ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for UK born Child from India - Very tough!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rivercam

Re: British Passport for UK born Child from India - Very tou

Post by rivercam » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 am

maddy
update-- my application got returned again today. reason being--fathers original passport at the time of child's birth is missing. To be honest, I included both parents passports in original and wrote cover letter with bold letters explaining everything but no use. The guy whoever innewdelhi seems to be not to bother to read/check
either coverletter/documents.
I scanned the return letter and sent to overseas department newport for explaination. you are right for noreason the guy is looking at Table B.
I think iam wasting my energy and time with BHC delhi and will apply ROA soon.
I ask you/your friend please make complaint to overseasNewportCCC@hmpo.gsi.gov.uk about BHC newdelhi so that atleast other people in future will benefit.please scan the return letter pointing thier mistake if possible.

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 am

rivercam wrote:maddy
update-- my application got returned again today. reason being--fathers original passport at the time of child's birth is missing. To be honest, I included both parents passports in original and wrote cover letter with bold letters explaining everything but no use. The guy whoever innewdelhi seems to be not to bother to read/check
either coverletter/documents.
I scanned the return letter and sent to overseas department newport for explaination. you are right for noreason the guy is looking at Table B.
I think iam wasting my energy and time with BHC delhi and will apply ROA soon.
I ask you/your friend please make complaint to overseasNewportCCC@hmpo.gsi.gov.uk about BHC newdelhi so that atleast other people in future will benefit.please scan the return letter pointing thier mistake if possible.
I'm really sorry to hear this Rivercam. I can understand how frustrating it is. I have made a complaint to passport enquiries earlier and they behave like there is no connection between them and BHC, Delhi.

Following is the e-mial I have sent
Dear Sir/Madam,
Sub: Applying British Passport for UK born child from India, when parents are in UK
I’m settled person in UK and UK tax payer from past 8 years. I’m currently working in UK for one the biggest construction company. My son is born in UK and he is eligible to apply for a British Passport. I have already registered my son as British citizen using MN1 application form and received his British citizen registration certificate.
Back in 2012, my son and wife travelled to India along with me on December 2012 and they had to stay back in India due to family circumstances and for various religious attendance. Now my wife got visa under settlement category as dependent of settled person and she is currently residing in India at the moment.
Since, I have registered my son as British citizen; I have no other option except to apply for a British Passport. Application for his British Passport has been sent to British High Commission, New Delhi by his mother from India. However, this application has been returned back to my wife saying we need to provide following:
1. Counter signatory should be working professional
o In application Guidance (Page 10) it is mentioned that counter signatory can be either working or retired professional – In the application countersignature is done by retired professional and they haven’t accepted it
2. Parents Original Passports
o I have given explanation below
3. Address on the application form should match parents address proof
o If I’m in UK from past 8 years, how can I show address proof in India?
Out of the above documents they requested, the most interesting and puzzling one is parent’s original passports. My wife submitted her original passport. But, how can I send my original Indian passport, when I’m residing in UK? Considering I’m working in UK and application process time takes 16 weeks, it would be very difficult and impossible situation for me to go to India, send my passport along with application and wait for around 16 weeks.
I have submitted colour photocopies of all pages of my passport (including blank pages) attested by UK solicitor along with the application. Also to remind you, my son is already registered as British Citizen and my passport is verified by UKBA for that application.
We have explained my current situtaion detailing why I couldn't send my passport along with my son's British Passport application to British High Commission, New Delhi in cover letter.
Would you please advise on what documents would be acceptable in my situation?
for that I got following reply
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email.

In answer to your queries:

- As noted in our notes for guidance, a retired professional would be an acceptable countersignatory. Therefore if your countersignatory fulfils the other criteria then we would suggest when you re-submit the application that you let the New Delhi office know that you have checked with the Newport Customer Contact Centre.

- Again please let the New Delhi office know in a covering letter why you cannot submit your passport and that you have checked with the Newport Customer Contact Centre that your explanation and the photocopies of your passport will be given consideration.

- If the child is in India, the child and the person making the application on behalf of the child must be in India when the application is submitted and provide proof of residence at the Indian address given on the form. If you are not in India we would suggest that your wife makes the application on behalf of the child as she should be able to provide address evidence.

- You must submit photocopies of each supporting document you are submitting with the application.

Regards
So, Newport office suggested to explain everything on covering letter.

From your situtation, clearly we can say that they are not reading covering letters at all.

It looks like they just check the documents against checklist and reject if don't find what they wanted to see.

However, there is another way of applying for British Passport according to my close friend (parents living in UK and child is in India - parents got ILR, child registered as British Citizen).
He contacted passport enquiries here in UK and one of the manager suggested to send the application (using same application form the we use from India) to UK address instead of BHC, Delhi. So he submitted application accordingly yesterday and waiting for decision.

I think best bet you have at the moment is to apply for RoA. I'm still awaiting on my child's RoA decision, I will update the result as soon I know.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am now in india,due to my child's current situation and holidays in south india I can't travel to VFS before I leave to UK.
Both me and wife are travelling to UK and can't afford to loose non refundable flights.
I leave it to grandparents to apply for ROA or if you can help with which number your friend spoken I will bring whole application pack to UK.
probably this is the worst application I made in my entire life and all of my friends and relatives are laughing at BHC and UK as a country.
I really hope you hear good news with your ROA.

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:39 pm

rivercam wrote:Thanks for your detailed reply. I am now in india,due to my child's current situation and holidays in south india I can't travel to VFS before I leave to UK.
Both me and wife are travelling to UK and can't afford to loose non refundable flights.
I leave it to grandparents to apply for ROA or if you can help with which number your friend spoken I will bring whole application pack to UK.
probably this is the worst application I made in my entire life and all of my friends and relatives are laughing at BHC and UK as a country.
I really hope you hear good news with your ROA.
Hi Rivercam,
My child's application for RoA is successful and it is valid until expiry of passport. It took total of 14 days to get the passport back. If you are still in India you may apply for your child too before you travel back to UK.

All the best for your application.

I would like to take this opportunity to Thank moderators of this forum and also special thanks to "Ayyubi72" for your suggestions.

SP-LND
Newly Registered

Post by SP-LND » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 am

Hello guys,

I am also in same situation. My son and wife is in the India.

My son's first British passport application has been refused twice by BHC, Delhi.

First of all, I applied on 18/11/13 with docs suggested in this forum but however they refused with two reason

Reasons of refusal with no proper explaination
1. form was recently changed when my application received there
2. father original passport required.

Before applying second time, I have contact UK Passport helpline and get some advice. The advisor asked me to write cover letter and explain the BHC, DELHI that since I am in the UK, I can not send my original Indian passport (Father) but notarised copy is attached. However, if passport processing team in the UK needs to see it then I can directly send them in the UK.

I took his advice, apply again in first week of January with cover letter explaining situation.

NO LUCK !!!

Same refuse but with another new reason about address not matching...

Reason of refusal with no proper explaination
1. Father's Original Passport
2. Address on application does not match with other document.

I was very frustrated and confused with BHC,DELHI processing style so I made a email complaint in the middle of January but till today no solution / response.

I am due for applying my British citizenship registration + passport in August. After receiving my British passport.

would you please advice what should I do with your experience ?

bhavesh128
Newly Registered

Post by bhavesh128 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:14 pm

hi, i have same problem me and my wife we both in uk and my son is in India with my parents and we applied for his first British passport from India and same problem they r asking original passport. i have applied with certified colour photo copy of all pages and affidavit letter as well.
still they r asking our original passport.
i don't know what to do know. any idea.
thanks.