ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ken218

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by ken218 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:20 pm

dial2all wrote:
ken218 wrote:
malafat wrote: Hi Ken, You haven't provided parents details right?
Nope, They never asked for that.
what is your online status showing now???
oops, forgot to add, the status still says: Declaration form received, being processed

on a side note, this is what gov.uk say about the beta services: https://www.gov.uk/help/beta

dial2all

Post by dial2all » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm

yes I got it . did you call to this number 0300 222 0000
and try to speak with your case worker ask the operator to transfer call to the case worker.
Thank you
Abu

ken218

Post by ken218 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm

dial2all wrote:yes I got it . did you call to this number 0300 222 0000
and try to speak with your case worker ask the operator to transfer call to the case worker.
Thank you
Abu
no, I only called this number to inquire the status of my application. Are we able to talk to the case worker? I already called them 3 times today, every time they said they need to email someone, and the someone will call me back within 48 hours. I wonder if I should call them again...

ken218

Post by ken218 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

The system doesn't allow me to update the previous status, so new entry again:

Status update:

Applied: 2014-03-25
PO location: Newport
Documents arrived at PO: 2014-03-27
Declaration form received, being processed: 2014-04-08
Interview Letter received: 2014-04-15 (dated 2014-04-13)
Current Status: Declaration form received, being processed
Problem: They cannot find the reference number when I called to book an interview

Applied: 2014-03-25
PO location: Peterborough
Documents arrived at PO: 2014-03-27
Declaration form received, being processed: 2014-04-07
Dispatched: 2014-04-16
Current status: Dispatched

My wife holds a BNO British passport, that might be why she didn't need to attend the interview.

teenboy

Post by teenboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:24 am

ken218 and malafat,

I am still wondering how one was requested for parents details and other not. May be from Driving license application?

ken218

Post by ken218 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:29 am

teenboy wrote:ken218 and malafat,
I am still wondering how one was requested for parents details and other not. May be from Driving license application?
Technically, if one obtained citizenship through work permit/tier 1, etc, then the citizenship has nothing to do with ones parents. So I don't see why such information would be necessary. I believe that is why the online application didn't ask for that.

Having said that, the current paper application form asked the applicant to find in the parents information regardless of the means of granting the citizenship, so my assumption is that some case workers still think it is essential, and that is why malafat was asked to provide these details.

malafat

Post by malafat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am

ken218 wrote:
teenboy wrote:ken218 and malafat,
Technically, if one obtained citizenship through work permit/tier 1, etc, then the citizenship has nothing to do with ones parents. So I don't see why such information would be necessary. I believe that is why the online application didn't ask for that.

Having said that, the current paper application form asked the applicant to find in the parents information regardless of the means of granting the citizenship, so my assumption is that some case workers still think it is essential, and that is why malafat was asked to provide these details.
Mine was through work-permit/ILR/BC route.

I think the case workers are not fully aware of the online application system.

I haven't heard if anyone else (online applicants) actually received anything from HMPO other than Ken and myself.

ken218

Post by ken218 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Came home tonight and I received the same letter malafat has received - asking me to fill in the parents information :(
if all they needed were parents information, why do they need me to fill in the whole form?
WHY!!!

It is also unclear if they need the photo again... sigh...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 pm

I believe the parents details are required for ID purposes (similar to DOB and place of Birth). It has nothing to do with claim to BC.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

malafat

Post by malafat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm

ken218 wrote:Came home tonight and I received the same letter malafat has received - asking me to fill in the parents information :(
if all they needed were parents information, why do they need me to fill in the whole form?
WHY!!!

if the same person signs as a reference, you dont need to send photos again.

if someone else signs, you will need to send one photo- make sure back of it signed again

so why they sent an appointment letter?

teenboy

Post by teenboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm

malafat wrote:
ken218 wrote:Came home tonight and I received the same letter malafat has received - asking me to fill in the parents information :(
WHY!!!

if someone else signs, you will need to send one photo- make sure back of it signed again

Out of curiosity, did they sent the paper format passport application? I am thinking of sending in advance to avoid delays. Do we need to get the reference sign again? Would one of you mind sharing the format of the letter?

ken218

Post by ken218 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Regards to why I receive the invitation letter, well, the two letters were sent out the same day, but the interview letter was sent out as first class letter, and the application form was sent second class. I suspect they processed the interview letter a bit too soon, but couldn't retract it in time. That explains why they couldn't find my reference number on the system :(

yes, they sent out the paper application form, and yes, you need the reference sign again.

The letter has:
Thank you for your recent passport application.
Unfortunately, you have not filled in the whole form. Please fully fill in sections 1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10 on the enclosed application form and return it to us.
As your original application was made online, you will be unable to alter the details submitted. I enclose/attach a new form which must be fully filled in and signed at section 10 (as we would need for a first passport application), When filling in section 3 you may leave the passport number blank if you do not know this. However you should fill in section 3(b) as fully as possible. All passport application forms we receive become out official records and we are not able to return your original declaration form.
Section 10 should be filled in by a person who meets the conditions set out in the guidance that accompanies the application forms. They must also have known the person who signs section 9 of the application form for at least two years. Further information may be found at http://www.gov.uk.
We will keep your application, documents and fee and consider them when we receive your reply.
Please stick the attached label to the outside of your reply envelope. This office is open from Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays.
Please do not phone us unless it is absolutely necessary. For information on how long we take to process passport applications you may visit out web site www.gov.uk or phone 0300 222 1111. Lines are open from 08:00 to 20:00 on weekdays and 09:00 to 17:30 on weekends and English Bank Holidays. Please retain this letter.
Yours sincerely

malafat

Post by malafat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 am

teenboy wrote:
malafat wrote:
WHY!!!

Out of curiosity, did they sent the paper format passport application? I am thinking of sending in advance to avoid delays. Do we need to get the reference sign again? Would one of you mind sharing the format of the letter?
You can fill in the form now, it is exactly same one but you will need a reference number etc to send it to your case worker.

to avoid confusion, I wouldn't send it until you receive the letter.

ken218

Post by ken218 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 am

The reference number is the ten digit barcode number on the original form. But I agree, don't send it yet, it will make the poor feller even more confused.

malafat

Post by malafat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:28 am

ken218 wrote:The reference number is the ten digit barcode number on the original form. But I agree, don't send it yet, it will make the poor feller even more confused.
I was given some additional numbers/codes to direct it to the my caseworker. Literally It had a sticker label and they asked me to stick it

also the address was different than the normal Peterborough HMPO address.

ken218

Post by ken218 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

malafat wrote:
ken218 wrote:The reference number is the ten digit barcode number on the original form. But I agree, don't send it yet, it will make the poor feller even more confused.
I was given some additional numbers/codes to direct it to the my caseworker. Literally It had a sticker label and they asked me to stick it
the number/code I got was same as the number I got from the web form.
I was given the sticker label as well, with the same instruction as malafat. The sticker has information such as

PO address
Reference number
My surname
My initial
a 3 digit code
initial and surname of a person (i assume the case worker?)

My original application went to Newport, but the new form goes to Liverpool.

teenboy

Post by teenboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 am

ken218 wrote:
malafat wrote:
the number/code I got was same as the number I got from the web form.
I was given the sticker label as well, with the same instruction as malafat. The sticker has information such as

PO address
Reference number
My surname
My initial
a 3 digit code
initial and surname of a person (i assume the case worker?)

My original application went to Newport, but the new form goes to Liverpool.
Thank you so much to both ken218 and malafat. I will get the passport application from post office and get reference sign again during this long weekend.

How many more photos do I need for this application? one or two? if one, then on application or writing back of the photo?

I sent feedback the olcfeedback@hmpo.gsi.gov.uk. I would encourage others to send feedback, hoping HMPO to fix or disable the option.

malafat

Post by malafat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

@teenboy see my previous response to Ken regarding the photos
malafat wrote:
WHY!!!

if the same person signs as a reference, you don't need to send photos again.

malafat

Post by malafat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:24 am

got the letter today for booking an interview

nearest available slot is on Tuesday 29th in London

it took them another week after I sent the completed form again

ken218

Post by ken218 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:26 am

Hey Malafat,

Thanks for the update. It is very valuable to me.

teenboy

Post by teenboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:45 am

malafat wrote:got the letter today for booking an interview

In the forum someone mentioned, Sunday slots are available and need to ask specifically... Did you try?

malafat

Post by malafat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 am

teenboy wrote:
malafat wrote:got the letter today for booking an interview

In the forum someone mentioned, Sunday slots are available and need to ask specifically... Did you try?
yes initially I tried all the possible days but only in London Area

Called them again to see the availability within a wider radius.

I secured an appointment on Saturday 19th in Portsmouth

need to drive though but I am happy to get a sooner one!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Thought I would update you guys on my paper form Check and Send application rather than doing the online one.

PO C&S 1st April
Received on 3rd April
Text received 4th April
Email received 16th April advising application is in process and it is an approximate 2 week processing time for PO C&S applications
Received Interview letter on 23rd April, letter dated 21st April
Interview booked for Sunday, 27th April

So if all goes well, I should have my passport by the end of next week.

I am still happy I did not do the online application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ken218

Post by ken218 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 am

a bit of news from the sad side - I just received a text message from HM passport saying my application is received, etc, etc.
This is 4 weeks after I sent them the online form, or a week after I sent them the second form. :(

teenboy

Post by teenboy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

ken218 wrote:a bit of news from the sad side - I just received a text message from HM passport saying my application is received, etc, etc.
This is 4 weeks after I sent them the online form, or a week after I sent them the second form. :(
I applied 2 weeks ago, so I should not expect any progress for next 2-3 weeks. This is not pleasant news for me.

I sent feedback to disable the option, but of no use.