ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PPS Application Changed?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tastylentils

PPS Application Changed?

Post by tastylentils » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 am

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I went down to the local social welfare number armed with my letting agreement and various other proofs to get my pps number. To my surprise the clerk told me that the system has changed and pps numbers are no longer issued unless there is a job offer. A letter from an employer was required. Despite not being able to assist she also wanted to have a look at my marriage certificate, is that really necessary?

I'm a bit confused by this because I've haven't seen this requirement online. The whole interview left me a bit on edge to be honest.

I would be grateful if someone could clarify the situation for me.

Thanks.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Re: PPS Application Changed?

Post by CalvinKlien » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:51 am

It's bit strange what if someone is on Stamp 3 on join spouse / join parents visa and are not allowed to work so how can they get a job offer.

Well It's Ireland you can expect any thing and every thing. God Bless the civil service... One man show can introduce a new law...

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:56 am

That makes no sense.

People still need PPSN numbers to sign on to Social Welfare.

Also babies are assigned PPSN number when they are born.

This doesn't make sense that they are only assigning PPSN numbers to people who have job offers.

I would ask to speak to a supervisor about this

thepiratequeen

Post by thepiratequeen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 am

Also retired folk....landlords need pps number, so this would impact many people (tax payers, economy boosting retired people.) Doesn't make sense at all, at all.

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 am

Well I thought it was strange. I googled further to see if I missed anything but none of the websites say anything about this. Citizen advice ie makes no mention and even the official government website welfare.ie says proof of address and id is sufficient. I've worrying about this.

I'll go back down there today and ask for the requirements in writing or ask to speak to a supervisor. Let you guys know how i get on later.

amison79

Post by amison79 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 am

it is strange. pps is somethng anybody and evrybody has to get done once thy come in this country. weathr u hav job or not.

i am sure ths guy wud b new, coz u sometimes come across new people in d department who give their own views. thts wat happens in GNIB office as well. whoever is sitting on the counter, thy giv their own opinion.

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 am

Ok just returned from the social welfare office, and again no luck. I spoke to a different person and they were quite adamant that an employer letter was required. He said that the new system was introduced in January because they were creating pps numbers that were not being used. The clerk said that landlords no longer needed to ask for a pps number.

I asked for the information in writing and he gave me an offical letter headed document reproduced below:

"I refer to your application for a PPS number. The documents ticked below are required so that PPSN application can be processed. Please return the following documents within 14 days of your PPSN application will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.

If the following Identiry documents are required, please return in person within 14 days:

( ) Primary form of ID, i.e._________________________________________

( ) Original Birth Certificate for your child:__________________________________

If the following documents are required, you may return them by post within 14 days

Evidence of Address in Ireland:

One of the following ORIGINAL documents is required proving your current address:
( )

* Original Utility Bill - not more than 3 months old and also letter written by the bill payer confirming you reside at the address.

* Original Financial Statement/Bank Statement - not more than 3 months old;

* Original verified Letter from Employer on official headed paper;

* Original Property Lease or Tenancy Agreement - not more than 3 months old;

All above documentation must be original and not more than 3 months old.

( ) Letter from school stating your child is currently attending as a pupil/student.

( ) Letter from Doctor stating your child is registered with the practice.

( ) Employer letter or employment contract, confirming your employment.

(other) ____________________________________________________________

Everything seems above aboard as far as I can see. The question for me is where does this leave me with regard to my job search? Having rented a place for 6 months signed up to utilities etc, if I'm denied work because of this them I'm going to find myself in some difficulty.

amison79

Post by amison79 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 pm

@tastylentils

this is Ireland my friend. anythng is possible. keep lookng for job. I am sure with ths new rule in place, even the employers wud be aware tht after January this year, thy dont need to look in for PPSN to recruit. and tht u have official letter from Dept, u can show the recruiters.

Gud luck

SelectMe

Post by SelectMe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:41 pm

I think it says "One of the following" means you need one, but all.
From my experience, mostly employers asks for PPS No. from a Non-National, Some even dnt know what Work Permit is? 'They' think once you have PPS No. you can work!
Now lease part is really joke i.e. not more than 3 months old! What if lease was signed 5 months ago of 1 year duration. Would it be invalid in Welfare office's view, though it is a valid legal document, bearing validity of another 7 months!