ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

been in england since 1970 from Jamaica

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sneakyg
Newly Registered

been in england since 1970 from Jamaica

Post by sneakyg » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi

my mother has been contacted by the home office and the removals casework team, my mum has been in England since 1970 and was brought here to live by her mother as a 15 year old. My mum understood that she had ILR and all of the documents that she had were destroyed in a flood about 20 years ago, she has never gone to apply for a British passport or anything else as she has no desire to go abroad. She has all of her family around her, her mum, brother and sisters etc. She has NI number, driving licence, GP, votes etc

England is her home, she has no family in Jamaica, never left England since arriving and now this has come as a shock. She never knew her father, however he lived and died in England up until a few years ago and her mum came to England in 1961 and is a British citizen (from what i understand, but dont know when this happened)

my questions r:

1. can they just remove her from the country and plonk her in Jamaica with no where to live etc?
2. she came to England when it was the commonwealth immigrants act - does this change anything?
3. am i missing anything glaring obvious?

any help is grateful

Amber
Mood:

Re: been in england since 1970 from Jamaica

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:05 pm

She may have/may be been entitled to register as British if her Mother was British when she was born assuming her Father was not. She may also be eligible for naturalisation as British if you can find proof of having ILR.

They send 1000s of these letters every month.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sneakyg
Newly Registered

Post by sneakyg » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi, my Nan is Jamaican, but i believe is naturalized as a British citizen, i would guess that its the same with her dad.

do they send these letters to enquirer about her status or as proceedings to try and remove? seems strange as she has been here for 44 years

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:09 pm

They sent such letters to British Citizens so I'm dubious as to how accurate their information is.

Concentrate on getting her status established and, if not already, look at her becoming British.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sneakyg
Newly Registered

Post by sneakyg » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Amber_ wrote:They sent such letters to British Citizens so I'm dubious as to how accurate their information is.

Concentrate on getting her status established and, if not already, look at her becoming British.
Thanks

My understanding at one stage was that you automatically were assumed to be British if you were settled here before the immigration act came into effect in 1973?

also what would be the purpose of her becoming British? other than for a passport?