ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT: English requirement for Tier 2 (General) visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ukvisat2

URGENT: English requirement for Tier 2 (General) visa

Post by ukvisat2 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm

I have earned a PhD from University of Vienna in 2012 and the UKBA points-based calculator shows zero point for PhD qualification. My PhD award was taught and researched in English and I have a letter from my PhD supervisor as an evidence of it.

I had made a query about English requirement on the UK Visas and Immigration International inquiry service (https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/) and their response is as follows;

"With regard to your query, please be explained that your current award would be sufficient for English language requirement for Tier 2 (general) visa if your PhD award is recognized by UK NARIC."

The statement given in the UKBA guidelines (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _08-14.pdf) that made me confuse

"140. If you are applying under Tier 2 (General) or Tier 2 (Minister of Religion), you can only score points for your degree being taught in English where it was taught in one of the countries listed above or you can find your degree on the English language section of the points-based calculator."

Would the statement of comparability from UK NARIC be sufficient for English requirement? Or do I still need to pass ILETS exam?

Thanks in advance!

Amber
Mood:

Re: URGENT: English requirement for Tier 2 (General) visa

Post by Amber » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:29 pm

You need to get a UKNARIC statement of comparability.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ukvisat2

Post by ukvisat2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Amber wrote:You need to get a UKNARIC statement of comparability.
I have got the refusal of my Tier 2 (General) visa because of English language requirement.
I have submitted UK NARIC statement of comparability and original degree along with my visa application.

repeatcell
Mood:

Post by repeatcell » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:15 pm

What did the refusal letter actually mention?
I will be applying for a visa next week. I do get 10 points in the UKBA calculator but was wondering if I also need to submit a letter from the university along with the degree, or just the degree is enough to be eligible for the required points along with a print-out of the assessment?

ukvisat2

Post by ukvisat2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 pm

repeatcell wrote:What did the refusal letter actually mention?
I will be applying for a visa next week. I do get 10 points in the UKBA calculator but was wondering if I also need to submit a letter from the university along with the degree, or just the degree is enough to be eligible for the required points along with a print-out of the assessment?
They give the reference of Paragraph 7of this Appendix B https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ndix_B.pdf

That states;
is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree (not a Master's degree or a PhD) in the UK, and UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language learning or above

repeatcell
Mood:

Post by repeatcell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:57 am

I will be applying for a visa next week. I do get 10 points in the UKBA calculator but was wondering if I also need to submit a letter from the university along with the original degree to be eligible to claim points for the English language.

Ishika

Post by Ishika » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:52 am

Hi there,

Has anyone got success or refusal for their tier 2 general visa with their Master degree on the basis of below:

...is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree (not a Master's degree or a PhD) in the UK, and UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language learning or above

My master degree shows up on UKBA calculator and I gain 10 points against it. I do have statement of comparability that states 'My master degree is comparable to UK master degree'.

Can some one please suggest if this is sufficient for new tier 2 general visa?

Thanks,
Ishika

ukvisat2

Post by ukvisat2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:13 am

Last month, I got refusal of my tier 2 visa entry clearance because of English language requirement. They did not consider my PhD and Master degree.

If your BS level degree is not from English speaking country, go for IELTS test.

DAMPAAJI
Newly Registered

Post by DAMPAAJI » Sat May 23, 2015 4:22 am

I have a UK naric English language statement saying my degree is of level c1 (bachelors).

However it doesn't give me any point on PBS.

Will it be sufficient for me to get teir 2 or I should sit a test.

Thank you.

bhim_singh25

Post by bhim_singh25 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:57 am

Hi All,

I got my visa Tier 2 general migrant on 20/05/2015.My degree was not getting 10 point from UKBA point base calculator before applying visa, So i applied to getting letter from UK Naric.

They (UK Visa department) normally required two letter from UK Naric those are 1) English Language Assessment 2) Statement of comparability.If these two are with english language level minimum CFER Level B1 and your degree is equivalent to UK bachelor degree then , there is no issue for getting visa tier 2.

Or if you are not satisfy with UK Naric , then go for IELTS exam only.

Regards
Bhim

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat May 23, 2015 10:44 am

ukvisat2 wrote:I have earned a PhD from University of Vienna in 2012 and the UKBA points-based calculator shows zero point for PhD qualification. My PhD award was taught and researched in English and I have a letter from my PhD supervisor as an evidence of it.

I had made a query about English requirement on the UK Visas and Immigration International inquiry service (https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/) and their response is as follows;

"With regard to your query, please be explained that your current award would be sufficient for English language requirement for Tier 2 (general) visa if your PhD award is recognized by UK NARIC."

The statement given in the UKBA guidelines (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _08-14.pdf) that made me confuse

"140. If you are applying under Tier 2 (General) or Tier 2 (Minister of Religion), you can only score points for your degree being taught in English where it was taught in one of the countries listed above or you can find your degree on the English language section of the points-based calculator."

Would the statement of comparability from UK NARIC be sufficient for English requirement? Or do I still need to pass ILETS exam?
the current requirements are in 139-140 of the T2 policy guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_2015.pdf

Thanks in advance!

bluebit
Newly Registered

Post by bluebit » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Dear friends,
I have Tier 2 (General) Visa application appointment in the next month.
I am going to apply for NARIC to assess my PhD qualification including comparability check and English language CEFR level C1 test which are required for work permit Tier 2 at UK. My PhD is from Spain on 2015.

Is there any experience in a same case? Does the NARIC certify the English C1 level on your degree? Is there any case from European countries (e.g., Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Italy, Germany, ...) specially from Spain?

Thanks friends.
Hopefully, all of you get the UK Tier 2 visa.

bluebit
Newly Registered

Post by bluebit » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:50 am

bhim_singh25 wrote:Hi All,

I got my visa Tier 2 general migrant on 20/05/2015.My degree was not getting 10 point from UKBA point base calculator before applying visa, So i applied to getting letter from UK Naric.

They (UK Visa department) normally required two letter from UK Naric those are 1) English Language Assessment 2) Statement of comparability.If these two are with english language level minimum CFER Level B1 and your degree is equivalent to UK bachelor degree then , there is no issue for getting visa tier 2.

Or if you are not satisfy with UK Naric , then go for IELTS exam only.

Regards
Bhim
1- Could you please tell me what degree do you send to NARIC? BSc or MSc or PhD? and from which country did you graduated?
2- Did you just show two letters from NARIC to UK embassy? Nothing else?

giuliagiulia
Newly Registered

Post by giuliagiulia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Ok, I have been in the same situation. PhD from Italy but not recognized automatically as researched/taught in English.

I spent a good two weeks studying all related rules and checking in internet, asking my new employer's immigration team, asking approved advisors for these issues and still having doubts. I could have seated an IELTS test instead, but that would require me to wait for another 2-3 months, by which time the CoS would have expired and anyway the employer wanted me to start asap therefore in the following paragraph I explain what happened.

I successfully got the visa without going through NARIC submitting:
- A Headed letter, signed and stamped from the PhD issuing Institution that certified/stated that the PhD was researched and taught entirely in English;
- My IELTS certificate that at the time was 5 years old - they require the IELTS certificate to be issued not more than two years from the application data;
- A long letter of explanation citing the differing paragraphs of the Tier 2 application guide related to the English language requirement and that how what I had was compatible with what they required.

Hope this helps! I think since the requirement specification is not clear, the final decision is at the discretion of the HO officer that takes the decision for your application.

bluebit
Newly Registered

Post by bluebit » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:37 am

giuliagiulia wrote:Ok, I have been in the same situation. PhD from Italy but not recognized automatically as researched/taught in English.

I spent a good two weeks studying all related rules and checking in internet, asking my new employer's immigration team, asking approved advisors for these issues and still having doubts. I could have seated an IELTS test instead, but that would require me to wait for another 2-3 months, by which time the CoS would have expired and anyway the employer wanted me to start asap therefore in the following paragraph I explain what happened.

I successfully got the visa without going through NARIC submitting:
- A Headed letter, signed and stamped from the PhD issuing Institution that certified/stated that the PhD was researched and taught entirely in English;
- My IELTS certificate that at the time was 5 years old - they require the IELTS certificate to be issued not more than two years from the application data;
- A long letter of explanation citing the differing paragraphs of the Tier 2 application guide related to the English language requirement and that how what I had was compatible with what they required.

Hope this helps! I think since the requirement specification is not clear, the final decision is at the discretion of the HO officer that takes the decision for your application.

Hi :-)
Thank you for your advice.
Since the UKVI for Tier 2 states that either IELTS language B1 level or NARIC confirmation over the university degrees, but you did a mix of both :-)

As I understand, you did not request NARIC services for the letter of comparability and/or English language test over your PhD. Am I right?

I understand what you prepared for your Tier 2 application including a Header letter from university and your expired IELTS. I have both also. I could not understand the third letter you prepared as a long letter of explanation of a situation. Could you please clarify this letter?

Thank you,
Amin

bluebit
Newly Registered

Post by bluebit » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi,
My one-year MSc degree from Sweden on 2011 assessed successfully by NARIC as CEFR C1.
So, Can I apply for Visa Tier 2 (General) for English language 10 points?

My main concern is about one-year degree not two-year!!

Is there any help?