ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR_10 year long residency_Eligible?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ILR_candidate
Newly Registered

ILR_10 year long residency_Eligible?

Post by ILR_candidate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 am

Hi all,

I have been in the UK since September 2003 and I wanted to apply for ILR based on the 10 year residency rule. I meet all the requirements although I have one problem with my application. This is what happened:

I had a student visa that was due to expire on 31.October.2010 and I wanted to apply for a post study visa. I filled out my application form, but I had to wait around for the bank statement for a couple of weeks. I sent my application on 04.October.2010 (was received by 5th). On 1st or 2nd November (don't know the exact date, but there is a stamp on my paperwork for 29.October) I got my documents back saying that my application was 'invalid' for filling out the wrong application form. Turned out during the time I was waiting for my bank statement they had brought out a new version of the form which made my application invalid. (in my defence the two were the same word by word apart from a sentence or two in the 'guidance notes' at the beginning which didn't even apply to me). I was advised to leave the country since my visa was already expired and reapply from my home country. I booked an appointed on 7th November for the earliest time slot which was 17th November, and left the UK on 11th November (10 day overstay after visa expired). I attended my appointment and submitted the document on 17th Nov and it took til 31.December.2010 to get issued a visa. My passport got to me a week or so after and I left my home country on 22nd Jan to come back to the UK with a valid entry clearance.

This means I was out of the country for 72 days (less than the allowable 180 days at one time) but I didn't have a valid visa for that period. I couldn't have done anything to make the process faster.

Do you think this has broken my 10 year period?

Many thanks in advance.

ILR_candidate
Newly Registered

Re: ILR_10 year long residency_Eligible?

Post by ILR_candidate » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Anyone?

Amber
Mood:

Re: ILR_10 year long residency_Eligible?

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Unfortunately it would appear that as you did not have valid leave on the date of your departure, continuous residence has been broken.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.