ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-Entering Country without GNIB (I have other docs)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

irishanon
Newly Registered

Re-Entering Country without GNIB (I have other docs)

Post by irishanon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Dear All,

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, and I hope you guys bear with me as I explain the situation. I have been lurking on this board and it has provided me with quite a few excellent suggestions in my application. All of you guys (you know who you are!) are doing an outstanding job!

The facts of the matter are as follows:

Applied for naturalisation on the basis of 5 years working. Applied through a solicitor.

Recently (2 days ago) I received confirmation in the form of a letter of intent for naturalisation (i.e. letter of approval asking for 950E, 2 photos etc)
My GNIB card only expires some time next year - as does the stamp in the passport (obviously).
I am from a country that does not require a multiple entry visa - I checked the list here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... eland.html

I am currently dealing with an emergency family situation outside of Ireland which may require some time to handle.I pre-empted the situation by already obtaining the 950E bank draft in advance and all other pertinent documentation.

I quickly did a search on the forums and came up with this thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... ng#p813879

My idea is to send the documents via courier prior to my return back to Ireland.

This however means that I will no longer have my GNIB card upon arrival.

Questions:

1. Do the instructions made by IntegratedMigrant below still hold true?
IntegratedMigrant wrote:Yes you can.

1. Have your re-entry visa with you Not applicable in my case
2. Have a copy of your GNIB card with you Easily done, will make color photocopies
3. Have the letter of intention to grant citizenship from INIS Can be done
4. Explain to the immigration officer the reason why you dont have your GNIB card
5. Provide them with these documents

You will have no problem at all if you follow these steps.
2. I have been unable to find any policy/document on the INIS website relating to this - ie in black and white. Is there such a document?

3. I notice quite a slew of different experiences written on this board by people who are actually at the immigration counters at airports. Some say that the immigration officer doesn't ask for the card, others say that its mandatory to have the card etc. It almost seems like its who you get at the counter on the day.

TL;DR - Want to courier my GNIB card before I return to Ireland. Overseas due to family emergency. Don't want to run into any trouble with immigration at the airport, so I would like to know how familiar these guys are with the process. (Won't be travelling into Dublin Airport).

I look forward to hearing your responses on this.

Thanks again!

wangmuyuan
Newly Registered

Re: Re-Entering Country without GNIB (I have other docs)

Post by wangmuyuan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 pm

As long as you have your approval letter by hand and the valid multi-reentry visa you will be fine. In your case you may not be required the re-entry visa. I have done the samething last month and the officers in the boarder control understand all these things.

irishanon
Newly Registered

Post by irishanon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:44 am

wangmuyuan wrote:As long as you have your approval letter by hand and the valid multi-reentry visa you will be fine. In your case you may not be required the re-entry visa. I have done the samething last month and the officers in the boarder control understand all these things.
Hey, thanks for the quick response.

Which airport did you fly into?

I find it quite strange that the neither the DFA site nor the INIS site addresses this issue - surely people travel after handing in their GNIB cards?

wangmuyuan
Newly Registered

Post by wangmuyuan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 am

Dublin Airport ofc

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:03 pm

You will not have any problems at the airport if you still have a valid permission in your passport, your naturalization approval letter and lets say a copy of your GNIB card

irishanon
Newly Registered

Post by irishanon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:19 am

agniukas wrote:You will not have any problems at the airport if you still have a valid permission in your passport, your naturalization approval letter and lets say a copy of your GNIB card
Thanks for the response.