ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Soliciter Fee for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jonbrager
Newly Registered

Soliciter Fee for ILR

Post by jonbrager » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 pm

I am considering using a solcitor for my ILR application. Have been quoted £1580 for the solicitor plus £1483 for the premium application. This seems high. Can anyone tell me if this is a normal rate?

The reason I'm thinking about using a solicitor is I have a US criminal record with a DWIs, all of which occured more than 7 years ago. So in theory they are spent, but I still need to declare them on my application. Hence, I wanted to have a solicitor help me to enhance my chances of a successful application. But to be honest, I've personally sucessfully submitted 3 tier 1 visas for my wive and I plus her ILR and citizenship application. So I know how to get all the documents in order, etc. The solicitor would mainly be used for advice, and drafting the cover letter to maximize my chances.

Would really like your opinion on this matter. Thanks in advance.

PS: one more edit. the fee of 1580 includes 250 of VAT.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Soliciter Fee for ILR

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Solicitors do charge a lot I'm afraid. However, i doubt you need a solicitor. If you care to expand on the offence and the date and sentence you received,I'll let you know.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

HY-Trader
Newly Registered

Re: Soliciter Fee for ILR

Post by HY-Trader » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Amber,

I actually have a very similar situation and was going to make a new post but figure I would add to this one.

I also have some spent convictions and wanted to know if you or other posters think I should use a solicitor for help. It's embarrasing and shameful to admit, but I have 3 DWI convictions on my US criminal record. The last of which occured 8.5 years ago and the case was completely closed a little over 7 years ago (Jul-07). My sentance in all three convictions was a combination of heavy fines, loss of licence, probation and community service. For the most recent one I was given a 60 day (2 month) suspended sentence. And in all three circumstances there was no other crime committed, such as damange to property, etc. Let's just say I was young, dumb and unlucky while in university. Since then I've obviously matured, rarely drink, work very hard, got married, have a child on the way, pay a lot of taxes to HMRC, and have by all measures been a model citizen.

So the way I interpret the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, all of these convictions are now spent. But I'm concerned the the absolute number may still impact my chances of being granted ILR. Hence, I was wondering if hiring a solicitor to help draft the cover letter would help with my case.

Any comments or thoughts from you or the board would be hugely helpful.

Separately, my wife recent obtained her British citizenship, so another option would be do jump onto her visa as a spouse. But if I do that my clock starts over. But my main concern is not losing my visa status so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I had to do that becuase my criminal record makes ILR unlikely.

Thanks in advance for the feedback everyone. HY-Trader