ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization through Irish Associations

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

immi.q
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalization through Irish Associations

Post by immi.q » Tue May 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi Adeel,
That is my question?that are we eligible to apply based on our irish citizen child under irish association law.
Do you know of any body who applied for naturalisation based on irish child and was succeded?

adeel.azmat
Newly Registered

Post by adeel.azmat » Tue May 27, 2014 4:54 pm

I know of now one unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will know.

immi.q
Newly Registered

Post by immi.q » Tue May 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Any body on board?????? please help resolve our query.please

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi Immi,

Did you apply based on your Irish daughter? if so could you share how it went and if it was accepted or not?

Thanks

zmac
Newly Registered

Post by zmac » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

Can anyone help me with my situation? Reading the forums, I only know of one member which has a similar case to mine but I don't think he/she will be reading this immediately as they last logged in two months ago. Anyway, hear me out (thanks!)

I came here as a dependent of my mother (now a naturalised Irish citizen) in 2006 initially on a Join Parent visa. My first GNIB stamp was Stamp 3. From then on, I went to school and university, I was given Stamp 2A and Stamp 2's (basically from 2007 to 2012, my graduation year) We wrote a letter in 2013 to the Minister to request changing to Stamp 4 as my mother was naturalised (It was granted, and expiring in November 2014). I have been living here for more than 8 years now and the thought that I have to wait for another few years (which may not even be guaranteed) to accumulate my Stamp 4 reckonable residence in order to apply for citizenship depresses me! I know for those who entered the State as dependents initially and were then given Stamp 2's when they went to school were allowed to apply and got citizenship as those Stamps were counted, tho only thing is you have to be under 23/24 years old at the time of application. I completely missed this memo (am 26 now).

Anyway, I contacted the Citizenship department and was told to apply through Irish Association grounds and explain my situation. Has anybody done this? I asked the person about the Residency calculator (which is mandatory) and the fact that it will show '0 days' for my Stamp 2's but was advised to complete it anyway and apply. I don't want to waste 175 euros though, is this worth the risk? How am I to say 'YES' to the question on whether the Residency checker deemed me eligible to apply??? OR maybe the Department isn't as rigid as I perceive them to be and not throw my application immediately after seeing my residency checker results??

bebo1901

Post by bebo1901 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Stamp2 or 2a i think is for students and is not reckonable, dependants get stamp 3 or 4, maybe it was a mistake from GNIB that they gave you stamp 2, you should check with them first.
you should have at least 3 years rechonnable residence before applying.
but anyway for Irish Associations the minister can waive any or all of the conditions so you could apply and pray....
how many years on stamp 3 or 4 do you have in total?

zmac
Newly Registered

Post by zmac » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi ,thanks for responding. I will have 1 year and 10 months on Stamp 4 by November (its expiry). I entered as a dependent (Stamp 3) to join my family here (my mother who was Stamp 4 then, but naturalised Irish now) and not to be a student primarily, but through technicality, they gave me Stamp 2 for the years I studied. I don't think they made a mistake, it's just that it is not a straightforward case . They do count Stamp 2's as reckonable ONLY IF you entered as a dependent ('Join Family visa') and NOT to be a foreign student and you're under 24 years of age on the date of application. I was advised by the INIS through e-mail to fill the residency checker and apply through Irish association. I just hope that they read my explanation on Question 12 section of the form before throwing it out! :-/

bebo1901

Post by bebo1901 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 am

These are the stamps categories, stamp 2/2a are for students only and not reckon.
http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Stamps
if you came to ireland as a dependant and they issued u stamp3 then stamp 2 then there must be a mistake, you should consult the immigration at burgh quay. if you can change all your previous stamps to 3 and 4 then u r grand.
but any how, you can apply for naturalisation at anytime. goodluck mate :)

queenoftoast
Newly Registered

Post by queenoftoast » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but wonder if anyone could help me with some advice ?

I was born in England but my family moved to Ireland in 1979 when I was a baby . We lived in Ireland for the next ten years continuously and only left due to the economy and my father losing his job and being offered one in England . I never had an Irish passport at the time as I was a child and back then children were added to their parents passports, so I was on my Dad's , which is a British one and my mother's , which is also a British one .

From my perspective my identity is Irish . My formative years were spent in Ireland, I was aught Irish , all of my friends were Irish, my schools were Irish and all of my associations were Irish .

I have not lived back in Ireland since that time although am across regularly as all of my friends and my godmother's are still close .

I have always despaired of the fact I didn't get my citizenship formalised in anyway and what I want to know..despite it being a long shot ..is is there any way that it could be ? Or would I have to move back to start the process ?

My grandparents aren't an option in terms of citizenship as they are Welsh , the only one I am unsure of is my mother's father - he and my grandmother divorced many year ago and he disappeared out of our lives - but I am confident he was Scottish not Irish ..so I don't have any options there :-(

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Unfortunately you will need to be resident in Ireland and then apply for naturalisation on the basis of Irish Associations.

amison79

Post by amison79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 pm

@immi.q

i thnk ths shud answer ur query

The Minister for Justice and Equality has power to waive one or more of the conditions for naturalisation in the following circumstances:

If you are of Irish descent or of Irish associations or are a parent or guardian applying on behalf of a minor child of Irish descent or Irish associations
If you have an entitlement to Irish citizenship if you were born on the island of Ireland
If you are a naturalised parent applying on behalf of a minor child
If you are the spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen or a naturalised person
If you have been resident abroad in the public service
If you are recognised as a refugee (under the 1951 Geneva Convention relating to the Status of Refugees) or a stateless person (under the 1954 UN Convention regarding Stateless Persons).

Rio29

Re:

Post by Rio29 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Guys anyone have an idea if anybody received yet any updates for who applied in September 2014

MsGrace
Newly Registered

Post by MsGrace » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello everyone,

After reading all the post on this thread its kinda givin me hope in my current situation..

I lived in ireland for over 5 years continously but moved after that so my GNiB wasnt renewed then. I am also a non eea parent of an irish child to an irish citizen. So half irish. Will i be able to apply for my citizenship based on "Irish Associations" as my child is Irish and i have lived in ireland for 5 years straight before? Will that be considered as reckonable residence? Could i still use that 5 years reckonable residence in behalf of applying for my citizenship under "irish associations?"

Thanks in advance.

omila250

Post by omila250 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:59 am

Hi,

Can someone tell me please if I can apply for Irish Citizenship based on the child being Irish? His father is Irish so he got his Irish passport too. I am EU citizen and wonder what is the best way to get Irish citizenship? Based on 5 years residency or based on Irish child.
Thanks in advance.