ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

P60 Question - Immigration related

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

southernboy
Newly Registered

P60 Question - Immigration related

Post by southernboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello,

I have now lived in Ireland legally for over five years. I went to the Immigration officer this morning to register and get my first stamp 4. I get so frustrated :x ..every single time I go to register I always ask..."What do I need to bring with me next time?" And every time I show up to register, they ask me for something that was never previously mentioned that I should bring. Today, I was asked for my P60 even after I showed pay slips which told how much tax I was currently paying. If I had known that I needed my P60 then this would be no problem but it is now August, almost time to get a new P60...so I no longer have my P60 from last year. I went by and spoke with my employer this after noon. I work for a very small family business, there is only four full time workers..that is counting myself and two part time workers. I was told that they were not sure if they could give me the old P60 or not. They are going to ask their accountant and get back to me. My question is...what if they tell me that I can't get another P60? The immigration officer went ahead and registered me and took my old Registration Card and of course went a head and charged me the 300 Euro. She said that all of the Registration cards have to come from Dublin now and would take about 2 weeks. She said that in order to get my passport stamped and my new registration card, I would have to show her my P60. So my question is, what happens if I can't get another copy of my P60? If the immigration officer had told me last year when I registered and asked what I would need to bring for this year to have my P60, then I would have made sure to save it. I have never been asked for a P60 before so I never keep them.

Any advise on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

shaz112211

Re: P60 Question - Immigration related

Post by shaz112211 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

hello dear .. P60 ans P21 Report is almost the Same .... if u cant get P60 ... then straight away call Revenvue Tax office and ask them to Issue you P21 Balancing Statement . and they will issue you all ur Tax paid Statement in this country from last 4 years ( 4 seperate Letters) and immigration will have no Objection ....

southernboy
Newly Registered

Post by southernboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I will ring Revenue tomorrow and get these p21's ordered. My only concern is, the year before last, I was injured while on a holiday...I partically tore a legiment in my foot. I am a chef by profession so I was unable to work. Because of this fact, my total income and taxes reported are very low for one of the years as I was layed up for two months...but not on social warefare. Is the immigration officer going to care that my taxes and income were low one year? This happened outside of Ireland so I am not sure how I could get proof of the injury in the two weeks that I have to go back to the immigration officer for my registration card...the rest of the last four years are all fine.

See if she would have just told me about the P60 last year when I asked her what all I needed to bring with me for my Stamp 4 this year...I would not have to worry about all of this.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:22 pm

sorry to hear about your trouble southemboy , can i ask you was this immigration officer in Kildare ? it sounds like her alright . and why is she asking for a P60 i have never heard of this before to be honest . would you mind telling us on what basis are you applying to renew your stamp 4 ? are you on a working visa , or work permit ???

as the previous poster suggested P21 from revenue should do the same as a P60, unless this person wants to be fussy and awkward

i wish you the best of luck in getting a copy of your P60 , and get your passport stamped , but i have to say it again this is news to me that a P60 is required now for registration .

southernboy
Newly Registered

Post by southernboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:39 pm

No, this is not in Kildare..

I have never heard of this either. Last year when I registered I asked her "Next year, what do I need to bring for my stamp 4?" She said if I am at the same job, bring pay slips, if I want to change jobs, bring a written job offer on the companies letter head...that is all she said. Now sitting in her office this morning the P60 comes up for the first time...My first two employers in Ireland never even gave me P60's...I didn't even really know what they were when I first got one which is why I don't keep them.

I have lived in Ireland since 2008 on work permits. I applied in September of last year for Long Term Residency and still have not gotten it back either...I rang them and was told that they are awaiting an interdepartmental report...they told me the same thing in early June so needless to say I am very frustrated.

Also, I have just noticed something alarming!!!

I have Payee Anytime. I just logged on and saw that I could request the P21's through there...I was going through looking at my wages and taxes all the way back to 2010. In Both 2010 and 2011, it shows my my wage but shows taxes paid as zero.....why would this be? Surely if the company reported my wages to Revenue then they would have been taxes wouldn't they? My wages for those two years seem to be in order...so I am hoping this is just a system error or it is because they are old....if not then I am probably going to be screwed even though I personally have done nothing wrong.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:59 am

that's a good thing that you have the Payee online facility , you will need to request the p21 balancing statement for the previous year (2013) which should replace your p60 .
now , do all the previous tax years show a zero tax paid or just the one year ? for the year or years that shows a zero tax paid there could be the possibility that you did not earn enough money for that year because remember that you have tax credits which normally add up to between 65 and 89 euros per week , depending on your circumstances (married or not , children or not , have extra tax credits etc ... ) . so when you log online have a look at your tax credits certificate for the year in question , look at your yearly tax credits , then look on how much money you earned in during that employment year , multiply all your income by 20% then deduct the tax credit for the year from that 20% , the balance then should be your liability for tax for that tax year . ( example : if you earned say € 20,000 for the previous tax year x 20% = € 4000 this amount would be your PAYE tax liability , then deduct your total tax credits for the previous year say : € 3,300 = €700 tax liability for the year .

so if your income was less than the example i gave you then the tax liability would be less than the figure of € 700 and if your married then again this tax liability should be less than the example i gave you .

so gather all this information then we should be able to know if you were liable for any taxes for that said year , or if the accountant did make a mistake , also your payslips should indicate how much tax was being deducted from you every week , but please don't get confused between PAYE and the USC or PRSI ok? as these are separate to the PAYE tax .one last thing also just in case you may see in your payslips deduction of tax for a few weeks then in one week you got paid more money than usual , that might be a tax refund/ adjustment made by the accountant .
hope this helps you in figuring out why your tax paid was showing zero .

now your question was will this affect you or not , technically no because you did not intentionally underpaid taxes , however you will need to show that your employer /his accountant were deducting taxes from you every week and you need to prove that they did not refund you any taxes in the eyes of the law they should refund you that money or give it to the Revenue . having said that the revenue would pursue this with you first .

again let's take it one step at a time , gather all the information then we can tackle these issues one step at a time . i hope you kept your payslips for the relevant year??

southernboy
Newly Registered

Post by southernboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:23 am

Just two of the years shows Zero for taxes, 2010 and 2011, the rest shows me paying taxes. I was working for a different employer in 2010 but am almost certain that I was paying taxes there because when I first started, they took out emergency tax on me...I then got all that back in one lump sum...plus it was a big hotel with a payroll department so I would be hugely shocked that they didn't pay taxes....and again. If they reported my wages to Revenue but then didn't pay taxes on me....wouldn't Revenue catch it? I can already see this year that I have earned over 1,000 euro in Tax Credits. I have never really understood the tax system here and no one has ever explained it to me..that is the problem.

Plus, I have contacted the main Garda immigration office and have informed them that I was asked for a P60 since I nor anyone else seems to have been asked for this before, I asked them what else can I bring. I did this to bring light to the fact that I was asked for something that I don't think I should have been but without complaining. I have a friend who is a Garda and I spoke with him this morning...even he has never heard of an immigration officer asking for a P60.....but he doesn't work in immigration either.

P.S....

I just got two of the P21's delivered into my inbox at Payee Anytime, one for last year and one for the year before that....Even the one for last year isn't showing me paying much taxes compared to my wages....but the P21 is showing that I overpaid taxes and was refunded......so I didn't pay as much tax....I'll have to ask my employer about that because I never got a refund.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am

ok your main concern for now is what this officer is asking for , so i presume she is asking for last years p60 , go ahead and request the p21 for the 2013 tax year (do that online) .just save yourself the hassle .

as for those years that tax is not showing do not request a P21 balancing statement because you will receive a bill from the tax office for what ever tax you were liable for . until you get the time to sort that out later , by trying to find at least the last payslip from that hotel and see if there was PAYE tax deducted then take it from there .

yes the tax system can be complicated but easy if explained to you properly .

you mentioned the figure € 1000 tax credit that can't be your tax credit , it must be your tax paid so far , if you got that figure from your payslip . because your tax credit should be a weekly figure of between 65 up to 117 per week .

if you feel comfortable enough to tell me what your weekly wage before tax and what your weekly tax credit (get this from your payslip) or your tax credit certificate ) , i should be able to explain better for you .
one last thing , you said you have been working since 2008 ?? why have you not applied for citizenship ?? it's fast enough to get a decision these days , it's faster than getting permanent residency approved .you can apply for both at the same time you know ?

southernboy
Newly Registered

Post by southernboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:32 am

I don't mind telling you the answers to your quesetions..I just don't really want to post it on this board. ;)

I got the tax credit from the Payee anytime site...I could just be misreading it.

I have already ordered P21's for all for years...as I stated, my wage and taxes paid is extremely low one year because I got injured while on holiday and was laid up for two months so I was going to bring in all the P21's for the last four years just so it shows that I am being forthcoming and that I have nothing to hide and to show that the one year in question was a fluke.

Yes I was just reading it wrong I guess...as the taxes paid for this year has not been reported to Revenue yet. I got this from the main Payee Anytime page where it says: Gross Relief Due

But as you said, the important thing here is for me to get the stamp 4.

I was told opposite by my immigration officer. She advised that I could apply for citizenship and long term residency at the same time and that neither would interfere with each other. But she said that Long Term Residency would take longer, she said that Citizenship would likely take a year.....well here I am almost a year after applying for Long Term residency. I was also never sure If I should hire a lawyer or do all of this myself...so to answer your question, I was going to apply for Long Term Residency First then once I got that, apply for Citizenship. I was also told that applying for Irish Citizenship would also cause me to loose my native citizenship which I don't want to do...I would like to remain citizens of both.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:10 pm

of course i understand , if you still want me to explain it to you no probs you can pm me with the figures and i will do my best , but it looks like you are doing a good job so far in sorting out the tax issues , and of course showing the tax office that u r forthcoming is a good idea since you have an overpayment of tax for a certain year they can deduct that from whatever year there is an underpayment if any .

ok i am assuming you are a single person so :

if you earn up to € 630 per week you pay tax at 20% only and anything over that you would pay 41% on it .

so let's assume you earn € 500 per week x 20% = €100 PAYE tax liablility per week , then you look at your tax credits again i am assuming you a single person so may be about : €330 per year , that is about €63 per week .

now you take that € 100 tax liability - € 63 your tax credit for the week = € 37 tax to be paid to the taxman

if i were you i would have applied for citizenship at the same time , because people on this forum are reporting to have received a decision on their citizenship applications from 3 months to a year , but the department have a standard turnaround of 6 months , it all depends on your case , (if no criminal records or adverse attention to Garda and no court appearance for whatever reason other than family law ) you should get a decision within the six months time frame and may be even less than that .

as for your citizenship of your own home country i can understand you don't want to loose it , but just to clarify the Irish Government does not ask you to denounce your own citizenship , you can have a dual citizenship . unless the problem lies with your own country's legislations. even with that alot of people here come from countries where their Governments do not allow for a dual citizenship , but they still applied for irish ones and are ok , ( i don't know how that works but you can ask in here by mentioning your country of origin and people would be more that happy to help and advise you) .
Good Luck with your stamp4 because you will need it before you apply for Citizenship , and Good luck with your future Citizenship application when you decide to go for it .

southernboy
Newly Registered

Post by southernboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 am

adelmurray wrote:of course i understand , if you still want me to explain it to you no probs you can pm me with the figures and i will do my best , but it looks like you are doing a good job so far in sorting out the tax issues , and of course showing the tax office that u r forthcoming is a good idea since you have an overpayment of tax for a certain year they can deduct that from whatever year there is an underpayment if any .

ok i am assuming you are a single person so :

if you earn up to € 630 per week you pay tax at 20% only and anything over that you would pay 41% on it .

so let's assume you earn € 500 per week x 20% = €100 PAYE tax liablility per week , then you look at your tax credits again i am assuming you a single person so may be about : €330 per year , that is about €63 per week .

now you take that € 100 tax liability - € 63 your tax credit for the week = € 37 tax to be paid to the taxman

if i were you i would have applied for citizenship at the same time , because people on this forum are reporting to have received a decision on their citizenship applications from 3 months to a year , but the department have a standard turnaround of 6 months , it all depends on your case , (if no criminal records or adverse attention to Garda and no court appearance for whatever reason other than family law ) you should get a decision within the six months time frame and may be even less than that .

as for your citizenship of your own home country i can understand you don't want to loose it , but just to clarify the Irish Government does not ask you to denounce your own citizenship , you can have a dual citizenship . unless the problem lies with your own country's legislations. even with that alot of people here come from countries where their Governments do not allow for a dual citizenship , but they still applied for irish ones and are ok , ( i don't know how that works but you can ask in here by mentioning your country of origin and people would be more that happy to help and advise you) .
Good Luck with your stamp4 because you will need it before you apply for Citizenship , and Good luck with your future Citizenship application when you decide to go for it .
I tried to contact you via a PM but can't figure out how to do it. I have a tax question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 pm

you would need to be logged in to be able to PM someone .
anyway i have already sent you a PM so try to log in and you should see a message in your inbox , just click reply to that .

are u still having problems with this issue ??

southernboy
Newly Registered

Post by southernboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 pm

NO, I have my P21 from Revenue, the only problem I am having is getting my card. Last week I rang my immigration officer and my card had not yet arrived. She instructed me to wait until this week. This week I rang and she would only be in her office today...friday is our busiest day so I could not go today so I am going to try again monday...but again I have my P21 from Revenue so there shouldn't be any problems.

I am logged in but it tells me I don't have permission to view Private Messages!?!?!?

My question is...

I ordered all of my P21's from the last four years. The last two years, I have paid more taxes than I should have and was entitled to a refund...which I never claimed. My question is, Is it too late to claim these refunds and if not, how do I go about doing it? I am owed over 1,000 Euro in over paid taxes. Thanks for the help.

adelmurray

Post by adelmurray » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 am

southernboy wrote:NO, I have my P21 from Revenue, the only problem I am having is getting my card. Last week I rang my immigration officer and my card had not yet arrived. She instructed me to wait until this week. This week I rang and she would only be in her office today...friday is our busiest day so I could not go today so I am going to try again monday...but again I have my P21 from Revenue so there shouldn't be any problems.

I am logged in but it tells me I don't have permission to view Private Messages!?!?!?

My question is...

I ordered all of my P21's from the last four years. The last two years, I have paid more taxes than I should have and was entitled to a refund...which I never claimed. My question is, Is it too late to claim these refunds and if not, how do I go about doing it? I am owed over 1,000 Euro in over paid taxes. Thanks for the help.
no it is not too late to get that refunded , a cheque should have been issued automatically and attached to the P21 Balancing Statements , however may be the procedure have changed as it has been years since i dealt with the Tax Office in issues like this . but the procedure is still the same in the relation to how far back you can go to claim overpaid taxes , which is 4 years .
i also replied to your PM.

so give it a week or so and if you did not receive a cheque for the overpaid taxes , then give the tax office a call i think they can do that over the phone , if not they might ask you to write to them , but definitely you should receive a cheque for the owed amounts .

Good Luck !