ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for newborn

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

atifsauban
Newly Registered

ILR for newborn

Post by atifsauban » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi there,
I am an Indian citizen settled here in the UK on ILR. As we cannot have dual nationality, I have opted to keep my Indian passport with ILR.

I would like to register my son for the Indian Nationality at the Indian High commission, obtain an Indian passport for him and then apply for a UK visa probably ILR? We do not want a British Passport for him.

I phoned the home office help line to query what category I need to apply, but they haven't got a clue.

Could someone please let me know under what category can I apply for my son's ILR?

Thanks in advance

Obie
Ireland

Re: ILR for newborn

Post by Obie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Well because your child was born in the UK at a time when you had ILR, he/she is automatically a a British Citizen.

If you don't want to get a passport, you can apply for a Certificate of right of abode, or apply for ILR using form SET(F).

I can see why the people are confused, as a British Child does not require leave, or subject to immigration control.

The possibility of applying for overseas citizen of India passport is also open to you, should you wish to apply for a British passport.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:03 am

A British child cannot apply for leave under the immigration rules. The child needs either a British Passport or CoE.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

atifsauban
Newly Registered

Post by atifsauban » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks Obie & Aber.

If I apply for an Indian passport for my son and Certificate of Abode, would that be a valid travel document?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:04 pm

He should be alright. Certificate of Entitlement to Abode is usually affixed on the holder's passport.

Also see Certificate of Entitlement.

atifsauban
Newly Registered

Post by atifsauban » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Obie/Amber,

I am about to apply for a premium ILR application using set F which costs £1493.

But Amber's reply below puts me off track that this could not be the right category for my son's ILR. Reluctant to apply for a CoE as this would only be valid for the duration of the passport (about 5 years initially) and we have to re-apply every few years unlike the ILR which is indefinite.
Amber wrote:A British child cannot apply for leave under the immigration rules. The child needs either a British Passport or CoE.
If you guys could confirm that set F would be Ok , I would be much relieved.

If god forbid, it turns out to be the incorrect category when we go in person do I lose all my money which is a significant amount?

Thanks again in advance for clarifying my doubts.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Me and my colleagues advised your that your child is not required or entilted to leave to remain as Section 3(2) of the rules is designed for people who do not have the right of abode and require leave to remain.

As you child has the right of abode by virtue of Section 2(1) , he or she could avoid applying for British passport, which will engage Indian law, and instead go for the Certificate of entitlement to right of Abode.

I am not sure which other way to explain this.

Right of abode is like ILR, affixed on his/her Indian Passport.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:11 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm

Thanks Vinny. Hopefully that will put to bed the issues in this thread.

atifsauban
Newly Registered

Post by atifsauban » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 am

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your kind advice and help.

We have now received our son's passport back with the CoE to Right of Abode and this only took 16 days.

Best Regards