ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settling in Ireland after working overseas

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gedk66

Settling in Ireland after working overseas

Post by Gedk66 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 am

Hello all...

My wife and twin daughters and I, want to relocate to Ireland and settle there. We want to start our own business, a small restaurant. My wife is Colombian and I am an Irish passport holder, but have never lived there. My status is Irish descent through my Father.

We are currently living in the Middle East, Sultanate of Oman. I have been working here for 4 years and have another two years on my contract before we make the move. We will sell our house in the UK and use this money to purchase a property and start the business, and also have a substantial amount in savings. My wife is still under her Colombian passport but my children will have Irish passports, through descent again.

What would be the process to gain entry for my wife and ultimate residency please? Do we still apply for the 'D Join Spouse Visa' even though I am not resident there myself?
The start up of the business will obviously take some time, so we will not have pay slips to show, but we will have a house with utility bills etc.
Thanks.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Settling in Ireland after working overseas

Post by chaoclive » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 am

I'm not really sure about the type of visa you will need but if you're Irish you will not be able to directly use the EEA legislation to move to Ireland. Of course, you are right that you can use the national Irish immigration rules. Which visa she will need depends on whether or not she needs a visa to enter Ireland. I'm not sure what Columbians need. See here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

You can find out a bit more info here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Family%2 ... cument.pdf

Hope this helps a little.

BTW: Do you have both British and Irish citizenship? (I note you say you have a house in the UK)

Gedk66

Re: Settling in Ireland after working overseas

Post by Gedk66 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:03 am

Hi, yes I do have both British and Irish citizenship. Thanks.