ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Drink driving and application from ILR to British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

solefishes
Newly Registered

Drink driving and application from ILR to British Passport

Post by solefishes » Tue May 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi there, I'm just looking for a bit of advice please on behalf of my husband...

A bit of background; we're both South Africans by birth. We moved to the UK on an ancestral (on my husbands side) and spousal visa. We've lived in the UK since beginning of 2007 and had our ILR since March 2013.

So here's where the plot thickens...we were planning on submitting our application for our British Passports next month but last weekend, my husband was pulled over and taken to the police station for suspected drink driving. The breathalyser wasn't working at the police station, so they took a sample of blood instead from which we'll know the results in 6 weeks time when he has to go back to the police station again. At that point, I assume, they'll either officially charge him with drink-driving or not based on the outcome of the blood sample.

My question is in 2 parts - if he is charged, am I right in thinking that he'll have to wait a further 3yrs as a "rehabilitation" period before applying for his British Citizenship?

And if he's not charged - does that stay on his CRB or any kind of record and would this also hinder his application process regardless of not being charged?

If anyone has been in a similiar situation, please could you let me know your own experience.

Thanks very much in advance!

Amber
Mood:

Re: Drink driving and application from ILR to British Passpo

Post by Amber » Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 pm

If he's convicted rather than charged he'll have to wait 3 years. There is no point in him applying whilst a prosecution is pending.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

solefishes
Newly Registered

Post by solefishes » Wed May 28, 2014 11:33 am

Hi Amber - thank you very much for your response.

What happens if he's not convicted....would he still have a record and have to wait for 3yrs?

Thanks again!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed May 28, 2014 11:59 am

If he's not captioned or convicted, no.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.