ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What Exactly is Leave To Remain?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mrs.Graham
Newly Registered

What Exactly is Leave To Remain?

Post by Mrs.Graham » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi.
I have been searching high and low, and would really appreciate a break down...

What is the difference between 'Leave to Remain' and 'Indefinite Leave To Remain'?
I am really interested in knowing what are typical restrictions made to someone who has 'LTR'???

Thank you in advance!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: What Exactly is Leave To Remain?

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Mrs.Graham wrote:Hi.
I have been searching high and low, and would really appreciate a break down...

What is the difference between 'Leave to Remain' and 'Indefinite Leave To Remain'?
I am really interested in knowing what are typical restrictions made to someone who has 'LTR'???

Thank you in advance!
Leave to Remain covers alot - best to think in terms of ILR (Indefinate Leave to Remain, ie permanent residence) and Limited Leave to Remain ie leave granted with finite time period such as Spouse visa, Student visa, work Permit etc....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Leave to remain is permission to stay in the UK either temporarily (limited leave to remain) or permanently (indefinite leave to remain). The leave May be with or without restriction/permission e.g. Limited leave to remain as a spouse with no recourse no public funds. Leave to remain denotes an in-Country application whereas Leave to enter denotes an out of a Country application, to enter the UK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Mrs.Graham
Newly Registered

Post by Mrs.Graham » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Thank you for the responses... I think I understand it right now.

One more question... If we (my husband) applied and were granted 'Limited Leave to Remain', would my husband be able to travel to and from the UK or would he have to remain in the UK (without leaving)?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:36 pm

He would be free to travel.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.