ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help US gal und Austrian guy in Love!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

HerzundSeele
Newly Registered

Please help US gal und Austrian guy in Love!

Post by HerzundSeele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:46 pm

I graduated from college in May 2007. My Junior year, I spent studying abroad in Munich, Germany where I met my Austrian boyfriend. We were apart from the time I left Germany in August 2006 until April 2007 when he came here to live with me and attend community college here.

He has recently stopped going to classes. You have to stay in school 3 consecutive semesters before you can take a break. He did really well his first semester. I think he would like to stay in school but has missed too much class now. This means we have to once again figure out a way to be together.

How would it work with us getting married if he is on a dwindling student visa? Which country would we have a better chance in...America or Austria? We want the fastest way to be together legally forever with no worries. We did not get married earlier because I was still in school.

How can he stay here legally? Any way for him to appeal to the school? Or are we screwed now that he is no longer in school.

Any info on situations like this would be useful! We can live in either place!
THANK YOU!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Please help US gal und Austrian guy in Love!

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:20 pm

Ehrlich gesagt, it does not sound like a very healthy situation. If he is dropping out of school, there is probably a reason he is not focussing on it very well.

I would suggest you think long and hard all aspects of the relationship before even considering getting married. Do not get married for visa purposes - you will surely regret it, again and again. Get married only because the relationship is solid and good and that you both really want to be part it of forever.

Praetorian
Newly Registered

Post by Praetorian » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:07 pm

If your trying to see which country is easier, the U.S. is the obvious choice. Marrying him would garuntee him American citizenship. Although as it has been said getting married for visa purposes is not a good idea. But who am i to stand in the way of love!

John

Post by John » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Which country would we have a better chance in...America or Austria?
Oh if those were your only choices! Welcome to the wonderful world of the EU!

As an Austrian citizen he is entitled to exercise EU/EEA Treaty Rights in many European countries, including for example, the UK. That right extends to his non-EEA family members! So if the two of you got married you would be his family member, then the two of you could live in the UK. Treaty Rights include the ability to work or study etc..

To do so you would need an EEA Family Permit in your passport .... distinctly easier to get than a spouse visa that would be issued to the spouse of a British Citizen.

But a basic question ..... wherever you live .... how are the two of you going to survive economically?
John