ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Irish Passport from Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

adl

Child Irish Passport from Northern Ireland

Post by adl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could help me regarding Irish passport application of my recently born baby.
I have been living and working fulltime in Northern Ireland for more than last 4 years under UK immigration laws.
I would like to apply Irish nationality from Northern Ireland (Passport Express Service). I am attaching following documents for this application

1. Completed and signed APS 2E Form for passport.
2. Baby full birth certificate confirms that baby burn in Northern Ireland.
3. Attested Baby photographs
4. My original passports showing legal permission/visa to stay in the UK
5. Copies of all my previous bank statements, employment letters, P60s and home electric bills to show that I have been living and working in Northern Ireland for last 4 years

Could anyone guide me with my baby passport application, do I need to also include any of the documents below?

1. Certificate of Nationality for my baby
2. Or completed Form C – Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956
3. Could I send photo copies of my passports instead of sending original

any advice, information or comments highly apreciated
thanks
Adl

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing

Re: Child Irish Passport from Northern Ireland

Post by rachellynn1972 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 pm

You need to explain how your baby is qualified to be an irish. Mere living legally in northern ireland and having baby does not give the baby a citizenship.
its either parents must be an irish. Its only pissible if you are legally living in ireland for more than 3yrs but in your case you said northern ireland which is in the uk.
beloved is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, justify the different treatment of those people, both socially and legally.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:04 pm

rachellynn1972 wrote:You need to explain how your baby is qualified to be an irish. Mere living legally in northern ireland and having baby does not give the baby a citizenship.
its either parents must be an irish. Its only pissible if you are legally living in ireland for more than 3yrs but in your case you said northern ireland which is in the uk.
Under Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts, Northern Ireland is considered part of "the island of Ireland", so if the baby was born in Northern Ireland and the parent(s) were legally resident in the island of Ireland (i.e. the 32 counties), then it is possible for the child to have a claim to Irish Citizenship.

OP, can you give us some more details, was your child born pre-2005, or post-2005?

If the child was born on or after 1st Jan 2005, what nationality/status do you and the mother of the child hold? British, Irish, EU/EEA, Swiss Confederation, non-EEA, non-EEA but a Refugee, non-EEA but entitled to reside in the UK under British immigration law?

adl

Post by adl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:27 pm

doesnotcompute wrote:
rachellynn1972 wrote:You need to explain how your baby is qualified to be an irish. Mere living legally in northern ireland and having baby does not give the baby a citizenship.
Under Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts, Northern Ireland is considered part of "the island of Ireland", so if the baby was born in Northern Ireland and the parent(s) were legally resident in the island of Ireland (i.e. the 32 counties), then it is possible for the child to have a claim to Irish Citizenship.

OP, can you give us some more details, was your child born pre-2005, or post-2005?

If the child was born on or after 1st Jan 2005, what nationality/status do you and the mother of the child hold? British, Irish, EU/EEA, Swiss Confederation, non-EEA, non-EEA but a Refugee, non-EEA but entitled to reside in the UK under British immigration law?
Thanks for your comments
Baby just borned couple of weeks ago therefore post-2005
I am non-EEA but entitled to reside (Northern Ireland) or in the UK under British immigration law. I am currently hold Tier 1 General Immigration Visa accroding to UK immigration laws and I have been living and working fulltime in Norhern Ireland last 4 years. my wife holds dependent visa of mine.

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing

Post by rachellynn1972 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:14 pm

doesnotcompute wrote:

Pls before you quote try and get your fact right. It better to address the op not to quote me. The act stated is only applicable to spouses of an Irish under immigration law. If you are in the north one of the a parent must be Irish
Op must be living in republic of Ireland under Irish immigration law for the baby to be entitled to Irish passport. After the raferandum in 2004, a baby born in the island of Ireland is not entitle to Irish citizen only if one of the parent is an Irish in exemption to those under Irish immigration law.
OP, can y
beloved is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, justify the different treatment of those people, both socially and legally.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:05 pm

rachellynn1972 wrote: Pls before you quote try and get your fact right. It better to address the op not to quote me. The act stated is only applicable to spouses of an Irish under immigration law. If you are in the north one of the a parent must be Irish
Op must be living in republic of Ireland under Irish immigration law for the baby to be entitled to Irish passport. After the raferandum in 2004, a baby born in the island of Ireland is not entitle to Irish citizen only if one of the parent is an Irish in exemption to those under Irish immigration law.
OP, can y
There may be some useful info on this thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 43676.html

Re: rachellynn1972. It is not necessary for one of the parents to be Irish:
"Children of foreign national parents:
A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency. A child born in Ireland to a parent who has been granted refugee status is also automatically entitled to Irish citizenship.

Under the provisions of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004, children born of other foreign national parents in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 are not automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. These parents must prove that they have a genuine link to Ireland. This will be evidenced by their having 3 out of the previous 4 years reckonable residence in the island of Ireland immediately before the birth of the child. On proof of a genuine link to Ireland their child will be entitled to Irish citizenship and can apply for a certificate of nationality - see 'How to apply' below." (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... tml#l1f4da)

Just to clarify...

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing

Post by rachellynn1972 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:46 am

Nice link but confusing in regards to residency restrictions
Last edited by rachellynn1972 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing

Post by rachellynn1972 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:48 am

Thanks for that link, according to the link we are some how on the same line in a different angle. The op said she only got document to for 4yrs living in the north, can't say what document the op hold. A British citizen have no residence restrictions. What are documents with no residence restriction? E.g British citizen, EU citizen with permanent residence, non EU citizen with permanent residence, refugee status, indefinitely leave to remain, discretional leave to remain, and some that i may miss in the UK of which is northern Ireland. Any other document holder apart from this have residence restriction. Again we may say EU citizen and family member residence card may also fall into a good category because of right to reside. Anyway let's advice op to apply it may help us clear out these issue.

adl

Post by adl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:39 am

chaoclive wrote:
rachellynn1972 wrote: Pls before you quote try and get your fact right. It better to address the op not to quote me. The act stated is only applicable to spouses of an Irish under immigration law. If you are in the north one of the a parent must be Irish
OP, can y
There may be some useful info on this thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 43676.html

Re: rachellynn1972. It is not necessary for one of the parents to be Irish:
"Children of foreign national parents:
A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency. A child born in Ireland to a parent who has been granted refugee status is also automatically entitled to Irish citizenship.

Under the provisions of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004, children born of other foreign national parents in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 are not automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. These parents must prove that they have a genuine link to Ireland. This will be evidenced by their having 3 out of the previous 4 years reckonable residence in the island of Ireland immediately before the birth of the child. On proof of a genuine link to Ireland their child will be entitled to Irish citizenship and can apply for a certificate of nationality - see 'How to apply' below." (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... tml#l1f4da)

Just to clarify...
Thanks for comments and clarification
thanks once again :)

mgb

Post by mgb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:27 am

[quote="rachellynn1972"]Nice link but confusing in regards to residency restrictions[/quote]

If a parent is entitled to reside in Northern Ireland without any restriction on his or her period of residence the 3 year rule doesn't apply.
Same for the republic.