ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 after MPhil

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajesh21
Newly Registered

Tier 4 after MPhil

Post by rajesh21 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I came to UK in 2009 to do my MA. My visa was for one year (16-09-2009 to 27-01-2011).
I then enrolled for an MPhil, and I was granted a visa for 3 years. (09-03-2011 to 30-01-2014), and then extended my program for another 6 months. My visa was extended. (07-03-2014 to 09-10-2014).

Totally, I have spent four and a half years in a Tier 4 visa.

I am now applying for my PhD, and one university told me that: I have already had a Tier 4 student visa for the last four and a half years, including the last three+ years for a research degree. I would need another Tier 4 visa for four years to cover the PhD and this means that I would be over the eight year cap set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). They say that they cannot issue CAS for this reason.

Manchester university was ready to take me, and had readied their CAS (I was told this by their admission department) but later, as my interview did not go well, they backed out.

As far as I know, If the Tier 4 application is to study a PhD (or one of the postgraduate research qualifications listed in Annex 6 of the Home Office's Tier 4 Policy Guidance) at a higher education institution, there is no limit while you are studying the PhD.

I have applied to a few other universities and am waiting to hear from them. Will they issue CAS? Is the 8 year CAP applicable in my case?

I am literally freaking out, tensed and upset because of this. Pleeeese, pleese, give me an answer how to go about with this.

samaygrg

Re: Tier 4 after MPhil

Post by samaygrg » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi
I think there are plentiful of universities where they offer precisely 3 yrs PhD program. I think you should try on them.

cheers

rajesh21
Newly Registered

Post by rajesh21 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks samaygrg, As I have completed my MPhil I think Universities I have applied to, would agree for a three year PhD. Four years PhDs are generally amalgamated courses. They will enrol you for an MPhil, and later would upgrade you to PhD. I hope they would give me a three year CAS, as I have applied for a direct PhD. I will keep you posted. I'm in touch with the university which responded with 8 year cap as an issue. But, I am also hearing that the eight year cap is not applicable in my case, as I am applying for PhD. Is that so?

samaygrg

Post by samaygrg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:09 am

rajesh21 wrote:Thanks samaygrg, As I have completed my MPhil I think Universities I have applied to, would agree for a three year PhD. Four years PhDs are generally amalgamated courses. They will enrol you for an MPhil, and later would upgrade you to PhD. I hope they would give me a three year CAS, as I have applied for a direct PhD. I will keep you posted. I'm in touch with the university which responded with 8 year cap as an issue. But, I am also hearing that the eight year cap is not applicable in my case, as I am applying for PhD. Is that so?

What I reckon is, you should sell your issues to the admin people not over phone neither in email, get in person and explain them out. because of recent immigration issues, I think all academic institutes are strictly sticking to the rules and wants stay clean.

Another way is, I wonder if you have developed a communication with your proposed project's supervisor, dept head or professor. If they like you research proposal, they will convince the admin crew on your behalf.

As final resort, if your previous MPhil grade and finding was worth expanding, you can request relevant universities' relevant department to make it in 'Sandwich' program and continue your PhD second year [shorter PhD]. You can first give a go in the same uni where you did ur MPhil.

Hope any of these ring any bells.
Cheers