ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA National applying for UK Passport with NON EEA Husband

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tanzy
Newly Registered

EEA National applying for UK Passport with NON EEA Husband

Post by Tanzy » Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 am

Hello,

My Wife (Spanish Passport) is applying for UK passport as her father is British. I (on an Indian Passport) am on an EEA Family permit valid till 2019.

Would some one be able to advise if she applies for UK passport (Dual Nationality) whether it will affect my immigration status in any way ?

Do I have to inform home office that my wife is now a UK Passport holder and not EEA National anymore (although UK is EEA too isnt it ?)

Appreciate your advise.

Cheers

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EEA National applying for UK Passport with NON EEA Husba

Post by chaoclive » Sun May 25, 2014 12:44 pm

I would advise against it! What is the rush...why can't she wait until you get status first?

It could mess up everything as there is a question on the application forms (e.g. EEA) asking if your EEA family member is a British citizen. If you lie and get caught.........

Tanzy
Newly Registered

Post by Tanzy » Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will advise her not to apply for the passport now and wait till I get my Permanent Residence.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue May 27, 2014 3:05 pm

She probably already has British citizenship due to her dad, but you don't want the UK authorities to know about that as that would mess up your EEA applications. Keep filling in that she is a Spanish citizen on all the forms.

Best to wait. She will still be entitled to British citizenship in the future because she has it due to her parent (as long as it isn't a strange case).