ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

KoLL requirement from October, 2013

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Hello members,

Just saw the changes to requirements as I was away in April. I will be applying for citizenship in October, 2013. I can see that I will be exempt as I have studied in this country but can someone confirm if my wife has to pass English exam?

She got the settlement visa alongside me in October, 2012. The first paragraph below is bit vague and my interpretation of it is that she might be exempt because she has already satisfied the requirement at the time of settlement (whatever rules were in place at the time i.e. LIUK test).

Just to clarify she has not studied in this country and arrived here as a dependent.

As always your help will be much appreciated

A migrant who fulfils the Life in the UK requirement for settlement as it applies on or after 28
October 2013 will not be required to retake any elements in a later application for naturalisation
but will be deemed automatically to satisfy KoLL at that later stage.

The situation is different for those who applied or apply for settlement before 28 October 2013.
They will have satisfied the KoLL requirement by either passing the Life in the UK test or by taking
an ESOL qualification (probably at a level below B1) and this by itself will not be sufficient should
they later apply for naturalisation. They will need to satisfy the new KoLL requirement but if they
have already passed the Life in the UK test will not need to retake it. For some people this will
mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to
pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level than they had to demonstrate to be
granted leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK.

imran22
Member of Standing

Re: KoLL requirement from October, 2013

Post by imran22 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 am

imran22 wrote:The situation is different for those who applied or apply for settlement before 28 October 2013..........
They will need to satisfy the new KoLL requirement but if they
have already passed the Life in the UK test will not need to retake it.......
I guess I misread it and she has to pass the English exam :(. Can someone confirm?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am

On what date was your ILR granted and stated on your BRP as this will determine the date you can apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for your post CR001

The dates are as follows

Settlement: 15th October, 2012 (this is the date on BRP)
HSMP: 12 November, 2007
Arrival in UK (Me): 10th September, 2002
Arrival in UK (Wife): 1st July, 2007 (dependent of SEGS participant)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

If you were physically present (and your wife) in the UK on 15th October 2008 then you can apply on 15th October 2013 as longs as you both meet the 5 years residence requirement and thereby missing the new requirement for English test as this requirements is only effective from 28th October.

If you apply using NCS on 15 or 16th October, UKBA will recieve your application within a couple of days and that will be considered the date of application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 am

CR001 wrote:If you were physically present (and your wife) in the UK on 15th October 2008 then you can apply on 15th October 2013 as longs as you both meet the 5 years residence requirement and thereby missing the new requirement for English test as this requirements is only effective from 28th October.

If you apply using NCS on 15 or 16th October, UKBA will recieve your application within a couple of days and that will be considered the date of application.
My application definitely falls after the date as I become eligible after 1st Nov 2013, can you please tell me if I still needs to take test? settlement on 1st Nov 2012 based on HSMP+T1G.

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm

p2kin wrote:
CR001 wrote:If you were physically present (and your wife) in the UK on 15th October 2008 then you can apply on 15th October 2013 as longs as you both meet the 5 years residence requirement and thereby missing the new requirement for English test as this requirements is only effective from 28th October.

My application definitely falls after the date as I become eligible after 1st Nov 2013, can you please tell me if I still needs to take test? settlement on 1st Nov 2012 based on HSMP+T1G.

You would have to apply based on the new rules having to demonstrate your English knowledge with a test.

I'm on the same boat, I'm eligible to apply for naturalisation on the 26th October which is Saturday so I only can apply on Monday 28th which is when legislation changes. I have already booked for my IELTS test to be done in June.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks CR001

5 year requirements are as follows? Also I assume that five years include the year on settlement visa as well?

been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am

imran22 wrote:

Thanks CR001

5 year requirements are as follows? Also I assume that five years include the year on settlement visa as well?

been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.
The five years is counted backwards from the date of application so 2013-2008
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 am

CR001 wrote:
imran22 wrote:

Thanks CR001

The five years is counted backwards from the date of application so 2013-2008
The date in which the HO recieve the application, yes.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

yamawida
Newly Registered

Post by yamawida » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:54 pm

I am new here. can any one help me with my question.

I will apply for my British Citizenship (naturalisation) in November this year. Based on recent changes on knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement, I have to meet both parts to the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL). I checked the information on UKBA website, application booklet, application guide for British citizenship but could not find a clear answer in my regards.

I have recently passed Life in the UK test. Also, I have my BA degree from the University of East London (UK qualification). If I attach my certificate for life in the UK test, University degree and transcript (UK qualification) with my application for British Citizenship, would that
meet the new requirement?

or

Do I need to send my UK qualification to NARIC to check and issue a letter?

In the new British Citizenship (nationalisation) application form there is no box to tick for those having a UK qualification.

Your advise on this matter would be highly appreciated.

amitpattjoshi
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by amitpattjoshi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:17 pm

1. Your degree should be deemed by UK NARIC as equivalent - must.

2. Academic Degree taught in english - you should show supportive document - may be from your university letter head showing the degre taught in english in a format UK BA need.(name/degree/issue date/... in the letter head - you can check in UKBA website English requirement)

(NARIC gives you letter if your degree is C1/above..if below it does not say if B1/above thats bit unfortunate) - It takes 15 days around to do by NARIC.

I still have a confusion on second point if my University letter is enough but HOME office I called and they say its fine but you need to come with that letter. - I am going on 8th Nov by the way.

3. Easy way - prepare for few days and give the ESOL test. - 14 days to get the result.

If you have time go for 1 & 2 and more or less you should be fine.

Otherwise need to spend some money and give the test if you can...

Thanks,
Amit

yamawida
Newly Registered

Post by yamawida » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi Amit,
Thanks for your reply. My question is that I have UK degree , taught and researched in English at University of East London. . NARIC evaluates foreign degrees. Whey do I need to send my degree (UK qualification) to NARIC.
Regards,

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 pm

yamawida wrote:Hi Amit,
Thanks for your reply. My question is that I have UK degree , taught and researched in English at University of East London. . NARIC evaluates foreign degrees. Whey do I need to send my degree (UK qualification) to NARIC.
Regards,
You just need to present your certificate as long as it's a BSc a MSc or a Phd from UK university would be ok.

tara70
Newly Registered

Post by tara70 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:19 pm

hi
my son turned 18 last month. He will apply for BC next month. He has been studying in UK since year 2. Done GCSE with 4 A* and 4 As but c in english. Now in year 13 (A levels), He is offered a place in Birmingham uni for 2014-15. What about his GCSE or A2 qualifications? r they equivalent of required KOLL. Please guide.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 am

tara70 wrote:hi
my son turned 18 last month. He will apply for BC next month. He has been studying in UK since year 2. Done GCSE with 4 A* and 4 As but c in english. Now in year 13 (A levels), He is offered a place in Birmingham uni for 2014-15. What about his GCSE or A2 qualifications? r they equivalent of required KOLL. Please guide.
GCSE and A-levels do not satisfy the KOLL requirement.

pechula85
Newly Registered

Post by pechula85 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi there,

I have one question it might seem random but...

My wife is an UK citizen, and we got married (in the UK) in 2012, after I got a spouse visa.
Later on the same year we got a baby (baby was born in the UK), and now my visa is expiring and I have to apply for a ILR.
My question is do I need to take the KOLL test, or I qualify for an exemption?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4.0EXT.pdf

Page 10

(parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives of people present and settled in
the UK, applying under paragraph 317 of the Immigration Rules, even if they are aged
between 18 and 64).

tara70
Newly Registered

Post by tara70 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Just Wondering wrote:
tara70 wrote:hi
GCSE and A-levels do not satisfy the KOLL requirement.
just found from<< https://www.gov.uk/english-language >> regarding english test that :
If you’re applying to settle
You don’t need to prove it if you’re applying as:
an adult dependent relative between 18 and 64 of someone present and settled in the UK or who is as a refugee or has humanitarian protection.
As me and my husband both recently naturalised and my 18 year old son is stu
dent and still dependent on us. Does this rule apply on him....Plz advice