ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being the Director but not conducting business?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

daYZman

Being the Director but not conducting business?

Post by daYZman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi,

I see that Tier 4 holders are not permitted to be self-employed. However, could a holder be the Director of a business but be employed to take on just technical responsibilities, e.g., as a Programmer, during the time on Tier 4? There's no management or trading involved, so that shouldn't be regarded as 'conducting business', right?

Thanks

rav_1113
Newly Registered

Re: Being the Director but not conducting business?

Post by rav_1113 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 pm

daYZman wrote:Hi,

I see that Tier 4 holders are not permitted to be self-employed. However, could a holder be the Director of a business but be employed to take on just technical responsibilities, e.g., as a Programmer, during the time on Tier 4? There's no management or trading involved, so that shouldn't be regarded as 'conducting business', right?

Thanks
i don't think that is permitted. If the company is set up by a director and its trading, so that means you are doing a business under this company name which is not allowed to be run by TIER 4 holder

Under Tier 4 you are just allowed to work for 20 hours for an employer. It does not allow you to establish yourself as a employer and than work as an employee.

You may get away with this but its not permitted

daYZman

Post by daYZman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 pm

rav_1113 wrote: i don't think that is permitted. If the company is set up by a director and its trading, so that means you are doing a business under this company name which is not allowed to be run by TIER 4 holder
I was going through the Guidance at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf but it only says no self-employment (288-298) and nothing about doing business in general even. A one-man firm is quite different to self-employment though. Have I missed something?

Thanks

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

daYZman wrote:
rav_1113 wrote: i don't think that is permitted. If the company is set up by a director and its trading, so that means you are doing a business under this company name which is not allowed to be run by TIER 4 holder
I was going through the Guidance at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf but it only says no self-employment (288-298) and nothing about doing business in general even. A one-man firm is quite different to self-employment though. Have I missed something?

Thanks

running a one man limited company is also treated a self employement
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

Ques
Newly Registered

Post by Ques » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:22 pm

In continuation with this post, what if the company has two directors. One who is the owner of the company (not a student and eligible to be self employed~) and the other on a 20hrs/week employment in the position of a director?