ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

toad
Newly Registered

Child born overseas

Post by toad » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 am

Hi,

I am recently naturalised British. My wife has a South Korean passport and has had ILR for past 18 months. She does not want to get BC because then she will have to give up her Korean passport, so she will just stay on ILR. (South Korea normally does not allow dual citizenship)

She is pregnant and wants to have the child in Korea. When the baby is born in Korea, he/she will have Korean citizenship automatically.

How do I bring him/her to the UK? By the way, Korea does allow dual citizenship if the baby is born into it (that is, the parents are of two different nationalities or the baby was born overseas to Korean parent(s) ).

Here are two options I can think of:
1. Apply for a UK visa as a dependent to a UK citizen (with Korean passport). Naturalise him/her in the UK later.
2. Apply for the UK passport in Korea, based on "Citizenship by descent" (so ends up with both Korean and UK passport immediately)

No 2 seems to be the natural choice, however I am a little concerned that he/she will not be able to pass on the UK citizenship to his/her child, if his/her child is born outside the UK (since anyone who attained the UK citizenship by descent cannot pass on the citizenship to one's child)

I would appreciate your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Child born overseas

Post by Amber » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:40 am

Either a British Passport or CoE.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 pm

1. is impossible, as a British child cannot apply for leave nor naturalise.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

toad
Newly Registered

Post by toad » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi Amber, Vinny,

Thanks for your reply. I have additional questions.

When you say either a British passport or CoE, I presume you mean
1. Either claim British citizenship by descent while in Korea and get British passport at the British Embassy in South Korea
2. or get Korean passport only and then get CoE at the British Embassy in South Korea, and enter the UK with the Korean passport

Right?

If I take the no 2 route, can I get the baby British citizenship after he/she enters the UK?

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 pm

The baby is British so you don't get it, a passport is not proof of Nationality.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

toad
Newly Registered

Post by toad » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:07 pm

I think I finally realised what my misunderstanding was.

If the child is born outside the UK to a British parent (or parents), the child is automatically "British by descent", and there is no way to give him/her "British otherwise than by descent" status. Is that right?

I was hoping to give my child (who will be born next year) the "British citizenship otherwise than by descent" status (so that he can pass on the British Citizenship to his own child if he has the baby outside the UK), but it seems that there is no way to do this.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Yes.