing out anyone. As n_sharma50 and other have pointed out that people advise others to go personally, so people know this and let others know as well. If someone knows this and still decides to act differently and expect a certain result, in that instance my language usage stands
Already covered this point.

Upto my knowledge even in old threads, no one has ever said that "Postal applicants must be treated in par
with inperson applicants, in terms of processing time".

Only couple of people (including me) were saying about delay in ACKing the postal applicants for more than 25 days
instead of 1 week.

If all of sudden you come and write a harsh post, calling people as "fooling yourself" etc, what do you mean?
What made you to write the comment when no one raised that point?

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 pm

If all of sudden you come and write a harsh post, calling people as "fooling yourself" etc, what do you mean?
I do not consider it a harsh post and that is my opinion. You consider it as a harsh post and that is your opinion. We are both entitled to our opinions. I do not expect any ratification from anyone on my opinion
What made you to write the comment when no one raised that point?
Like I said earlier, I did not reference any post or anyone. My post was based on my experience and experiences of other Indians who I know personally. If the HCI states on its webiste that in person applicants will get OCI in 15 days and postal applicants will get it in 20 days, then by all means they should stick to their words on both instances. If anyone argues, it should be 15 days for postal applicants as well (and not 20 days), then I guess I have already made my opinion known

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 pm

I think its fair to say that every one has different experience of HCI so its hard to provide a definite answer to the question of how long.

As both of you have mentioned, its any where from 1 week to 4 weeks so that should be considered the benchmark and every one reading these posts should plan travel etc based on that.

GBINR and Krazydude, the exchange above has proved that written english is not the best way of communication and what some one intend, may not come across the same.

Lastly, everyone is entitled to opinions and if some one takes offense on something, well tough luck. I am sure it was not meant to be harsh or any thing.

Mookambika
Newly Registered

Post by Mookambika » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Sharma,

Have your documents dispached from Delhi. Our OCI card and Visa printed on the same day (30th November 11) Mine is still showing not dispached. Just wondering if yours have been dispached?. Please let me know.

Regards

VAn

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:39 am

Mookambika wrote:Hi Sharma,

Have your documents dispached from Delhi. Our OCI card and Visa printed on the same day (30th November 11) Mine is still showing not dispached. Just wondering if yours have been dispached?. Please let me know.

Regards

VAn
Hi Van, I am in same boat as you. Waiting for them to be dispatched.

Will update forum as soon as status changes.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:32 am

My OCI Timeline: Update
Sent by special delivery on 31/10/2011
Received HCI on 01/11/2011
Acknowledged on 28/11/2011
Photos/Signature scanned on 29/11/2011
Granted on 29/11/2011
Printed on 30/11/2011
Dispatched on 07/12/2011
Received at HCI, London on
OCI along with passports received on

Mookambika
Newly Registered

Post by Mookambika » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:44 pm

In person at HCI London on 28/10/2011
Granted on 29/11/2011
Printed on 30/11/2011
Dispatched on 07/12/2011

Sharma i think we will get our documents by next week

Regards

VAn

ssm73
Newly Registered

OCI for new born in UK

Post by ssm73 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Greetings,
My wife and I are UK citizens and passport holders. Have surrendered Indian passports and not applied for oci yet. We are expecting a child in 2 months from now.
The questions are:
Will our new born be eligible for OCI?
Is it ok to apply for our OCI now, and apply for the new born at a later date? Or, would it be better to apply oci for all of us ione go, after the new born receives the uk passport?

Seek you advise and clarification.

Many thanks
S

GBINR

Update for OCI

Post by GBINR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 am

Sent by special delivery on 14/11/2011
Received HCI on 15/11/2011
Acknowledged on 09/12/2011
Photos/Signature scanned on 12/12/2011
Granted on 12/12/2011
Printed on 13/12/2011
Dispatched on 15/12/2011
Passports sent by post on -
OCI along with passports received on -
Last edited by GBINR on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GBINR

Re: OCI for new born in UK

Post by GBINR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 am

ssm73 wrote:Greetings,
My wife and I are UK citizens and passport holders. Have surrendered Indian passports and not applied for oci yet. We are expecting a child in 2 months from now.
The questions are:
Will our new born be eligible for OCI?
Is it ok to apply for our OCI now, and apply for the new born at a later date? Or, would it be better to apply oci for all of us ione go, after the new born receives the uk passport?

Seek you advise and clarification.

Many thanks
S
Since you hold Brit PP and Indian passport surrender certificate, you new born child will be eligible for OCI.

Regarding the timeline, when you plan to apply, you need to decide about it. That is, think if there will be any
need to travel to India for another 4 months. (2 months for baby to come, 1 month approx to get birth certifcate
and get UK PP, and another 1 month to get OCI (If you submit in person)

If there will not be any need to travel to India before 4 months, you can wait and apply together with your new born.

Even if you get OCI now, you will not travel to India without your newborn, who in turn can travel only after
getting Indian tourist visa or OCI. So you could apply together.

Obviously we give suggestions and you know the best and make your decision to apply now or not.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

My OCI has been dispatched on 07/12/2011 but is yet to be received at HCI.

Does any one know if it takes that long. I would have expected it to be special secure next delivery or some thing.

Mookambika
Newly Registered

Post by Mookambika » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Sharma,

Mine also dispached on the same day. Status still shows not received at HCI London. lets hope it will be ready at some point this week.

Regards

Van

srini228
Newly Registered

oci misc services - edinburgh

Post by srini228 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Dear All

we have recently applied in person at edinburgh HCI for my daughter oci misc sercices because of renewal passport. but we did not still recieved the application acknowldeged

Date of Application : 23/11/2011 - in person at edinburgh HCI

but the status is still not showing acknowlegded.

is there a difference from London HCI to Edinburgh HCI

as London HCI are getting acknowldedged same day it seems

Thanks for your help

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Granted on 29/11/2011
Printed on 30/11/2011
Dispatched on 07/12/2011
Received at HCI, London on 13/12/2011

Mookambika
Newly Registered

Post by Mookambika » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:07 pm

Applied in Person at HCI London : 28/11/2011
Granted on 29/11/2011
Printed on 30/11/2011
Dispatched on 07/12/2011

I'm going to collect it on Thrusday. 15/12/2011

nax_72

Re: oci misc services - edinburgh

Post by nax_72 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 pm

srini228 wrote:Dear All

we have recently applied in person at edinburgh HCI for my daughter oci misc sercices because of renewal passport. but we did not still recieved the application acknowldeged

Date of Application : 23/11/2011 - in person at edinburgh HCI

but the status is still not showing acknowlegded.

is there a difference from London HCI to Edinburgh HCI

as London HCI are getting acknowldedged same day it seems

Thanks for your help
Yes vey big difference between these two. My postal application reached on 21st October got acknowledgement (online status) only on 2nd December. Today scanned and granted.

srini228
Newly Registered

Post by srini228 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 pm

nax_72 wrote:
Yes vey big difference between these two. My postal application reached on 21st October got acknowledgement (online status) only on 2nd December. Today scanned and granted.
Thanks for the reply nax

any idea whats the diffrence

does edinburgh hci sends the application to new delhi or do they send to london hci ?

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Granted on 29/11/2011
Printed on 30/11/2011
Dispatched on 07/12/2011
OCI Collected with passports on 14/12/2011

I would just like to say thanks to this forum and all the members. I have used this for advice on various thing from 2006 when I first came to UK and since then it has helped me a lot to go through stages of getting HSMP/ILR/Citizenship/Passport and then OCI.

Thanks all and best of luck.

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:13 am

srini228 wrote:
nax_72 wrote:
Thanks for the reply nax

does edinburgh hci sends the application to new delhi or do they send to london hci ?
I do not know what happens really. But looking into the timeline mentioned by many other members here and also with respect to my case it looks like Edinburgh HCI takes lot more time than London HCI particularly for the process of OCI.

GBINR

Post by GBINR » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:50 pm

nax_72 wrote:
srini228 wrote:
nax_72 wrote:
Thanks for the reply nax

I do not know what happens really. But looking into the timeline mentioned by many other members here and also with respect to my case it looks like Edinburgh HCI takes lot more time than London HCI particularly for the process of OCI.
Hi,

If you read old messages, it says CGI Birmigham takes lot of time compared to HCI London.
I do not know about Edi.

But from old messages I read, HCI London is quickest in UK for processing OCI, when compared
with any other Indian High Commission/Consular General.

Mookambika
Newly Registered

Post by Mookambika » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 am

Applied in Person at HCI London : 28/11/2011
Granted on 29/11/2011
Printed on 30/11/2011
Dispatched on 07/12/2011

Collected in Person: 15/12/2011

I highly recommend apply in person! Goodluck !

srini228
Newly Registered

Post by srini228 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:25 pm

GBINR wrote:
Hi,

If you read old messages, it says CGI Birmigham takes lot of time compared to HCI London.
I do not know about Edi.

But from old messages I read, HCI London is quickest in UK for processing OCI, when compared
with any other Indian High Commission/Consular General.
I think edinburgh and birmingham are counslar general of india (CGI)
but london is High commission of India (HCI)..

not sure but HCI may have more powers than CGI's

just a guess

GBINR

OCI Timeline updates

Post by GBINR » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Sent by special delivery on 14/11/2011
Received HCI on 15/11/2011
Acknowledged on 09/12/2011
Photos/Signature scanned on 12/12/2011
Granted on 12/12/2011
Printed on 13/12/2011
Dispatched on 15/12/2011
Received at HCI, London on 22/12/2011
Passports sent by post on -
OCI along with passports received on -

I have not planned if I would go in person or collect by post.
Thanks for the info and updates. It has been a long journey since my HSMP visa application in 2006, then Tier1, ILR, Naturalisation, UK PP, Surrender of Indian PP, OCI.