ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Question: Citizenship and Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

black_bird

General Question: Citizenship and Passport

Post by black_bird » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi all, I am due to apply for citizenship in a month and a bit. A few questions to clear my confusion, and I hope someone will kindly give me a few answers! :)

About me: I was on HSMP+Tier 1, the date of issue on my biometrics permit card is 03/06/2013. Been absent in the UK for lesser than 90 days in the 12 months time frame.

Questions:

1. Giving the issue date of 03/06/2013, I presume I am allowed to book an NCS appointment for application submission on any dates on or after the 04/06/2013, provided that 5 years back on the same date I was in the UK?

2. Would an Actuary with the UK actuarial institute be qualified as a professional referee? I am surprised notfinding it on the list of profession....

3. Suppose I apply for citizenship in June, can I travel aboard straight after and only come back for the ceremony?

4. Suppose I receive a citizenship approval letter in July/August, can I apply for passport straight after, or do I need to wait for the ceremony?

5. About the passport, I would like to take a holiday in between June and the Ceremony of a few months, is there a minimum days of absent requirement for passport? I guess I would only need to apply and come in for the interview? If I dont apply straight away after getting citizenship, I can still apply for the passport later or at an oversea office correct? The reason is I am thinking of either changing my job to work oversea or take a long break, but I am not sure how that would work out if I want to apply for passport..... I presume if I apply for citizenship in Jun, get the approval in Jul, ceremony in Aug, apply for passport in Aug and will get it in Oct?!!

Thanks very much!

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: General Question: Citizenship and Passport

Post by milan69 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 pm

3. You can go abroad the same day you apply.
4. You need to have a ceremony in order to apply for a passport. Only after you attend the ceremony do you become British citizen.
5. Once you become a citizen you can apply anytime for a passport. To have a British passport is not a requirement.
I am sometimes wrong.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

milan69 wrote:3. You can go abroad the same day you apply.
4. You need to have a ceremony in order to apply for a passport. Only after you attend the ceremony do you become British citizen.
5. Once you become a citizen you can apply anytime for a passport. To have a British passport is not a requirement.

Thank you very much milan69!! Regarding to Q5, if I move oversea to work (for example cayman lslands), and I want to apply for a British passport for the first time, can I apply for it oversea? Or do I have to come back to the UK for interview.....

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

milan69 wrote:3. You can go abroad the same day you apply.

Thank you very much milan69!! Regarding to Q5, if I move oversea to work (for example cayman lslands), and I want to apply for a British passport for the first time, can I apply for it oversea? Or do I have to come back to the UK for interview.....

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

I think you can apply for British passport while abroad but the procedure since it is your first British passport could be different. I am not exactly sure.
I am sometimes wrong.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks Milan69.
Another silly question regarding to counting absences (<450d), I assume it is the 5 years period of 2009-2014, not the five year of my HSMP+ILR (2008-2013) plus one year on ILR? (2013-2014)

Just would like to double check, thanks!

To satisfy the free of immigration time restrictions rule, I means I need to send in biometric residency permit and/or the letter Home Office sent me about granting me ILR?

THANK YOU!

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

It is last 5 years. Have in mind that on the day of application you will have to have been present in UK 5 years ago on that day exactly.
I took my old passport which has ILR in it as well as a letter from HO granting me ILR but NCS was happy with copying my old passport as a proof.
I am sometimes wrong.