ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel:Non EU passport + Irish certificate of naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Beachboy

Travel:Non EU passport + Irish certificate of naturalization

Post by Beachboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:11 am

Hello,

Did anyone travel with their non EU passport which contains an expired visa and a valid GNIB stamp 6 (Without a GNIB card), together with Irish certificate of naturalization on order to prove that the person can travel with Irish visa?

I'm asking this question because I might have to travel shortly after the ceremony and would like to know how to convince the airline staff on my way back to Ireland that I don't need an Irish visa and as I'm an Irish citizen.

Any similar experience or thoughts?

Thanks a lot

Beachboy

Re: Travel:Non EU passport + Irish certificate of naturaliza

Post by Beachboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 am

Any thoughts/experiences regarding this?

annemarie
Newly Registered

Post by annemarie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 am

Hi,

I was able to travel with a valid visa, no GNIB card and an approval letter two days ago. I went to INIS and renewed my visa and then sent my GNIB card. I don't think you'll be able to travel with an expired visa (no Airline will allow you to board the plane back to Ireland in your country of destination).

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:01 am

annemarie wrote:Hi,

I was able to travel with a valid visa, no GNIB card and an approval letter two days ago. I went to INIS and renewed my visa and then sent my GNIB card. I don't think you'll be able to travel with an expired visa (no Airline will allow you to board the plane back to Ireland in your country of destination).
Even when showing the original certificate of naturalization proving that I'm Irish?

bundle

Post by bundle » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:17 am

you need either a valid re entry visa or your irish passport or an approved ID. if you try with the others you might find yourself in a trouble. that certificate is not for travelling or not an ID.

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:40 am

bundle wrote:you need either a valid re entry visa or your irish passport or an approved ID. if you try with the others you might find yourself in a trouble. that certificate is not for travelling or not an ID.
I see your point, but it will be the certificate + a valid non Irish passport which can be seen as a form of ID.

AP_MAN
Newly Registered

Post by AP_MAN » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 am

certificate is not enough, until you get your Irish passport, you need a valid VISA to re-enter the state, unfortunately there is no other way around.
Beachboy wrote:
bundle wrote:you need either a valid re entry visa or your irish passport or an approved ID. if you try with the others you might find yourself in a trouble. that certificate is not for travelling or not an ID.
I see your point, but it will be the certificate + a valid non Irish passport which can be seen as a form of ID.

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks guys for the feedback!

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 pm

In my view as long as you have a certificate of naturalisation, I don't see how the border control officer can refuse you. It is an obvious proof that you are an Irish citizen - and as an citizen you don't require any document to enter your own country as long as their is no doubt about your identity!

As others have mentioned you might run into issue to board the plane though. But if the guys at your departure airport are competent enough, they have a 24h contact number to get in touch with Irish authorities who can verify whether or not you are a citizen and whether they will let you enter Ireland.

I would personally avoid travelling unless really necessary to save the trouble, but in case of an emergency I would go ahead.

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:17 pm

jeupsy wrote:In my view as long as you have a certificate of naturalisation, I don't see how the border control officer can refuse you. It is an obvious proof that you are an Irish citizen - and as an citizen you don't require any document to enter your own country as long as their is no doubt about your identity!

As others have mentioned you might run into issue to board the plane though. But if the guys at your departure airport are competent enough, they have a 24h contact number to get in touch with Irish authorities who can verify whether or not you are a citizen and whether they will let you enter Ireland.

I would personally avoid travelling unless really necessary to save the trouble, but in case of an emergency I would go ahead.
That makes a lot of sense, especially the part that Irish citizens don't need a passport to enter the country, and a proof of citizenship will suffice.

I asked Ryanair (as i will be traveling with them) and they said that the ryanair staff will accept the certificate of naturalization in lieu of an Irish visa, but i guess it will depend on the person I'll deal with.

I might end up changing my flight and applying for the Irish passport before traveling just to avoid any potential problem.

Thanks!

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:39 pm

No worries, all the best for your travel!

And I was thinking, what are the Irish border control going to you if they don't want to let you in with your naturalisation certificate? Deport you to your country? :-) (Ireland!)

Btw it was a different situation but my partner who is a visa required national has entered Ireland without visa or GNIB card in the past. She holds a Stamp 4 EUFam so using her GNIB card she can travel visa-free to Europe and back to Ireland, but her wallet with the GNIB card inside was stolen during our holiday. The staff at the check-in counter in Sweden issued our boarding passes but held them and sent us to the airport service desk for approval. The guy at the service desk kept us waiting for a while but was very professional and polite, and after a while he came back and said he was able to get confirmation from Irish authorities than my partner is allowed to enter Ireland just with her non-EU passport and no visa; and he sent us back to his college to collect the boarding pass. No issue to go through border control in Dublin, they just typed her details in the computer which confirmed she is allowed to enter the country and they let her through.

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

When you say She didn't have a visa on Her passport, did you mean that She didn't have a an Irish visa or Schengen visa?

Thanks a lot as this will potentially save me a lot of money and time involved in rebooking my flights.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:55 pm

She neither had an Irish visa nor a Shenghen visa (a GNIB card with stamp 4 EUFam exempts holder from having an Irish re-entry visa and gives visa free access to the moth EU countries when traveling with the EU family member).

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing

Post by rachellynn1972 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:09 am

You need a valid passport. While e-passports are commonly used now, they are not a necessity to enter Ireland. Irish citizens and member of the common travel area countries do not require a passport to enter Ireland, but carriers by air or sea require some form of identification with a photograph, usually either a passport or driving license with photo..
The problem here is the carrier by air, you said your visa has expired then on the passport of your origin country, you don’t have right to be in Ireland on an expired visa until it is renew, so the carrier may refused to carry you even with your naturalization certificate.

In case you were lucky and the carrier allows you to travel back to Ireland, the airline carrier will registered you as only a national of the country passport you presented to them when booking your flight and the information will be pass to the Irish port immigration controller. On arrival they are expecting to see a national of that country not an Irish.
If lucky you talk your way through with the immigration officer that you are an Irish by your Naturalization certificate and he/she allows you in which is a must. Your origin country passport information will be mark and noted as an illegal entrant that do not have right to be in the country, this is their requirement, which I think its very bad and when ever you are travelling back to your origin country, the immigration check will show the passport holder is an illegal immigrant even though you are an Irish.

The best way for a dual nationality to travel is:

For Example:  Dual Citizen of     Turkey / Irish

Leaving Ireland to Turkish:

Present your Turkish Passport to check in at the airline check in desk, when you get to immigration point, present your Irish passport, immigration Officers don’t care about where you are going they only care if you have been living in the country legally. When you get to Turkey, present your Turkish passport which show you are entering Turkey as a Turkish national which gave you right to do anything in Turkey as a Turkish.
The flight records passed to Turkey immigration port entry will show you are a Turkish

Leaving Turkey to Ireland:

Present your Irish Passport to check in at the airline check in desk, when you get to immigration point, present your Turkish passport, immigration Officers don’t care about where you are going they only care if you have been living in the country legally. When you get to Ireland, present your Irish passport which show you are entering Ireland as an Irish national which gave you right to do anything in Ireland as an Irish.
The flight records passed to Irish immigration port entry will show you are an Irish

Note: Always use a passport that allows you to be in the destination country when booking an Airline because the information is passed to the receiving country immigration port of entry.

I cant advice you on what to do but my opinion might count.
beloved is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, justify the different treatment of those people, both socially and legally.

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Rachel for sharing your opinion!