ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

To move or not to move?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Janie
Newly Registered

To move or not to move?

Post by Janie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi there,

I am a mature student (43) in my second year of University studying Occipational therapy. I am married with 10 year old twins. We are starting to think about Canada as an option and understant that OT is on the 'wanted' list! My husband is a HGV class one driver and would want to work but not to stay away....are there any short haul jobs available?

Have been researching different areas of :D the country that would be good for family, pets, have good transport links and job opportunities. Really looking for quality of life.

We are likely to have approx $200,000 to come with. Will that be enough? Where could we buy a decent sized property for that in a safe area?

Any help would be so appreciated

jrge

Re: To move or not to move?

Post by jrge » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply!

Let's talk about you first: even with higher education your credentials will have to be compared/assessed to find the equivalent with Canadian Standards. You also might be tested by a Provincial Board (depending where you end up).

Now your husband: in Western Canada (Saskatchewan - Alberta) jobs are more than plenty, hence he should be able pick and choose.

Money: $200k will be sufficient to get you started and to put a decent down payment. In the city I live, the average home costs $385k. Mind you there are 2 bedroom condos (flats) you might buy for $210k - $230k. But new homes are on extremely high demand and depending on location, size, and the builder you use, they start at $480k.
Life is short, so let's get moving!
* Passport received: Family Permit approved AUG-22, 2011
* Landed in the UK: DEC-04TH-2011
* Received RC: MAR-21ST-2012
* Back to North-America Jul 2012