ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in Ireland non Eu married with spanish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

paola2885
Newly Registered

Working in Ireland non Eu married with spanish citizen

Post by paola2885 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi all,

My situation is the following, I have been working and living for the last 5 years in Barcelona, Spain.

I was born in Costa Rica and I have been married with a spanish citizen, for the last 5 years, as a result of this marriage and because I have been legally living in Spain through all this years, I now have a permanent residence card of a family member of a EU citizen, (for 10 years and will automatically renew after this time).

The thing is that I would like go to Ireland to work, my spanish husband is currently unemployed here in Spain, so for what I read if i want to apply for a residence card in Ireland, he needs to use the treaty right law but as he is not working we are unable to used it, is this correct? Also he needs to be with me in Ireland all the time for this?

Also, as per my understanding, i cannot go alone to live in Ireland ( he is not sure he wants to join me right now) also if I want to go alone, I need to have a job offer in order to get a work permit, Is that right? How can i get a job offer from someone who knows I'm unable to work in their country? How does this work?how can I prove I have a job offer?

Also and just for my information if i got divorce but i can proof the time we spent together that would grant my any rights? does my spanish permanent residence card help me with anything?

I have the opportunity to apply for a job in southern Ireland and I believe they can consider me because of my skills, but Im afraid that if they know about my situation (non EU) they would disregard my application as they would need to request a work permit for me and I guess that will cost them money... Not sure how this works in Ireland...

For what i have been reading its seems Ireland is different from others EU countries so Im little afraid there is no way for me to go there...all the help would be greatly appreciated it. cheers

ireland.own
Newly Registered

Re: Working in Ireland non Eu married with spanish citizen

Post by ireland.own » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:28 am

Hi,

Here are my understandings regarding your case, first of all to come to Ireland you do not need to apply for work permit from Spain or look for Job offer letter because being Costa Rican national you can enter and stay in Ireland visa free(for three month). In this case you can come alone or along your husband(better option). Second thing when you will be in Ireland you will have to register yourself with Garda national bureau(Irish Immigration Services) within three months as Student(go for english course) it will be cheap and will get you a year visa so you and your husband can look for job because to apply for residency being a EU national spouse your EU national husband will have to fulfil EU Treaty Rights conditions which means he has to be involved in any activity here(Work, Study etc.. ) otherwise he has no rights here so not you. but once he get a job apply for residency as being EU Spouse and you will get 5 years residency stamp to work full time here. i hope it helped you also get help from here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... y%20Rights. Good luck

(Please note this is my personnel opinion and i will suggest you to get legal help before you do want to come to Ireland)

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:23 pm

In order for you to benefit from EU Treaty Rights, your husband needs to come to Ireland with you and either work or become a student.

If you travel to Ireland on your own your rights will be the same as any non EU citizen - i.e. you will need to seek a work permit to start employment and stay in the country for more than a few weeks.

AP_MAN
Newly Registered

Post by AP_MAN » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:22 am

** sorry wrong thread

paola2885
Newly Registered

Post by paola2885 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Ireland.own and Jeupsy, thanks a lot for the information :)

Unfortunately I cannot afford not to work, and I dont want to depend on someone else´s work, kind of weird that things cannot be easier if Im able to find a job myself, but I understand thats it as a NON EU citizen. :(

so i guess there is no possibility for me to go to Ireland to work, right now, maybe in the future, I hope.

Thanks!