ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

We know nothing and we need help =]

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

C7D
Newly Registered

We know nothing and we need help =]

Post by C7D » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:47 am

Morning…

I wasn’t sure where to post this so hopefully I got it right.

Not sure where to begin!

I’m an Israeli from Israel while my wife is British and living in London.
Our plan was to move to Israel because I was starting a business there and it seemed to make more sense because of that.
Lately, with everything that has been happening we changed our minds but the truth is that there are several reasons for that.
One being the state of war but there is also the question of weather (which my wife can’t stand and honestly neither can I) and my wife’s dad. His health is not great and she feels that it’s important for her to be close so she can help either with her company or whatever else that needs to be done.

We’ve been together for over six years now and throughout this time we would constantly spend several months together and then several months apart.

We have a lot of pictures we took while travelling, etc, but honestly I never thought about keeping old plane tickets and things of that sort.

We have a few minor issues, though…
Several years ago I applied for a student visa and for reasons that had nothing to do with me I didn’t get it.
Apparently the course I wanted to take wasn’t registered under some department but there was something quite fishy when the person who checked my application couldn’t find any record that the place even exists – allegedly.
On my next visit to England I was stopped and questioned but ultimately they realised that I’m not a threat.
In addition the officer who handled my case phoned the place where I wanted to study and having talked with them she realised that indeed the place does exist.
Suffice it to say that the whole thing was surreal!

Since then I’ve been to England 7 or 8 times and each time it’s the same story, they stop me, ask the same questions and let me in.

Last time they allowed me in without even asking anything which is good but having these officer stamps in my passport might cause some issues and I need to know how to address it when applying for a spouse visa.

Because of our somewhat “different” way of living neither of us was able to keep a good job for long periods of time since each time either she or I would take several months break to see each other.

From our perspective (because we don’t know the system yet) we feel that our reasons for settling down in England are reasonable.

We are unsure what papers we need to have or where to get them and we feel kind of lost.

I know I need to take an English test.
Originally I wanted to take the Proficiency exam but having done the ‘example’ online I realised that my English is not at that level.
I tried the PET exam and that one was just fine, no issues whatsoever.

So as you can see we really know nothing and would appreciate all the help we can get.

Thanks
D

Casa

Re: We know nothing and we need help =]

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:51 am

Before we look into the requirements in depth, does your wife earn at least £18,600 per annum or do you have substantial savings?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

C7D
Newly Registered

Post by C7D » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks for replying.
No, she does not. Yet.

What are the ramifications?
Does she need to earn that much for a certain amount of time before we can start the process?

Just wondering, what would make a good amount of savings that they would accept instead of the annual income of 18,600 ?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am

Over £60,000 for savings alone. What's your current status where are you?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

C7D
Newly Registered

Post by C7D » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Re, my current status... at the moment I'm visiting in England but will go back to Israel in three weeks.
Like I said, at the moment I live in Israel and my wife lives in England.

We had a meeting with an immigration adviser and I'd like to run what we learned through the forum to make sure it's all on point.

My Wife needs:

- She needs to earn 18,600 for at least six months before I can apply for a visa.
- She needs to have a one bedroom flat.
- She needs to prove (probably a letter from her employer will do?) that her job is not seasonal and that it’s sustainable.

I need to have:

- a CRB document to prove I don’t have a criminal record
- Couple pictures to prove that we’ve been together the whole time and spent time together (easy, we have about ten thousand, no, I’m not joking)
- Chat histories: MSN, Gmail, Text messages, Skype, etc.
- Driver’s license copy
- Full Copy of my wife’s passport including her ‘extended stay’ visa in Israel, etc.
- Plane tickets
- Birth certificates of both of us (?)
- PTE certificate, proving the my English is sufficient.
- My wife’s payslips and bank statements for at least six months (while making 18,600).
- Tenancy agreement of flat
- Letters from friends and family, stating that we are a couple and have been together the whole time, etc. (we’re not sure if these letters need to be signed by a lawyer and/or have an affidavit per each of them)
- Marriage certificate + copies
- Wedding video and Engagement video (sent on a CD I assume?)
- ALL videos and pictures on a CD
- Links to facebook albums

Both of us:

- Need to be interviewed

Is all of this correct or is there anything missing from the lists?
Thanks

We do have questions and would appreciate any help.

Q1, How long does my wife need to be earning 18,600?
The reason we’re asking is that we are unsure whether it is only HER that needs to be earning this amount or can it be both of us together (once I’m living in England)?
Also, since the first visa is for 2.5 years and then the second visa is for another 2.5 years and then once 5 years have elapsed I need to apply for a third visa which as I understand is a permanent one but only 5 years after that (ten years in total) I can actually apply for citizenship.
So our question here is out of all this time, when are we free from having to prove a certain amount of income?
I want to elaborate on why we’re asking this…
We both had to take a break from university studies and would like to continue as soon as we’re settled but as long as we’re under examination and cannot find our own flexibility (not sure how else to put it) we don’t know if my wife will be able to afford the spare time that education demands.
I hope my question is understood, it was slightly drawn out.

Q2, With regards to the CRB document that is required, is this an Israeli CRB from Israel, or a UK document, or both?

Q3, If I am successful in being granted a visa. At this point can the 18,600 per annum be a joint income or must my wife still earn this amount on her own?

Q4, Until the point that I may be granted a permanent visa, which as I understand takes 5 years and three visas, is the 18,600 a minimum amount that has to be earned until that point or does this amount only have to be earned for the six months period before I apply for a visa?

Q5, As part of the vetting procedure, I realise that both my wife and I will need to be interviewed, probably on a number of occasions, so could you tell me, would my interview take place in the UK or Israel. If in the UK, I presume that I’d be given fair notice of dates in order to arrange travel from Israel.
At the same token, what should we expect for my wife’s interview?

We’re also unsure whether these interviews are done separately or do they require both of us together.

Q6, With regards to the interviews, what sort of questions should we expect to be asked?

Q7, With regards to our future accommodation, would, for a example, a rental agreement stating that we are renting a one bedroom flat/house be acceptable proof of our accommodation or is there a need for further documented proof?

Q8, During the period of application while I am in Israel, would there be any problems if my wife had a flat mate in order to make the rent easier to afford?
In fact, is there a problem for us to have roommates at all?

Q9, The letters of our relationship confirmation from friends and family, do we need a minimum amount? And, do they need to be signed just by the writer or counter signed by a lawyer and have an affidavit?

Q10, As far as my passport is concerned, if successful in obtaining a permanent stay whether or not at each renewal of my passport, will this visa automatically be included?
In addition, what happens if I either lose my passport or it simply reaches it’s expiration date.
I’m asking this because my passport’s expiration date is 2018 which is only 4 years from now.

Q11, With regards to all the documents in my application, which of them needs to be the original document and which can be a printed/scanned copy?

Q12, At the moment we still have our original names. Meaning, neither my wife adopted mine nor I hers. Ideally, we would like to have both which will require both of us to have our names changed.
We would like to know whether changing them now will introduce any unnecessary complications?
I’m unsure whether I need to change passports or not when changing and adding a name.

Q13, With regards to the accommodation, we would further like to ask, how long do we need to keep to the expectations of a ‘one bedroom flat’?
Is this merely for the six months at which I apply for the visa, or does this expectation continue well into the first 2,5 years and even more so, into the full 5 years?
We’re asking this because we are both interested in ‘Environmental Studies’ and are therefore interested in the idea of green homes and tiny homes.

Q14, With regards to my student visa refusal (read my first post for further information) that took place several years ago, should we address it and explain it as part of my application for spouse visa or should we let the officer run his/her background check on their own and see that the matter has been resolved and that I have been allowed in England many times since?

Q15, Is there a general knowledge exam on England that I need to pass and include in my visa application or is this part of the one-on-one interview?
If so, are there any advisable books?

Q16, With regards to the PTE English exam, some sources have said that the test is good for life while other that it’s only good for two years. Which is it?

Many thanks
We really appreciate all the help we can get.
Cheers =]

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm

C7D wrote:Re, my current status... at the moment I'm visiting in England but will go back to Israel in three weeks.

We had a meeting with an immigration adviser and I'd like to run what we learned through the forum to make sure it's all on point.

My Wife needs:

- She needs to earn 18,600 for at least six months before I can apply for a visa.
- She needs to prove (probably a letter from her employer will do?) that her job is not seasonal and that it’s sustainable.

I need to have:

- a CRB document to prove I don’t have a criminal record
- Couple pictures to prove that we’ve been together the whole time and spent time together (easy, we have about ten thousand, no, I’m not joking)
- Driver’s license copy
- Full Copy of my wife’s passport including her ‘extended stay’ visa in Israel, etc.
- Plane tickets
- Birth certificates of both of us (?)
- My wife’s payslips and bank statements for at least six months (while making 18,600).
- Letters from friends and family, stating that we are a couple and have been together the whole time, etc. (we’re not sure if these letters need to be signed by a lawyer and/or have an affidavit per each of them)
- Marriage certificate + copies
- Wedding video and Engagement video (sent on a CD I assume?)
- ALL videos and pictures on a CD
- Links to facebook albums

Both of us:

- Need to be interviewed

Thanks

Q1, How long does my wife need to be earning 18,600?
The reason we’re asking is that we are unsure whether it is only HER that needs to be earning this amount or can it be both of us together (once I’m living in England)?
Also, since the first visa is for 2.5 years and then the second visa is for another 2.5 years and then once 5 years have elapsed I need to apply for a third visa which as I understand is a permanent one but only 5 years after that (ten years in total) I can actually apply for citizenship.
So our question here is out of all this time, when are we free from having to prove a certain amount of income?
We both had to take a break from university studies and would like to continue as soon as we’re settled but as long as we’re under examination and cannot find our own flexibility (not sure how else to put it) we don’t know if my wife will be able to afford the spare time that education demands.
For your entry clearance, it can only be her. Once you are free to work in the UK, it can be your incomes combined (for the 2.5 year extension. After five years, you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain. As the rules currently stand, once you are granted ILR, you will immediately be eligible for British citizenship. After you have ILR, you are free from the income requirement (so after 5 years).

Q2, With regards to the CRB document that is required, is this an Israeli CRB from Israel, or a UK document, or both?
No CRB is required. You just have to answer questions about any criminal history on the application form (or lack of criminal history)

Q3, If I am successful in being granted a visa. At this point can the 18,600 per annum be a joint income or must my wife still earn this amount on her own?
Once you can work in the UK (legally), incomes can be combined.

Q4, Until the point that I may be granted a permanent visa, which as I understand takes 5 years and three visas, is the 18,600 a minimum amount that has to be earned until that point or does this amount only have to be earned for the six months period before I apply for a visa?

Q5, As part of the vetting procedure, I realise that both my wife and I will need to be interviewed, probably on a number of occasions, so could you tell me, would my interview take place in the UK or Israel. If in the UK, I presume that I’d be given fair notice of dates in order to arrange travel from Israel.
At the same token, what should we expect for my wife’s interview?

We’re also unsure whether these interviews are done separately or do they require both of us together.
Interviews are extremely rare, but dependent on country you apply in. Not sure about Israel, but I think interviews are very unlikely.

Q6, With regards to the interviews, what sort of questions should we expect to be asked?
Interview is unlikely.

Q7, With regards to our future accommodation, would, for a example, a rental agreement stating that we are renting a one bedroom flat/house be acceptable proof of our accommodation or is there a need for further documented proof?
You must prove that the accommodation would not be overcrowded. You don't even need a one bed flat: you need a room that is just yours and your wife's. There are different requirements. A rental house/flat would require rental agreement and letter from the landlord giving you permission to live at the residence.

Q8, During the period of application while I am in Israel, would there be any problems if my wife had a flat mate in order to make the rent easier to afford?
In fact, is there a problem for us to have roommates at all?
Not a problem - you just need to have a room for just you and your wife (a bedroom).

Q9, The letters of our relationship confirmation from friends and family, do we need a minimum amount? And, do they need to be signed just by the writer or counter signed by a lawyer and have an affidavit?
You don't need this sort of evidence. Just evidence of direct contact between you and your spouse (phone logs, a couple of photos, screenshots or call histories, plane tickets, etc...).

Q10, As far as my passport is concerned, if successful in obtaining a permanent stay whether or not at each renewal of my passport, will this visa automatically be included?
In addition, what happens if I either lose my passport or it simply reaches it’s expiration date.
I’m asking this because my passport’s expiration date is 2018 which is only 4 years from now.
Only your entry clearance will be in the passport. Your renewal will be a BRP - which is a bit like a driving license or credit card.

Q11, With regards to all the documents in my application, which of them needs to be the original document and which can be a printed/scanned copy?
Originals and copies are required for EVERYTHING

Q12, At the moment we still have our original names. Meaning, neither my wife adopted mine nor I hers. Ideally, we would like to have both which will require both of us to have our names changed.
We would like to know whether changing them now will introduce any unnecessary complications?
I’m unsure whether I need to change passports or not when changing and adding a name.
Changing names now or later will make no difference to the validity of your application. However, if you are changing your name, you will have to pay to have this changed on your passport AND visa, and this will cost lots of money! Advice, if you want to change your name, change it before the visa process starts!

Q13, With regards to the accommodation, we would further like to ask, how long do we need to keep to the expectations of a ‘one bedroom flat’?
Is this merely for the six months at which I apply for the visa, or does this expectation continue well into the first 2,5 years and even more so, into the full 5 years?
We’re asking this because we are both interested in ‘Environmental Studies’ and are therefore interested in the idea of green homes and tiny homes.

Irrelevant, see above.

Q14, With regards to my student visa refusal (read my first post for further information) that took place several years ago, should we address it and explain it as part of my application for spouse visa or should we let the officer run his/her background check on their own and see that the matter has been resolved and that I have been allowed in England many times since?
Answer all questions honestly. It might take longer to process your visa, but only previous deception on visa applications could stop you from being approved if you meet the other requirements of the visa.

Q15, Is there a general knowledge exam on England that I need to pass and include in my visa application or is this part of the one-on-one interview?
If so, are there any advisable books?

Only for ILR applications. Life in the UK test.

Q16, With regards to the PTE English exam, some sources have said that the test is good for life while other that it’s only good for two years. Which is it?

Many thanks
Cheers =]
Those are the answers I know! Phew that took forever...

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 pm

C7D wrote:Re, my current status... at the moment I'm visiting in England but will go back to Israel in three weeks.

My Wife needs:

I need to have:

- a CRB document to prove I don’t have a criminal record Not required
- Couple pictures to prove that we’ve been together the whole time and spent time together (easy, we have about ten thousand, no, I’m not joking) Submit a reasonable amount.
- Driver’s license copy Not required
- Full Copy of my wife’s passport including her ‘extended stay’ visa in Israel, etc. This copy must be legally certified
- Plane tickets
- Birth certificates of both of us (?) Not required
- Letters from friends and family, stating that we are a couple and have been together the whole time, etc. (we’re not sure if these letters need to be signed by a lawyer and/or have an affidavit per each of them) Usually not taken into account
- Marriage certificate + copies original
- Wedding video and Engagement video (sent on a CD I assume?) Videos and CD's won't be viewed.
- ALL videos and pictures on a CD See about
- Links to facebook albums Won't be viewed

Both of us:

- Need to be interviewed Not necessarily

Thanks

Q1, How long does my wife need to be earning 18,600? 6 months
The reason we’re asking is that we are unsure whether it is only HER that needs to be earning this amount or can it be both of us together (once I’m living in England)? Only her earnings counted
Also, since the first visa is for 2.5 years and then the second visa is for another 2.5 years and then once 5 years have elapsed I need to apply for a third visa which as I understand is a permanent one but only 5 years after that (ten years in total) I can actually apply for citizenship. You can apply immediately after being granted permanent residence (ILR) assuming you meet the standard requirements
So our question here is out of all this time, when are we free from having to prove a certain amount of income? Until you are granted ILR

Q2, With regards to the CRB document that is required, is this an Israeli CRB from Israel, or a UK document, or both? Not required

Q3, If I am successful in being granted a visa. At this point can the 18,600 per annum be a joint income or must my wife still earn this amount on her own? As soon as you enter the UK on your spouse visa

Q4, Until the point that I may be granted a permanent visa, which as I understand takes 5 years and three visas, is the 18,600 a minimum amount that has to be earned until that point or does this amount only have to be earned for the six months period before I apply for a visa? For the entire period

Q5, As part of the vetting procedure, I realise that both my wife and I will need to be interviewed, probably on a number of occasions, so could you tell me, would my interview take place in the UK or Israel. If in the UK, I presume that I’d be given fair notice of dates in order to arrange travel from Israel. In Israel
At the same token, what should we expect for my wife’s interview? She won't be interviewed if she's in the UK

Q6, With regards to the interviews, what sort of questions should we expect to be asked? Personal questions that you'd be expected to know. Birthday, where she works, where she lives, how and when you first met etc.

Q7, With regards to our future accommodation, would, for a example, a rental agreement stating that we are renting a one bedroom flat/house be acceptable proof of our accommodation or is there a need for further documented proof? Yes as long as the size of rooms is stated. Otherwise submit an accommodation inspection report from estate agent or council

In fact, is there a problem for us to have roommates at all? Yes there would be if it's only one bedroom.

Q9, The letters of our relationship confirmation from friends and family, do we need a minimum amount? And, do they need to be signed just by the writer or counter signed by a lawyer and have an affidavit? Not usually taken into consideration

Q10, As far as my passport is concerned, if successful in obtaining a permanent stay whether or not at each renewal of my passport, will this visa automatically be included? I don't understand your question.

Q11, With regards to all the documents in my application, which of them needs to be the original document and which can be a printed/scanned copy? All documents including bank statements and pay slips must be originals or legally certified copies.

I’m unsure whether I need to change passports or not when changing and adding a name. The visa will be issued in the name shown in your passport.

We’re asking this because we are both interested in ‘Environmental Studies’ and are therefore interested in the idea of green homes and tiny homes. You'll need to show that the accommodation is 'adequate' at each stage. i.e not overcrowded

Q14, With regards to my student visa refusal (read my first post for further information) that took place several years ago, should we address it and explain it as part of my application for spouse visa or should we let the officer run his/her background check on their own and see that the matter has been resolved and that I have been allowed in England many times since? You'll have to state that you have had a visa refused in the past. The refusal shouldn't be a problem but withholding the information would be.

If so, are there any advisable books? Not until you apply for ILR. You can take the test at any time. Life in the UK study book

Q16, With regards to the PTE English exam, some sources have said that the test is good for life while other that it’s only good for two years. Which is it? I'll let someone else answer this. ILR will require English at B1 level together with the Life in the UK test.

Many thanks
Cheers =]
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

C7D
Newly Registered

Post by C7D » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm

First, I would like to thank you for replying!
You have no idea how much we appreciate it and it really does help a great deal!
Thank you so much.

Further questions…

Q17, Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a ‘legally certified document’ and what does it entail?

Q18, With regards to my wife’s passport, does it need to be included in my visa application or is a ‘legally certified copy’ enough?
We’re asking because it seems to us that with an unclear time frame regarding the application, taking my wife’s passport to Israel with me, when she might need it (traveling may even be part of her job) will introduce further complications.

Q19, Where do I apply for the visa, when in Israel, is it in the British Consul in Tel Aviv?

Q20, With regards to ‘bedroom’ and ‘overcrowding’ expectations, what would qualify as each of those?
I can appreciate that a private bedroom is in essence a private bedroom but I’m not sure what “overcrowded” means.
At the moment, my wife is living with her parents in order to save money and help with her dad’s health problems. She has a double bedroom of her own but the living room and Spam as well as the shower are all shared.
We would like to know whether, worst case scenario, if she will not be able to find a flat to our liking, will this accommodation meet the requirements?
For the record, her parents have offered and would love to have us living with them.

I also want to add that assuming this is acceptable it makes life a lot easier in the sense that we could then look for flats together, move the furniture together and so on.
Assuming that this is a viable option it makes a lot of sense.

Q21, With regards to the application itself. I’ve been told that there is in fact a two part form, one being online and the other on paper.
Can I obtain both of them in paper form and work on them at home and/or with a qualified immigration adviser before applying or must they be done while submitting the paperwork?

Q22, With regards to Q10 (physicskate) reply:

“””
Only your entry clearance will be in the passport. Your renewal will be a BRP - which is a bit like a driving license or credit card.
“””

There are several questions that I would like to ask here…

• With regards to my passport and BRP card. If I hold both of these, can you explain whether I would need to always use the passport and BRP card together, or, for example, when traveling, would I just use my passport (as normal) or be expected to be carrying the BRP card as well?

• If at any point I should lose the passport or BRP card, is it a straightforward procedure to apply for replacements and if not what are the ramifications?

• Once I hold a visa-issued-passport and a BRP card, when traveling and returning to the UK, would I use the EU or non EU resident queue?

• After two and half years, when I apply to extend the visa, will I need to return to Israel to carry this out or would the process be completed online or in the UK
(this may very well by a silly question but I felt that with me already living in the UK for those 2.5 years, it seems logical that I would then apply for the second visa from within the UK)

• Is the BRP card issued to me automatically at some point in the process or do I need to apply for this separately? Also, I understand that the BRP card is a credit sized card which is used to confirm that I am who I say I am but could you explain in a little more detail the format of the card, i.e., does the card hold something like my fingerprints or being used as an extension of my passport?

• Is the BRP card something that I would be expected to permanently carry on my person at all times? Even if I was not traveling?

• Finally, could you explain in a nutshell what exactly the BRP card is intended for and exactly how and when I need to use it.

Q23, Assuming I get the visa and I move to the UK, I will then need to open a bank account and register myself in various places, will there be any limitations or extra fees or extra paper work that I need to know about in order to do any of these things?

Q25, With regards to the application itself, what format or presentation would be recommended?
Should I just “throw everything in a boxed folder”, or, should I separate everything into different folders, title them and maybe even bind them?
Also, is there a ‘size limit’ for the application?
I ask this to have some notion as to how many pictures, etc, should I include.

Therefore, could somebody explain the ideal form of application in terms of overall size, amount and type of photographs or anything else which would assist my application.

Further, I understand that I can pay an immigration adviser to put everything together before applying but I’m not sure whether I should create a presentable photo album and to what degree everything needs to be titled, etc.

Q26, With regards to pictures, we do have numerous pictures from different countries spanning the past 6 years but very few of them show a landmark to prove there whereabouts.
How important is it to state where they were taken and how do I go about proving it?

Q27, In Q1 I asked about the full process from first visa to citizenship. In reply, ‘Casa’ said that once I have the ILR visa I can then apply for citizenship, assuming I meet the standards.
What are the standards for citizenship?

Q29, Presently, I have not yet changed my status from single to married in Israel so it is not mentioned in my passport.
Does it make any difference?
The reason I ask is that Israel is a very “old fashioned” country.
I could not marry my wife in Israel because she is not Jewish. We had to get married in Cyprus.
Changing my status and registering our marriage in Israel is a huge hassle because of it. It will cost a great deal of money and will probably take months and months until it is fully registered.
I know from friends who went through the process that it could take well over a year.
Since I plan on moving to the UK and living in the UK, I was wondering whether any of it is necessary at all for my application since obviously I will live in the UK and not in Israel.
I hope this question is clear, it’s a bit difficult to explain it in full so I will conclude by asking whether it’s important, for the purpose of applying for the visa that I’m not registered as being married in Israel.

Q30, Once I get the initial visa for 2.5 years, are there any limitations on work?

Q31, This question has no barring as far as I know on my visa and BRP card but looking ahead if I am successful and wish to work in the UK, I understand that I would need a ‘National Insurance Number’. Would this be issued along with my first visa, second visa or finally when receiving my Permanent Leave to Remain?

This in turn raises the question of paying tax on any work I undertake.
Would there be any restrictions or things I need to do in order to work legally?

I ask this because I am unsure whether the first visa is in essence more like a “Green Card”, meaning, I can live and work in the UK but I’m not part of the country and will therefore not be expected to pay any Tax or is the first visa a form of “Probation Citizenship” which in return means that I have the ‘National Insurance Number’ and pay everything like any other citizen would and that this entire process is a form of checking that I kept an honest livelihood?

Again…
Many many thanks for taking the time and replying to my questions.
We really appreciate it.

C7D
Newly Registered

Post by C7D » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:20 am

Anyone?
Please... at least some =]

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:15 pm

C7D wrote:First, I would like to thank you for replying!
You have no idea how much we appreciate it and it really does help a great deal!
Thank you so much.

Further questions…

Q17, Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a ‘legally certified document’ and what does it entail?
It means someone who is in a correct position has stamped the document as a true copy of the original. This is normally done by a notary or a solicitor. There's a fee for this.

Q18, With regards to my wife’s passport, does it need to be included in my visa application or is a ‘legally certified copy’ enough?
We’re asking because it seems to us that with an unclear time frame regarding the application, taking my wife’s passport to Israel with me, when she might need it (traveling may even be part of her job) will introduce further complications.
A certified copy is acceptable

Q19, Where do I apply for the visa, when in Israel, is it in the British Consul in Tel Aviv?
Can't help here

Q20, With regards to ‘bedroom’ and ‘overcrowding’ expectations, what would qualify as each of those?
I can appreciate that a private bedroom is in essence a private bedroom but I’m not sure what “overcrowded” means.
At the moment, my wife is living with her parents in order to save money and help with her dad’s health problems. She has a double bedroom of her own but the living room and Spam as well as the shower are all shared.
We would like to know whether, worst case scenario, if she will not be able to find a flat to our liking, will this accommodation meet the requirements?
For the record, her parents have offered and would love to have us living with them.

I also want to add that assuming this is acceptable it makes life a lot easier in the sense that we could then look for flats together, move the furniture together and so on.
Assuming that this is a viable option it makes a lot of sense.
Over crowding definition: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ercrowding

Q21, With regards to the application itself. I’ve been told that there is in fact a two part form, one being online and the other on paper.
Can I obtain both of them in paper form and work on them at home and/or with a qualified immigration adviser before applying or must they be done while submitting the paperwork?
Spouse application form and appendix: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... form-vaf4a

However, if they require it to be submitted online (depends on location) then you'll need to do that - but appendix 2 is always paper as I understand it

Q22, With regards to Q10 (physicskate) reply:

“””
“””

There are several questions that I would like to ask here…

• With regards to my passport and BRP card. If I hold both of these, can you explain whether I would need to always use the passport and BRP card together, or, for example, when traveling, would I just use my passport (as normal) or be expected to be carrying the BRP card as well?
Both

• If at any point I should lose the passport or BRP card, is it a straightforward procedure to apply for replacements and if not what are the ramifications?
Relatively straightforward yes.

• Once I hold a visa-issued-passport and a BRP card, when traveling and returning to the UK, would I use the EU or non EU resident queue?
Non-EU

• After two and half years, when I apply to extend the visa, will I need to return to Israel to carry this out or would the process be completed online or in the UK
(this may very well by a silly question but I felt that with me already living in the UK for those 2.5 years, it seems logical that I would then apply for the second visa from within the UK)
You do it in the UK and can apply in person or by post, different costs for both - you do this by filling form FLR(M)

• Is the BRP card issued to me automatically at some point in the process or do I need to apply for this separately? Also, I understand that the BRP card is a credit sized card which is used to confirm that I am who I say I am but could you explain in a little more detail the format of the card, i.e., does the card hold something like my fingerprints or being used as an extension of my passport?
It's effectively an identity card with a copy of your fingerprints

• Is the BRP card something that I would be expected to permanently carry on my person at all times? Even if I was not traveling?
No

• Finally, could you explain in a nutshell what exactly the BRP card is intended for and exactly how and when I need to use it.
Google is your friend here - I just googled 'BRP UKBA' - try it

Q23, Assuming I get the visa and I move to the UK, I will then need to open a bank account and register myself in various places, will there be any limitations or extra fees or extra paper work that I need to know about in order to do any of these things?
Each bank has different requirements. Best to start where your wife has her bank account - each bank's policies are clearly published for the types of accounts.

Q25, With regards to the application itself, what format or presentation would be recommended?
Should I just “throw everything in a boxed folder”, or, should I separate everything into different folders, title them and maybe even bind them?
Also, is there a ‘size limit’ for the application?
I ask this to have some notion as to how many pictures, etc, should I include.

Therefore, could somebody explain the ideal form of application in terms of overall size, amount and type of photographs or anything else which would assist my application.

Further, I understand that I can pay an immigration adviser to put everything together before applying but I’m not sure whether I should create a presentable photo album and to what degree everything needs to be titled, etc.
You'll probably find any 'neat' filing you do will be removed when they accept it. As part of the cover letter - include an index of the enclosed documents.

Q26, With regards to pictures, we do have numerous pictures from different countries spanning the past 6 years but very few of them show a landmark to prove there whereabouts.
How important is it to state where they were taken and how do I go about proving it?
It's not about where but the fact you were together

Q27, In Q1 I asked about the full process from first visa to citizenship. In reply, ‘Casa’ said that once I have the ILR visa I can then apply for citizenship, assuming I meet the standards.
What are the standards for citizenship?
You're a long way off this - patience.

Q29, Presently, I have not yet changed my status from single to married in Israel so it is not mentioned in my passport.
Does it make any difference?
The reason I ask is that Israel is a very “old fashioned” country.
I could not marry my wife in Israel because she is not Jewish. We had to get married in Cyprus.
Changing my status and registering our marriage in Israel is a huge hassle because of it. It will cost a great deal of money and will probably take months and months until it is fully registered.
I know from friends who went through the process that it could take well over a year.
Since I plan on moving to the UK and living in the UK, I was wondering whether any of it is necessary at all for my application since obviously I will live in the UK and not in Israel.
I hope this question is clear, it’s a bit difficult to explain it in full so I will conclude by asking whether it’s important, for the purpose of applying for the visa that I’m not registered as being married in Israel.
As long as you're legally married - it doesn't matter.

Q30, Once I get the initial visa for 2.5 years, are there any limitations on work?
No

Q31, This question has no barring as far as I know on my visa and BRP card but looking ahead if I am successful and wish to work in the UK, I understand that I would need a ‘National Insurance Number’. Would this be issued along with my first visa, second visa or finally when receiving my Permanent Leave to Remain?
It's not issued alongside a visa - you apply for it separately once you're in the UK

This in turn raises the question of paying tax on any work I undertake.
Would there be any restrictions or things I need to do in order to work legally?
No - as long as you have the visa and the NI number - you're good

I ask this because I am unsure whether the first visa is in essence more like a “Green Card”, meaning, I can live and work in the UK but I’m not part of the country and will therefore not be expected to pay any Tax or is the first visa a form of “Probation Citizenship” which in return means that I have the ‘National Insurance Number’ and pay everything like any other citizen would and that this entire process is a form of checking that I kept an honest livelihood?
Oh no - you're expected to pay full taxes - just like every other person in the UK

Again…
Many many thanks for taking the time and replying to my questions.
We really appreciate it.
I will add that most of your questions here could have been answered with a quick google in the time you've spent waiting here. The UK government site is (while a nightmare to navigate) actually very informative on this stuff.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:49 am

It means someone who is in a correct position has stamped the document as a true copy of the original. This is normally done by a notary or a solicitor. There's a fee for this.

If you use a Commisioner of oaths there is a charge of £5 per copy the fee is set by government. A notary or solicitor can charge what they like, I've seen some charging £50 plus
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:42 pm

A Commissioner for oaths would be fine.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.