ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewal of Indian passport at HCI London

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

goto_venkat
India

Renewal of Indian passport at HCI London

Post by goto_venkat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi All,

My Indian passport is about to expire in June 2012 and I am planning to travel to India in next month. As my passport will have less than six months validity by the time I come back to UK I am thinking of renewing it in HCI London. Many people are saying the renewal process may take close to one week, which is promising as if you renew it in India it may take couple of months if you are no lucky.

My question is, my permanent residence address in India is changed from my current passport (which was issued 10years back). Can I mention my present permanent address in renewal form? If I change address what kind of documents I need to submit? Will it take long time if the address is different from current passport? I can’t wait more than one week as I am planning to leave for India in first week of December.
Could anyone suggest me a solution?

Thanks in advance.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 pm

1. You can have any (overseas or UK) address reflected in the passport. But if the address is not same as the one in the current passport, then you'll have to provide documentary evidence of that address in your name (e.g. - utility bill, bank statement etc.).
2. Why not renew the passport after your return from holiday?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

goto_venkat
India

Post by goto_venkat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for your response Sushdmetha.
Yes. I want to change my permanent address of India in my new passport. I can provide Electricity utility bill or bank statements. Will they accept a printout of them or they need to be original? If they need original or attested copies then I need to way to get them.
Few of my friends had terrible experience while renewing in India. For few people it took couple of months. So I dont want to have the hassle. I am planning for a 6week trip to India in first week of December. By the time I return from India I will be left with only 4months of passport validity. As somebody pointed in other thread either airlines/immigration people in India may complain about the left over validity.
Can you suggest me whether the print outs of my bank statements will be accepted at HCI London? Do you know how long they take to issue renew my passport? If it is less than 10days I am fine otherwise I will have problem as I need to fly out in 10 days.

goto_venkat
India

Post by goto_venkat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Just wanted to share my experience of Indian passport renewal. It is really quicker to renew from London rather than doing it from India. As they may take weeks/months. It took only 10days for me to get new passport. Below are the list of documents required.
1) Application with 2 passports (35 X 45 with white background)
2) Xerox copies of first,last and valid UK VISA page
3) 29£ fee (better to carry exact change)
4) Additional documents (utility bills) incase if you want to have new address on your new passport.
5) When to HIC london at 8.30AM and the total process took about 3.30hours.

internetstatic
Newly Registered

Post by internetstatic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 am

goto_venkat wrote:Just wanted to share my experience of Indian passport renewal. It is really quicker to renew from London rather than doing it from India. As they may take weeks/months. It took only 10days for me to get new passport. Below are the list of documents required.
1) Application with 2 passports (35 X 45 with white background)
2) Xerox copies of first,last and valid UK VISA page
3) 29£ fee (better to carry exact change)
4) Additional documents (utility bills) incase if you want to have new address on your new passport.
5) When to HIC london at 8.30AM and the total process took about 3.30hours.
Just curious, in case I need to get my address changed on my passport, do I select;
1. Reissue of passport OR
9. Miscellaneous service

I still have 12 months validity on my passport.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 pm

If your passport has less than 12 month left before it runs out you can use either of two option.
If passport is still valid this time next year then Misc. service.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

internetstatic
Newly Registered

Post by internetstatic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 am

nnj10 wrote:If your passport has less than 12 month left before it runs out you can use either of two option.
If passport is still valid this time next year then Misc. service.
While on the HCI website, I found this today...
Change of address
To change Indian/UK address in the Indian passport, applicant must apply for issue of a new passport with copy of documents establishing new address in the form of utility bills, latest monthly bank statements, property papers etc.

chikki008
Newly Registered

Passport Reissue

Post by chikki008 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm

I would like to share my experience since it might helpful for someone.
I applied for passport reissue in second week of march 2012 with change of address and adding spouse name by submitting the application over the counter. I reached Indian Embassy at 8 AM to wait in token queue and called over counter around 10.15 AM to submit the application. They initially said that it would take 1 month to reissue but my passport was issued with in a week.
I sent them an email after 2 weeks at the email given on their website asking whether my passport is ready for collection and I got a positive reply. I went and collected it over the counter.
Few people have doubt about file number. File number is the receipt number provided by HCI London during submission.
I found HCI London response for my application pretty reasonable, though I agree that it is very difficult to contact them over phone.
Also they respond to email if passport is ready for collection. Otherwise they do not respond to general queries about application.

subhal
Newly Registered

Passport renewal with biometric card - expires on 8-May2012

Post by subhal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi All,

My passport is expiring very soon on 8th May 2012, just 4 weeks to go. :(. I am in Belfast and have got biometric card as residence permit last year. I also want to change my address in passport to my permanent address in India. I have few questions on my renewal application and it would be a great help if you could provide your input.

1. Should I send my Biometric card along with my current passport. It is not clear whether my residence permit card will be needed as it is not printed on my passport. I am very scared to send my residence permit along with my application as any damage / lost will affect my stay here. Please advice.

2. I think I have 4 options to get my new passport before the current one expires. Can you please suggest which one will be best in my case.

Option 1 - Apply via normal posting and the estimated time is 3 to 4 weeks.

Option 2 - Apply in person at HCI London. I think its walkin and no pre appointments are needed for this service, also the estimated timeline is 1 week. Please confirm.

Option 3 - Tatkal service through post.

Option 4 - Tatkal service by person at HCI.

The main thing I am much worried is to send my biometric residence permit through post and if it is mandatory for my application I am thinking to go with option 2 or 4. Please let me know which option will be best in my case.

3. Can I use BSNL Landline phone bill on my name in India, for address change request.

Your input will be a great help to me. Please advice.

Thanks a lot in advance.

chikki008
Newly Registered

Re: Passport renewal with biometric card - expires on 8-May2

Post by chikki008 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 am

As per UK visa rules, if ur passport is expired, u should leave immediately and come back once u hv a valid passport.
Option 1 has taken 2 month for my friend.
Choose option 2. Go personally and submit. Also do not assume that u would get passport in a week time for personal application by visiting HCI. It could take longer.

Not sure about option 3 and 4 but I think it is not available for everyone.

subhal
Newly Registered

Post by subhal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks.. Can you confirm please whether any pre appointment bookings are necessary.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:28 pm

subhal wrote:Thanks.. Can you confirm please whether any pre appointment bookings are necessary.
At HCI London, you dont get appointment.
Good old Queue will do.... :x
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

subhal
Newly Registered

Post by subhal » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:01 am

Thank you for the info. One more question, for collection - can they post the document if I provide self addressed first class delivery cover.

Please advice. Because it will be really difficult for me to travel to London again for collecting the new passport.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:37 am

I think they will post your documents back if you include pre-paid self addressed special delivery envelope and do mention that you want your documents to be retunred via this mode in any cover letter with your application and also the officer at window.

subhal
Newly Registered

Post by subhal » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:20 am

Thank you for the info.

kirthota
Newly Registered

Renewal of Passport in UK

Post by kirthota » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:20 am

Hi,

My passport expires in the month of Sep 2012 and I am planing to traveling to UK this month(June2012) So, can I still be able travel to UK and extend my passport there and if so what all documents do i need to carry to extend my passport there.

Thanks & Regards
Kiran

manish123
Newly Registered

Post by manish123 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:47 am

Hello Friends,

I will be traveling to Glasgow in Jan 2014 end, and my Passport is Valid till Sep 2014. My work permit is till Jan 2015 end.

Can i renew my Indian Passport in Glasgow?

Also below are few other queries:

1. Whom should i contact in Glasgow for Indian Passport renewal.
2. Documents required for renewing Indian Passport in Glasgow, i want same indian address as currently on my indian passport.
3. How much time it will take to get the renewed Passport in Glasgow.
4. Renewed Passport will be valid for how much period.
5. What are the fees applicable.

Awaiting your expert advise.

Thanks,
MH

ritammajumdar
Newly Registered

Re: Renewal of Indian passport at HCI London

Post by ritammajumdar » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello All,

I am currently residing in St. Helier, Jersey.
My passport is to expire in Jun 2014.

I wanted to confirm which documents are required to be posted to the High Comission, London to renew the passport.

1. Original Passport
2. Copy of first Visa for UK
3. Copy of latest Visa and Work Permit valid till Dec 2015
4. I need to change the Indian address on my passport, which documents are required for this.

Since its difficult for me to travel to London for submission or collecting the Passport, how do i proceed..?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Regards
Ritam M

ryans
Newly Registered

Post by ryans » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 pm

All,

I have applied for passport renewal in December but my passport was not ready till 10th Feb and the passport collection service has been replaced by self addressed envelopes. I have sent the envelope two week back and still haven't received the passport.

All the attempts to contact the embassy have resulted in a note that I need to wait. My visa extension is coming up and I am not sure what should I do in this situation. The passports are ready, it's just a matter of someone posting the passports.

PLease suggest.
BR

shirishcin
Newly Registered

Post by shirishcin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello,

The HCI website says enclosing self addressed envelopes for applications submitted only after 10th Feb. Did they ask you to send a self attested envelope?
It is not mentioned on their site if applications submitted before Feb 10th and awaiting reissue of passports need self attested envelopes.

chandelyt
Newly Registered

Post by chandelyt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:02 am

If you applying make sure you meet the following requirements which are not very clear on website or else you need to scan through entire website.

1) Fee in Cash (Not Debit or credit card - Not sure about Postal though)
2) An Pre-paid special delivery envelope or recorded envelope
3) Photo Size should be 2*2 inch or 51*51 mm

Also for Minor:
If one parent is going then make sure you have authorization letter from another.

After reading all the instructions I still missed photo size as it is not updated on website and effective immediately from 7th March 14.

tier2_cts

Post by tier2_cts » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:41 am

Hi All,

My passport will expire soon. I am planning to applying for re-issue of passport in a week or 2.
I request you all to help me out to complete the application form.

1. Application for Indian passport: I am applying for re-issue of passport since my current passport is getting expired. I got married recently hence I don’t have my spouse name, I want to add my spouse in the new passport. So should I have to tick both Re-issue of passport and Miscellaneous Service options?
2. Question No: 7 – Full name of father – Should I have to write down first name + surname or just first name? Please note, my current passport has only first name.
3. Question No: 8 – Full name of mother – Should I have to write down first name + surname or just first name? Please note, my current passport has only first name.
4. Question No: 14 – Full name of spouse – Should I have to write down first name + surname or just first name?
5. Question No: 26 – Details of the service required (If applying for misc. service) : Should I have write down “addition of spouse name”?

Also could you please let me know if the below documents are sufficient enough?

1. Current passport
2. Original BRP card
3. Photocopies of passport first page , last page and expired visa pages (self-attested)
4. Photocopy of BRP card (self- attested)
5. Special delivery cover
6. 4 photos
7. Fee
8. Original Marriage certificate (Self-attested)
9. Spouse original passport ---------- Do I need this?
10. Original spouse BRP card
11. Photocopies of spouse passport first page , last page and expired visa pages (self-attested)
12. Photocopy of spouse BRP card (self- attested)

Please note : I am not going to change my permanent address. Going to apply for re-issue of new passport as my current passport is getting expired and add my spouse name in my new passport.

Thanks.