ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children school transfer. Please Help!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Children school transfer. Please Help!

Post by jpfranco » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi everybody,

I need your help to clarify the following doubt.

I just got approved for the HSMP program, and my family and I are planning to move to the UK.

I should travel in August to start looking for a job; my family should join me as soon as I find one.

I don't think it is going to be possible for my kids (8 and 11 years old) to start school in September. So, the question is: do British schools receive international students transfering, let's say, in January?

If this is not possible, I guess that they would have to travel next year. Is this going to affect them when we apply for the FLR renewal?. What if we plan to apply for Permanent Residency? I am going to be living in the UK for 5 years and them for 4, how does it work?

Please, any advise would be really appreciated.

Juan
Quito, Ecuador

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:28 pm

I don't think it is going to be possible for my kids (8 and 11 years old) to start school in September.
Do be aware that it is a legal requirement for school-age children ... 5 to 16 ... to attend school if they are living in the UK (as distinct from just visiting). So whilst no one will get too upset if there is a short gap after arrival before they start school, you should not deliberately plan for them to spend months in the UK before they commence school.

Not only is there a legal obligation on the parents to ensure their children go to school, but it works the other way round as well. There is a legal obligation on the Local Education Authority to ensure a school place is provided for the children in their area. But that is not an obligation to provide a place at any particular school, and thus is a particular school is full then clearly your children will not be able to go there.

Any idea where in the UK you will be living? Also, how is your children's English language ability? And as regards the 11 year old, in what month does their 12th birthday occur? Just trying to work out if they will go to Primary School or to Secondary School. That is, will they go to the same Primary School when they first go to school here? Or will the 8 year old go to Primary School and the 11 year old to Secondary School?

Final point .... no problem them starting mid-term ... they do not have to wait until the start of the next school term to start their education in the UK.
John

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Hi John, thank you very much for the reply.

Mi children should start school as soon as they arrive to the UK. The problem is that, most probably, they won't join me there until I find a job. Since I am travelling to the UK around mid August, I don't think I will find a job til October - November. That is the reason I don't think they can start classes in September: they will arrive later.

I would like to move to the Midlands. My first stop is going to be Birmingham. From there I will start my job search.

My daughter turns 12 in April, my son turns 9 also in April. My daughter english skills are pretty good since she studied three years in the USA. My son has just a basic understanding of english, he was just a toddler when we lived in the USA. It would be ideal that they attend the same school at first, but I am not sure if this is possible.

So, do you think if they arrive around Christmas into the UK, they could start clases in January without a problem?.

Thanks again John.

Juan
Quito, Ecuador.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:03 am

John wrote: Do be aware that it is a legal requirement for school-age children ... 5 to 16 ... to attend school if they are living in the UK (as distinct from just visiting).
John
In fact as I understand it the legal requirement is for them to be receiving an education. Home-schooling is not against the law.

John

Post by John » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 am

JAJ, you are of course quite right about home schooling. But it does of course need to be the case that the parents personally have the necessary skills, or buy in those skills at huge expense.

jpfranco, if you are looking for a job in Birmingham, and you succeed in that endeavour, don't hesitate to contact me to see if I can help about school selection. Unfortunately the standard of schools in Birmingham, and no doubt the rest of the UK, does vary considerably and at first glance it is not always obvious which are good and which are bad. Indeed if you find a job before you start renting somewhere permanent, get in touch because you might want to select residential accommodation near to good schools .... and away from bad schools.

Your daughter who is 12 next April will be in Year 7 in the school year that starts in September .... and thus will be in secondary school. Your son, aged 9 next April, will be in Year 4 starting in September, and thus will be in Primary School. So it is not a question of you finding one school for your two children .... you will need to find two separate schools, one Secondary and one Primary.
do you think if they arrive around Christmas into the UK, they could start clases in January without a problem?
Obviously the sooner you know where you will be living, and thus which schools are around, the better chance you have of ensuring they have schools to go to early in January. If you leave it to the last moment, near the end of the school term just before Christmas, you might not have completed arrangements before the start of the new term in January.

Particularly as regards your son, now aged 8, I probably don't need to tell you that children pick up language so much quicker than adults. My step-daughter was 6 when she moved from Thailand to here in Birmingham. Now she is 12 and it is impossible to detect that she has not lived here all her life, well apart from when she is chatting to her mother in Thai! So your children's English will improve rapidly!
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:00 am

John wrote:JAJ, you are of course quite right about home schooling. But it does of course need to be the case that the parents personally have the necessary skills, or buy in those skills at huge expense.
It doesn't have to be as difficult as you suggest.
http://www.education-otherwise.org is a good resource on the law.

The vast majority of children are happy in the regular school system. But a small minority are not (either because the school is awful, or the child simply doesn't fit).

It is important that parents understand that they do have an alternative to the formal schooling system if it really does not work for their child.

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:40 pm

John, JAJ thanks for the input.

According to what's been said, I think my children should arrive into the UK on early December so we have enough time for them to start school in January 2008.

John, I will send you a note when I am in Birmingham so you can suggest which schools and areas I should look into. Besides schools, crime rate and flooding risk are other criteria I will consider when looking for a home.

Hopefully, I will find a job till November... as planned.

Juan
Quito, Ecuador