ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I don't get Ireland's CTA with the UK ...

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Apparition

I don't get Ireland's CTA with the UK ...

Post by Apparition » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Irish/Brits don't need passports to travel between the nations, but ID's usually needed eg) driving license. But this doesn't prove nationality, so how do things work in reality without a passport? I'd guess if your license says you're UK/Irish born and you look/behave/speak as a native, they'd let you travel freely.

Else suspicion allows them to throw the rule book at you. Another factor is the UK treats flights from Ireland as domestic, Ireland doesn't treat UK flights as such; getting into Ireland may be a bit harder.

Thanks.

SelectMe

Re: I don't get Ireland's CTA with the UK ...

Post by SelectMe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Well, Its simple as you said, if you have driving licence which states born in Uk/Irl and have an Irish/Brit accent; one question is enough to find out.
Other naturalized Irish Citizens, I suppose, ll carry Certification of Naturalization, alongwith other photo ID such as DL.
A friend of mine who is Naturalized British Citizen was able to enter Ireland at Dublin Airport showing Naturalisation Cert from UK.

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:47 pm

SelectMe wrote:Well, Its simple as you said, if you have driving licence which states born in Uk/Irl and have an Irish/Brit accent; one question is enough to find out.
Other naturalized Irish Citizens, I suppose, ll carry Certification of Naturalization, alongwith other photo ID such as DL.
A friend of mine who is Naturalized British Citizen was able to enter Ireland at Dublin Airport showing Naturalisation Cert from UK.
Yes, but my main point was being Irish/UK born doesn't guarantee nationality. It's down to immigration officers and airline staff to believe you. It seems like the CTA acts as a beloved/native test. :roll:

bebo1901

Post by bebo1901 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:29 pm

its something that has to do with northern ireland, something political, that no British passport control should stand in the way of any Irish national travelling to the UK. for persons not born in Ireland or the UK or the EU, they need a passport to prove their citizenship, not certificate of naturalisation. any person born anywhere in the EU not just Ireland and the UK is allowed to travel freely within the EU, any person born in any country is a national and holds the citizenship of this country even if he is not, he is entitled for citizenship as a right, unlike naturalisation as a discretion from the minister.

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:47 pm

bebo1901 wrote:its something that has to do with northern ireland, something political, that no British passport control should stand in the way of any Irish national travelling to the UK. for persons not born in Ireland or the UK or the EU, they need a passport to prove their citizenship, not certificate of naturalisation. any person born anywhere in the EU not just Ireland and the UK is allowed to travel freely within the EU, any person born in any country is a national and holds the citizenship of this country even if he is not, he is entitled for citizenship as a right, unlike naturalisation as a discretion from the minister.
UK birth from 01/01/83 doesn't confer nationality, Irish birth from 01/01/2005 doesn't. Birth in most EU nations doesn't in the past few decades. Regardless, this is about UK/Ireland allowing it's citizens to travel via CTA with no passport (dubious for reasons I said). You say it's political between N.Ireland/Republic; maybe, but CTA applies to whole of UK/Ireland.

The reality appears to be, travelling between UK/Ireland without a passport is a race/native test. If your ID shows a name, place of birth, residence that align and you look/behave/speak as a native, officers/staff let you travel freely with no passport. A search shows many do this with no problem.

SelectMe

Post by SelectMe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Well, I always find it amusing. e.g. My son born here 5 years ago, was not entitled to be Irish, but only now he became Irish Citizen. he is living in Ireland since his birth, he only speaks English and knows about Dublin/ Ireland i.e. he does not know anything about our home country or language..He started going to school and learning English & Irish..

wondering, If, ever any minister tries to strip Irish Nationality from him as he is Naturalized Irish Citizen but not an Irish by birth. Anyhow he got Irish Passport after 5 years he born here and only after naturalization, Although his passport states born in Dublin, Ireland, He is a Naturalized Irish Citizen. Anyhow, I dnt think any Irish/UK immigration officer will ever doubt upon his nationality, regardless of his look.One simple sentence clears all!
but on the other hand, I suppose, I ll have to prove I m 'Irish Citizen' at airports all the times!

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 pm

SelectMe wrote:Well, I always find it amusing. e.g. My son born here 5 years ago, was not entitled to be Irish, but only now he became Irish Citizen. he is living in Ireland since his birth, he only speaks English and knows about Dublin/ Ireland i.e. he does not know anything about our home country or language..He started going to school and learning English & Irish..

wondering, If, ever any minister tries to strip Irish Nationality from him as he is Naturalized Irish Citizen but not an Irish by birth. Anyhow he got Irish Passport after 5 years he born here and only after naturalization, Although his passport states born in Dublin, Ireland, He is a Naturalized Irish Citizen. Anyhow, I dnt think any Irish/UK immigration officer will ever doubt upon his nationality, regardless of his look.One simple sentence clears all!
but on the other hand, I suppose, I ll have to prove I m 'Irish Citizen' at airports all the times!
Yes, travel between UK/Ireland with no passport and eligibility to work are very similar; both act as race/native tests. Those born in UK/Ireland, with a native name/look/behavior/dialect are rarely asked to prove nationality or eligibility to work.

e.g.) a blonde blue eyed white girl called Sophie Adams born in England, will rarely be quizzed on her British nationality or eligibility to work, by immigration officers, airport staff and employers.