ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Michelino
Newly Registered

Right of abode

Post by Michelino » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm

I am a Canadian citizen but have lived in the UK for 43 years. Recently I was offered a promotion at work and so I applied for the job that I had been in a acting position for four months. Due to this application I had my contract terminated because they said I had no right to work in the UK because my passport had run out and therefore my right of abode had stopped aswell. I have two sets of British grandparents (deceased) and both my parents were British( deceased) . I have contacted several UK Gov helplines with different answers from all of them, some seem to think I still have the right to work here and some just read straight from the manual and say I have no right to work. I have sent off for my new passport which I will get the right of abode transferred to but in the mean time I am unable to work. I have paid tax and national insurance all my working life and have never claimed any unemployment benefit or housing benefit. Dose anybody know if my employer is able just to terminate my contract , they say because they do not want to get a fine, and as I am not allowed to work, am I able to claim any benefits as no one can give me a time in relation to my new certificate in my new passport.I understand the reasoning behind having the right of abode in a current passport and I happy to pay every time I renew my passport but if I can't work then how am I able to support my self if it takes to long for the certificate to be issued I could become homeless. I have spoken to a couple of immigration solicitors on the phone and the only advice they could give me was to become British.

vinny

Re: Right of abode

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 am

See also Right of Abode Certificate in Expired Passport - the truth??

Note that the Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode is merely evidence or confirmation of your intrinsic right of abode; similar to a British passport as being evidence of British citizenship. It doesn't actually confer your status.

Where were your parents born?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Michelino
Newly Registered

Post by Michelino » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

Farther was born in British India and mother born in Dudley West Midlands

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:46 am

Michelino wrote:Farther was born in British India and mother born in Dudley West Midlands
You're British by decent then, aren't you?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Michelino
Newly Registered

Post by Michelino » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 am

It's not my nationality that concerns me it's the fact that I am suddenly told that I am not allowed to work in this country although I have been working here all my life. I did not just get off a plane from Canada looking for work. The main reason why I have a Canadian passport is that while serving in the British Army I needed a passport asp . When my Regiment looked into getting a British passport they were told that I would have to apply to become a British citizen before I could apply for a passport, the Canadian passport, with the right information, was issued in 24 hours.