ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK salaries compared to USA

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:44 pm

Distance from India is very enticing for me after being in US for many number of years. While I want to go back to India, I still feel the potential to make money is more in countries like US and UK(N+1). At least, earlier US used to be the top option. Now with Dollar going down and pound going up, UK seems like a very good alternative.

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:24 pm

I keep reading from many people's post that quality of life is better in UK. Can someone explain more on this? What factors do you consider and how are you comparing?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:22 am

Hi,

as per my observation being in US/UK,quality of life in UK is better
1)Lots of time for your self..leave work at 5 and enjoy the sun shine till 10 ..In US i could never leave before 7 /6 due to work pressure.
2)Normally , no friends except fellow country man(Indians)..Now dont ask me why..May be bcoz i had short stints at diffent locations.But even my friends who r in US from 10-12 years dont have any friends except fellow country man..Again, my perception..Need not be true..
In UK, i have lot of British friends, we discuss Politics, gov, CRICKET, Football(Not SOCCER), history of both countries...I feel ppl. in UK have a sense of history and i could discuss many topics with them..In US cannot disucss Cricket,Football(soccer for them), Indian politics etc...

3)No need for CAR...I had nightmares in US as i couldnt drive(as i had short stinyts)..So had to rely on friends to even buy bread/milk..There were days when i had to sleep hungey as i didnt anticipate this and found out that nearest shop was half an hour (Drive!!!!!!)...
in UK, i could catch Bus,Train,Tube ,Tram to go to a shop..
So Good public transport

4)Can visit neighbours,friends even on a weekday..in US since the distance is large, we could only meet weekends...Also some how got a feeling that ppl. dont entertain u if they dont know u..(again MY feeling)

5)No Gun culture in UK...so feel safer
6)my Wife could work on dependent visa, in US spouse cannot work unless on H1 (or u have GC)
7)Near to India(but that is not applicable in quality of life)

hmm..I might be wrong in some of the above points but more or less the above factors made me leave US and come to UK..

HTH
Ashish