ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for spouse of UK citizen

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dila88
Newly Registered

ILR for spouse of UK citizen

Post by Dila88 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi!

Thank you for providing such a wonderful consultation option.

I am a citizen of Ukraine. I have a British husband. We’ve been married for 6 years. I hold a 2 year FAMILY visa (C) to UK which expires in December of this year.
I’ve been thinking of getting something more permanent. I’ve been reading on the subject and as far as a understand I would need to apply for “family of a settled person visa” which will be granted for a period of 2.5 years, then extend it for another 2.5 years before I can finally apply for “indefinite leave to remain”.
My questions are:
1.Can I apply for a “Family of a settled person visa” while staying in UK on a Family visa (C)?
How much time do I need to allocate for visa processing? As I said my visa expires in December 2014. What is the latest time I can apply?
2. Assuming I will get a “Family of a settled person visa” will I need to spend continuous time in UK during my 5 years on this visa in order to be granted an Indefinite Leave to remain afterwards? Am I allowed any breaks?

Thank you,
Dila

Amber
Mood:

Re: ILR for spouse of UK citizen

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 pm

You can't switch from a visit visa in the UK. How long has your spouse been in the UK?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Dila88
Newly Registered

Post by Dila88 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Amber wrote:You can't switch from a visit visa in the UK. How long has your spouse been in the UK?
Thank you for your reply. That's a bummer!
My husband was born British.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Well how long have you been in the UK?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Dila88
Newly Registered

Post by Dila88 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 pm

Amber wrote:Well how long have you been in the UK?
I have been in and out of UK for the last few years on Family visitor visas.
Right now I am not in UK but planning to go there in August.

Dila88
Newly Registered

Post by Dila88 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 am

I should clarify that I am not in my home country now either. I am in USA right now and I am planning to travel to UK from US in August. From that point I will be allowed to stay in UK for 6 months under my present visa conditions.
I was hoping to avoid getting back to Ukraine to apply for a "Visa to join family in UK". I was hoping to apply for a "Visa to Remain in the UK with family" from within UK.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 am

Amber is right. Not possible I'm afraid.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Dila88
Newly Registered

Post by Dila88 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Thank you.
I guess I will have to do it from Ukraine.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Before you apply make sure you are able to meet all the conditions required for a spouse visa, especially your husband's earning meeting the minimum of £18,600 per annum. A refusal for a settlement visa could well affect future applications for a visitor visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Dila88
Newly Registered

Post by Dila88 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Thank you. I will make sure of that.
Can you give me any advice on my second question?
2. Assuming I will get a “Family of a settled person visa” will I need to spend continuous time in UK during my 5 years on this visa in order to be granted an Indefinite Leave to remain afterwards? Am I allowed any breaks?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:31 pm

You are allowed 'reasonable trips' outside of the UK but long periods of absence would come under scrutiny and may affect your ILR application.
(Casa, not CR001)