ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner Applying for ILR - When Can I?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

surefire179
Newly Registered

Partner Applying for ILR - When Can I?

Post by surefire179 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:21 am

My now wife received her Tier 1 (General) visa in June 2009 and is now coming up on her 5 years in the UK and will be applying for ILR in June 2014. I received my own Tier 1 (General) visa in January 2010 and so will still have another 6 months before I could apply for my own ILR. We were not married at the time we received the visas and so neither of us ever had dependent visas.

My question is can I receive ILR through my wife when she applies in June 2014 or will I still have to do my own application in January 2015?

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Re: Partner Applying for ILR - When Can I?

Post by haiksuresh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

I think, two ways

1) you need to convert as Tier 1 dependent and then you can go for ILR along with your wifes ILR application.
2) you need wait another 6 months to get qualifying period to apply for ILR.

Regards,
Suresh

surefire179
Newly Registered

Switch from Tier 1 visa to ILR dependant

Post by surefire179 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 am

My wife and I both held our own Tier 1 General visas and have been in the UK for around 5 years. As she received her visa a few months before me she has since applied for and received ILR. Unfortunately I have not been working the past year and so do not have sufficient income to claim ILR. What are the best options and possibilities for me to switch visas as my Tier 1 visa expires end of the year?

vinny

Re: Switch from Tier 1 visa to ILR dependant

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 am

Switching under the 5-year route is possible. You may qualify for SET(M) in 2019.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

surefire179
Newly Registered

Post by surefire179 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 am

One additional question - my wife and I have a son that was born in the UK. Since my wife received ILR we have applied for British citizenship for our son. Are there any other possibilities for a parent of a British citizen besides that additional 5 year route you mentioned?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 am

No. That appears to be the quickest route at present, unless you qualify for ILR under Tier 1 (General).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.