ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lone parent income support help!!

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jesswongwong

Housing benefit living in ex partner hose

Post by jesswongwong » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:48 am

Hi
I am lone parent with son of age 2
I currently receive income support for nearly 3months
Before Amber suggest me can still get housing benefit
Now I am living in ex husband who left UK house with his sole name mortgage
I have paid the mortgage of £370 monthly
I cheque in his mortgage account
I would like to know how may I can get housing help
Directly go to council for application
Or Ho to CAB
But my local CAB is not really helpful from last experience of claiming my income support ..
Any help

Amber
Mood:

Re: Housing benefit living in ex partner hose

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm

There's usually a 13 week waiting period for SMI. Contact the job centre and make sure they have the mortgage details.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 am

[quote="Amber"]There's usually a 13 week waiting period for SMI. Contact the job centre and make sure they have the mortgage details.[/quote]
Thank you
The 13 weeks period is nearly due
But not the council do mortgage help ??
Anyway what sort of document details shall I given to job centre ? I just call them to make an appointment ??
By the way I have a work interview on 30/7 ., what's it abt ? Can I ask for housing help by that interview ?
Many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:43 am

Work interview is about seeing if there are any suitable jobs for you. Just tell them you're a full time Mother.

No the council don't help with mortgages. Take the mortgage details to job centre plus and explain he's ran off and left you to pay the mortgage otherwise the home will be repossessed and you'll be homeless. Ask them to use the exception and grant SMI for housing costs on your income support.

Take a copy of:
Amber wrote:Regarding housing costs/support with mortgage interest:
23423 wrote:A person is liable to meet housing costs where the
2. person liable for those costs is not meeting them and
2.1 the claimant has to meet the costs to keep on living in the home and
2.2 it is reasonable in all the circumstances to treat the claimant as liable for the costs2 or
3. costs are shared with other members of the household who are not close relatives of the claimant, the claimant’s partner, or the other member of a joint-claim couple and
3.1 at least one member of the household is liable for those costs and
3.2 it is reasonable in the circumstances to treat the claimant as sharing responsibility3.
1 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(a); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(a); R(IS) 4/00; 2 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(b); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(b); R(IS) 12/94; R(IS) 8/01; 3 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(c); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(c)
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 am

[quote="Amber"]Work interview is about seeing if there are any suitable jobs for you. Just tell them you're a full time Mother.

No the council don't help with mortgages. Take the mortgage details to job centre plus and explain he's ran off and left you to pay the mortgage otherwise the home will be repossessed and you'll be homeless. Ask them to use the exception and grant SMI for housing costs on your income support.

Take a copy of:

[quote="Amber"]Regarding housing costs/support with mortgage interest:

[quote="[url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... mgch23.pdf]23423[/url]"][b][u]A person is liable to meet housing costs where the[/u][/b]
2. [b][u]person liable for those costs is not meeting them and[/u][/b]
2.1 [b][u]the claimant has to meet the costs to keep on living in the home and[/u][/b]
2.2 [b][u]it is reasonable in all the circumstances to treat the claimant as liable for the costs[/u][/b]2 or
3. costs are shared with other members of the household who are not close relatives of the claimant, the claimant’s partner, or the other member of a joint-claim couple and
3.2 it is reasonable in the circumstances to treat the claimant as sharing responsibility3.
1 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(a); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(a); R(IS) 4/00; 2 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(b); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(b); R(IS) 12/94; R(IS) 8/01; 3 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(c); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(c)[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Thank you
I will tell them together on the interview and try to ask what sort of document they need
I just get the mortgage summary and his bank statement through post

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm

[quote="Amber"]Work interview is about seeing if there are any suitable jobs for you. Just tell them you're a full time Mother.

Take a copy of:

[quote="Amber"]Regarding housing costs/support with mortgage interest:

[quote="[url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... mgch23.pdf]23423[/url]"][b][u]A person is liable to meet housing costs where the[/u][/b]
2. [b][u]person liable for those costs is not meeting them and[/u][/b]
2.1 [b][u]the claimant has to meet the costs to keep on living in the home and[/u][/b]
2.2 [b][u]it is reasonable in all the circumstances to treat the claimant as liable for the costs[/u][/b]2 or
1 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(a); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(a); R(IS) 4/00; 2 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(b); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(b); R(IS) 12/94; R(IS) 8/01; 3 JSA Regs, Sch 2, para 2(1)(c); IS (Gen) Regs, Sch 3, para 2(1)(c)[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Hi amber
The MSI is only can get the form from phone .. I just call to ask one
None of the job centre nor the income support telephone officer can tell me how I may be help
They just ask me to fill the form anyway

Amber
Mood:

Re: Lone parent income support help!!

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Take the form to CAB?

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:37 pm

[quote="Amber"]Take the form to CAB?[/quote]

Um.. The income support hotline just said I may add a cover letter to explain
To CAB, I remember last time I claim income support .. Go cab and also ask abt mortgage
They just told me I cant as mortgage is not my name
Amber , u feel good I take to CAB first ?
For MSI , it take six days for a written decision

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 pm

I would forget the CAB apply with a cover letter detailing what I've said regarding the exception. Make it clear that your husband has left the Country and you are making payments without doing so, you and your child/children would be homeless.

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 pm

[quote="Amber"]I would forget the CAB apply with a cover letter detailing what I've said regarding the exception. Make it clear that your husband has left the Country and you are making payments without doing so, you and your child/children would be homeless.[/quote]

Thank you

Any chance to appeal if rejected ?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 pm

You have one month for a mandatory reconsideration, yes.

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 pm

[quote="Amber"]You have one month for a mandatory reconsideration, yes.[/quote]
Amber
You give me some information something like guideance or rule
May I know where are they come ,
By the way should I quote those guidelines in my cover letter

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 am

See page 101 of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... mgch23.pdf

Yes you should quote it.

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 pm

[quote="Amber"]See page 101 of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... mgch23.pdf

Yes you should quote it.[/quote]
Thank you
Just got the application form.. Need the lender to fill in ., but I am not the mortgagee .. Dun feel like the bank will disclose the details on the form to me

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Is there any documents in the house with the necessary information?

jesswongwong

Post by jesswongwong » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 pm

[quote="Amber"]Is there any documents in the house with the necessary information?[/quote]
Yes
I may able to fill most of it
But the form need halifax stamp .. So..... No hope

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Pop into the local Halifax branch and explain the situation, see if they're able to help. Explain if it's not stamped, there will be no payment.