ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can someone apply for 20 year rule if been in prison?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jammy101
Newly Registered

Can someone apply for 20 year rule if been in prison?

Post by jammy101 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi I do freelance interpreting and this post is on behalf of a client.
Situation is that my client has been here for nearly 20 years now as a over stayer and the person wants to apply for 20 year rule but the person has been in prison in UK before for about 6 months but got released and never reported back to whoever it was. So can this person application become successful? thank you

Obie
Ireland

Re: Can someone apply for 20 year rule if been in prison?

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Time spent in prison will not be counted. But a person from prison can indeed apply
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm

An application can be refused on grounds of suitability, depending what the offence was? Does the client have a partner or any children here?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

jammy101
Newly Registered

Post by jammy101 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Amber wrote:An application can be refused on grounds of suitability, depending what the offence was? Does the client have a partner or any children here?
Hi, well I think it was some kind of fraud and no children, I think the partner is over stayer as well. Would it make any difference if my client had a legal partner or children?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes, having a partner who was British, settled, a refugee or HP or a British child or a child here for 7 or more years could engage Article 8 of the convention and outweigh a suitability issue.

See Part 9 of the rules for suitability issues with leave to remain applications - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... les-part-9
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm

A 20 years residence could also outweigh public interest in refusing under Article 8, depending on whether the person has little or no ties with their home country.

jammy101
Newly Registered

Post by jammy101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:05 am

Obie wrote:A 20 years residence could also outweigh public interest in refusing under Article 8, depending on whether the person has little or no ties with their home country.
Sorry but I dont really understand that sentence?

riz1986

Post by riz1986 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 am

Well hw long he's gonna be in prison nw? if its more than 12 months den he would be deported automatically !

jammy101
Newly Registered

Post by jammy101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

The person not in prison now, the person was in prison a few years ago but got released.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm

If the person has been in the UK for 20 or more years they may have a route to leave however it would depend on their criminality and its nature.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 pm

jammy101 wrote:The person not in prison now, the person was in prison a few years ago but got released.
If excluding the prison time he has lived here for 20 years, then that helps, but not the end of the matter.

In cases like this , it is difficult to see how the requirement of S-LTR 1.2-2.3 and 3.1 will be met.

Even Paragraph 399A makes life extremely hard for many people.

It may well be the case that in the end this person may not qualify for anything.