ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A Different Kind of Marriage Visa Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Emmie80
Newly Registered

A Different Kind of Marriage Visa Question

Post by Emmie80 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:10 am

Hello All,
Thank you for your time.
I am a Canadian citizen and my fiance has ILR in the UK. We have decided to get married and settle in the UK, not in Canada.

The problem is this: I have a 13 year old daughter and am currently going through the family court proceedings in order to gain the right to leave Canada with her and eventually settle in the UK.

I would love to marry my fiancee ( six year long distance relationship with frequent visits) in the UK and then return to Canada. We would wait in Canada until the family court proceedings are over and then have my future husband sponsor us.

Is this even possible? I know about fiancee visa, but I am not planning to settle or remain with my future husband in the UK immediately and would apply for the spousal visa from the outside when the time is right.

Why can't I just get married using the Marriage Visitor Visa, leave UK and then get sponsored later on? Surely they could not find our marriage invalid.

Also, we cannot get married in Canada because these people HATE TO issue visitor visas to fiancees, assuming automatically that they would never ever leave Canada. We would practically have to lie if my fiance has any chance of visiting Canada as a tourist. We don't want to do that! How vain and paranoid! The government of Canada is happy taxing me, a single mom 30% of my salary, but would not let me be happy and marry my fiance!

Please help me, I could not find a clear answer anywhere.
Thank you once more!

Casa

Re: A Different Kind of Marriage Visa Question

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:36 am

You're correct that you can apply for a Marriage Visit Visa, return to Canada after the wedding and apply for a spouse visa from Canada when you're ready.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Emmie80
Newly Registered

Post by Emmie80 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Thank You so much! You have made me so happy :)

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Pleased to help.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.