ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Calculating "Reckonable Residence" for Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

scrudu

Calculating "Reckonable Residence" for Citizenship

Post by scrudu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 am

hi there,

When calculating "reckonable residence" in the State for Citizenship purposes, do periods spent on "Tourist - C Type" Visas count? According to CitizensInformation.ie, they say the following:
Certain periods of residence do not count for the purpose of reckonable residence, for example, periods when you did not have permission to remain in Ireland, or you were here on a student visa, or you were seeking asylum.
They do not specifically mention periods where you were on a Temporary Tourist visa. Has anyone had experience of this? Do these periods count?

Thanks

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Calculating "Reckonable Residence" for Citizen

Post by mktsoi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:09 pm

scrudu wrote:hi there,

When calculating "reckonable residence" in the State for Citizenship purposes, do periods spent on "Tourist - C Type" Visas count? According to CitizensInformation.ie, they say the following:
Certain periods of residence do not count for the purpose of reckonable residence, for example, periods when you did not have permission to remain in Ireland, or you were here on a student visa, or you were seeking asylum.
They do not specifically mention periods where you were on a Temporary Tourist visa. Has anyone had experience of this? Do these periods count?

Thanks
check with immigrant council of ireland. they have pretty good info for this.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 am

basically need to have held either a stamp 1 (work permit/visa) or stamp 4 (either via long term residency or refugee status or other) for 5 contionous years.

and not have relied upon state resources (ie certain social welfare except child benefit) be self sufficent for 3 years prior to application. basically be self sufficent.

and of course no convictions

Laoch na hEireann
Newly Registered

Post by Laoch na hEireann » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:38 pm

NO they do not count.....only the periods in the state while on a stamp 1 or 4 . . . . if you rite a letter to the GNIB requesting your R.R they will reply takes 1 / 2 months

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 am

Laoch na hEireann wrote:NO they do not count.....only the periods in the state while on a stamp 1 or 4 .

And your reference to the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004 is ... ?

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:13 am

Laoch na hEireann/Walrusgrumble: Where are you getting your information about needing a stamp 1 or stamp 4? Is this written anywhere? Please post any ref's.

My husband entered on a C-Tourist Visa stamp so we could get married here (no fiancé visa in Ireland), and I want to know if this period spent in Ireland counts, or only when he subsequently entered the country on his D-Spouse (converted to Stamp 4) visa. As a spouse of an Irish citizen, he requires only 3 years of residency. Self sufficiency and lack of convictions are not an issue.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:28 am

scrudu wrote:Laoch na hEireann/Walrusgrumble: Where are you getting your information about needing a stamp 1 or stamp 4? Is this written anywhere? Please post any ref's.

My husband entered on a C-Tourist Visa stamp so we could get married here (no fiancé visa in Ireland), and I want to know if this period spent in Ireland counts, or only when he subsequently entered the country on his D-Spouse (converted to Stamp 4) visa. As a spouse of an Irish citizen, he requires only 3 years of residency. Self sufficiency and lack of convictions are not an issue.
3 years of reckonable residency. Time spent as a tourist or student (Stamp 2) does not count. Time spent on a work permit does count (Stamp 1), as would time spent with permission to reside and work without a work permit (Stamp 4).

See also Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 am

I read on that site Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage:
But applying for a C visa to enter Ireland does grant you "permission to remain in Ireland". I presume they have specifically called out Students here, as they intent of their stay is not supposed to be towards any "long term" aim, rather just to get their education, and Asylum seekers as they do not have any permission to remain in the country while an asylum seeker (i.e. have not applied in advance for any visa). It may well be the case that they do not count time spent on C Visas, but I do wonder why they didn't specifically call out "time spent on temporary/tourist visas" in the above text if they don't count this time towards reckonable residence.

banana07
Member of Standing

Re: Calculating "Reckonable Residence" for Citizenship

Post by banana07 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 am

have you figured out if its counted or not?
I'm officially diagnosed with INIS "processing" phobia