ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 General Student to Tier 5 YMS

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

honeydew
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 General Student to Tier 5 YMS

Post by honeydew » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm a Canadian citizen studying in the UK on a Tier 4 General Student visa, which is valid until January 2015. I've been offered a job in the UK starting mid-October 2014, so I'm in Canada at the moment to make my application for the Tier 5 YMS visa, and I'd like to request a start date of mid-October 2014 so I can make full use of the two years on that visa. However, I haven't yet finished up my degree in the UK (I'm writing up my thesis, that's why I'm able to do so from Canada over the summer), and I would like to return to the UK at the end of September 2014 in order to submit my thesis.

My question is this: Does my Tier 4 visa remain valid until the start date of the Tier 5 visa? That is, assuming I get my requested start date of mid-October 2014 for the Tier 5 visa, will I still be able to return to the UK on the Tier 4 visa around the end of September 2014 in order to submit my thesis, assuming I exit the UK and re-enter on my new Tier 5 visa on or after the start date of that visa?

What I have been told is that my Tier 4 visa remains valid until the outcome of the Tier 5 application is received, and common sense suggests that the Tier 4 visa should remain valid until the start date of the Tier 5 visa, but I would like to find some official rule that confirms or disproves this before making any moves. Thanks!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Switching from Tier 4 General Student to Tier 5 YMS

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:57 am

Once you apply for your Tier5 YMS it will automatically cancel your existing tier 4 leave (once Tier5 visa granted)
You can not start tier 5 leave in country it must commence on entry. So if you apply for tier 5 you can only come to the UK on the commencement of the tier5 date.