ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How much of the 200k can be invested in a house?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

missmemelis
Newly Registered

How much of the 200k can be invested in a house?

Post by missmemelis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello,

I note from the guidelines that property investment is not allowed but that if you buy a home and part of it is used to operate the business, then a portion can count toward the 200k. Does anyone know more about this? If I buy a house and devote 1/3 of it to operating my business, does 1/3 of the purchase price count towards the 200k investment?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SGA
Newly Registered

Re: How much of the 200k can be invested in a house?

Post by SGA » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:02 pm

missmemelis wrote:Hello,

I note from the guidelines that property investment is not allowed but that if you buy a home and part of it is used to operate the business, then a portion can count toward the 200k. Does anyone know more about this? If I buy a house and devote 1/3 of it to operating my business, does 1/3 of the purchase price count towards the 200k investment?

I surely dont know, but I have the same question, begging as well

thumb up!

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 am

guide contains all the information

helpingperson
BANNED

Post by helpingperson » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:05 pm

missmemelis wrote:Hello,

Anyone any comments on this please?

AndreyM
Newly Registered

Post by AndreyM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I have same question.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:31 am

I think you guys need to check with HMRC that what part of the house can be used as office/work.

I think rules only allow 20-33% (i dont know the exact number) of the house to be used for business purpose.

As per your local council guideline, the main use of property should be home not office/work. Because if you use your house mainly for business purpose then it needs to be appropriately licensed by council. Which sometimes is hard to get if you live in residential area.

helpingperson
BANNED

Post by helpingperson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm

rizwan567 wrote:I think you guys need to check with HMRC that what part of the house can be used as office/work.

I think rules only allow 20-33% (i dont know the exact number) of the house to be used for business purpose.

As per your local council guideline, the main use of property should be home not office/work. Because if you use your house mainly for business purpose then it needs to be appropriately licensed by council. Which sometimes is hard to get if you live in residential area.
Thank you Rizwan.

If anyone else has more information, please share it here. It will be helpful for all entrepreneurs.

Ent813
Newly Registered

Post by Ent813 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Thank you Rizwan567, This is useful information. I do agree portion of investment in home can definitely be considered as valid investment Why? Because the policy guidance of Tier 1 (E) allows it and clearly mentions it.

Darvesh
Member of Standing

Post by Darvesh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:22 pm

if u buy a premises which has commercial and residential parts then u need to get a surveyor to evaluate that residential part and deduct that money from total cost of premises.

if u buy property on ur name as residential then it wont count towards investment. u may let part of ur residential to be used for business then ur business may pay rent for that part house and this rent will be counted towards as expenditure hence investment.

plz wait for more expert advice.

ishfaqsangra
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ishfaqsangra » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:59 am

they are expecting commercial property and then deduct the price if any part is being used for living.
buying a house and then claim investment as a part I do not think they will consider so buy commercial property not residential thats what I think